Army or Marines?

Damien435 said:
Well, we might as well let this thread die, I started filling out Enlistment papers for the Army today, well technically yesterday since it is 4 AM, anyways, I plan on going infantry, probably Rangers, I will have to talk to some counselor guy who will basically listen to me for 15 mintues and know what I should be doing, I am not exactly sure how that works out. So, anyways, by this time next year I should be off to basic.

If you read through previous threads in this forum you will find what you need to ask for when negotiating your contract. Be aware, if you do opt for the 11X, Option 40 (Infantry w/ abn school and a chance to pass RIP) you may have to hold out for a slot to open up. If he tells you "No, we don't have any Option 40 contracts but how about this lovely MP slot" .. walk out if having the chance to become a Ranger is what you really want. They'll call you back.

JUST JOIN THE BRANCH THAT YOUR HEART TELLS YOU TOO. JUST LIKE MOST OF THE OTHER PEOPLE HAVE STATED INFANTRY IS INFANTRY AND WAR IS HELL, SOMETIMES INFANTRY CAN BE FUN AND SOMETIMES IT CAN SUCK, I'VE SEEN BOTH SIDES OF IT AND ID DO IT AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT.

SEMPER FI, :m16shoot:

Pertaining to there being more pride in joining the Marines, I read this once. I found it interesting.

Ask a coastguardsman what he does, he'll say "I'm in the Coast Guard."

Ask an airman what he does, he'll say "I'm in the Air Force."

Ask a soldier what he does, he'll say "I'm in the Army."

Ask a sailor what he does, he'll say "I'm in the Navy."

Ask a Marine what he does, he'll say "I am a Marine."
icon_blues.gif

Yeah, I got really pissed after I started filling out the papers. I joined the Army because they said they only had a few slots open Airborne and Jump school and I was told that if I joined right then and there I would get the options. So a week later when I went into the MEPS to get my physical and finish my paperwork I got an unwanted surprise. Congress apparently froze enlistments for Jump School and Rangers Training because they wanted to evaluate how many positions they would need so as to save money (now they start trying to save money, why don't they just cut funding for SETI?). Basically I got the shaft, I got a 5K signing bonus and I am doing OSUT instead of the typical 9 week basic and 9 week AIT, I didn't get the Ranger School option and I did not get the Jump School option, but I am "supposedly" going to Europe (Cough, Iraq, Cough) for 12-18 months, which just means I will be in a unit Based in Europe but stationed in Iraq, I did not want to join the 10th Mountain either, train with Canucks for a while and then bam way down to Australia, two different extremes, even though I live in South Dakota I hate cold weather, so that was not for me. Whatever I guess, once I get done with my 4 years I am considering re-enlisting, then I will make sure I get Ranger Training and Jump School, if I don't get it in the first 4 years.

You have to keep positive. Just because you didn't get it right away doesn't mean you can't attend it down the road. Just keep your head up and you'll fine. :) However you need to first prove you are a good soldier and then you'll have lots more options open up to you. Just keep your head up and morale up. It won't be that bad.

Even though I am only a pogue, I would go Marine Corps, but I am also biased. I love my life in the Marine Corps, not saying you can't in the Army either. Definately talk to the recruiters but keep in mind that recruiters are trying to recruit people and have been known to tell you what you want to hear. Take it in with an open mind still though.

undecided, Marines or Army?

Im currently a junior in college and am very interested in the military, but im still undecided about which brach i should join. Can someone tell me which branch has more opportunities for an officer? I would also like to know what are the roles of a officer in special forces such as the Rangers or Force Recon. thanks

Just based on the fact that it's a much larger branch, the Army will have more opportunities for an officer, however, I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor. You should evaluate which branch best suits you and what you would be most comfortable doing. As for the roles of an officer in Special Forces, or Force Recon, I would suggest you start employing one of the most important qualities of leadership - self initiative. You'll find officer roles well defined for both areas if you do some looking.

I would suggest that before even considering Force Recon as a career path that you first attend OCS, TBS, Infantry Officers Course, put some time in as a PC in a line company and learn to be an Officer of Marines.
The openings in FR Companies are few and only the best of the best Officers and Enlisted who INDOC for Force are accepted.

If you are enlisting for the High Speed low drag titles and shiney badges then you may want to rethink.

As far as Mustang Officers (Prior Enlisted) I don't fully agree that they attain more respect automatically. An Officers ability to lead whether Prior Enlisted or Commissioned from the Academies or ROTC is what garners them their respect.

03's correct about mustangs. Being one myself I can readily back that up. You do get a different consideration by the troops if, and I emphasize if they even know you are a mustang and most will not. Respect for the rank is demanded, but respect for the individual is earned. Whether a Major or a Corporal, I would rather have the respect I'd earned - that's what leads troops and that's what wins battles. I've seen great officers who came straight out of ROTC as well as from prior enlisted. I've seen less than stellar ones from either as well. Having been enlisted first is a great tool in making a fine officer, but it is no guarantee.

The post that originated 03's and my comments has been deleted apparently.

Better? Well my own opinion says it is. You gain alot by knowing how the troops feel about things by being one yourself for awhile. If it were up to me, I'd make it a rule that all officers must have spent at least two years enlisted prior to being commissioned. However, as I said earlier, service time enlisted would be a useful tool in making a fine officer and is no guarantee that you will become one. By far the majority of officers never spent a day enlisted and nearly every one is a good officer and many become great officers. Bad officers occur among both mustangs and non-mustangs. Thankfully they are few and far between.

I agree with Charge 110%. I served under several Mustangs and LDO's. For the most part their being prior enlisted didn't come into play. You wouldn't even know they were Prior Enlisted unless you saw their ribbons during an Alpha Inspection. Or in the case of some LDO's their age gave it away :lol: .

Good Officers are Good regardless of their back ground. Bad officers are Bad regardless of their back ground.

I served with very few Bad Officers.

Army or Marines

Im not sure weather I want to join the army or the marines.

Benefits and money arent important to me. I just want to do something I can be proud of. I want to be the best trained and strongest soldier I can be. I want to be infantry in either the army or the marines, Im most interested in anti-tank. I also want to have the best equipment availble to me if I had to fight. Also im not sure if I would like to be stuck on a ship for months at a time. But I also dont like the idea of drill instructors or army or marines being soft or worried about being to hard on people or not being PC. Also what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each (not counting health benefits and pay)?

Which branch do you think is right for me?

Thats a decision you have to make. Any advantages or disadvantages will be up to you and how you view particular situations.

As far as health benefits pay etc. Doesn't matter they are the same across the board for all services.

Alright, I know I told you before that I'd be attending the Army ROTC program at Temple, but I found out a nearby campus has NROTC, granting me to option to go into the Marine Corps instead if I'd like to.

I still fully intend to be an Infantry Officer regardless of branch.

I'm thinking I may prefer the Marines, due to their infamous warrior ethos and noted hardcore attitude. They really seem like my kind of outfit.

There are a few things that bug me a little bit about it, though. NROTC seems a lot more focused on the Navy, and I'm a little worried about being lumped in with the Navy training when all I would really want would be Marine training.

Has anyone gone through NROTC Marine Option? Is it a pain to have to go through the same training as the Navy guys for the first two years? Also, how difficult is it to get the Marine Option? The last thing I want is to go into this intent on the Marines, and then to not get the Marine option.

So, as you can see, I'm thinking Army ROTC might offer more the kind of classes I'm looking for. Then again, it may very well be worth the N in NROTC in order to get with the Marines.

The Army, however, does have the Rangers, who are very cool. I'm concerned, though, that I may not make it into the Rangers, especially since I'm trying for officer.

So which branch do you think I should join?

So which branch do you think I should join?

Honestly, infantry is infantry. Marine Corps or Army, you're going to find the "warrior ethos" and "hardcore attitude" in the units.

No one can tell you which branch they think you should join, and anybody that would probably lacks experience. This is a choice only you can make. Do research, ask questions and see which one appeals to you most.

Honestly, infantry is infantry. Marine Corps or Army, you're going to find the "warrior ethos" and "hardcore attitude" in the units.

No one can tell you which branch they think you should join, and anybody that would probably lacks experience. This is a choice only you can make. Do research, ask questions and see which one appeals to you most.
Very, very good advice.
Remember, only you will have to live with your choice.

And take this for what its worth, if you don't think you'll make it through RIP or Ranger school... you WONT. No one else can tell you what is the right fit for you. My advice is to find a recruiter or an active duty service member in the branch you are thinking of after researching it on your own so you don't waste their time and then ask them intelligent questions about what its like and what to expect and then see what fits you.

And take this for what its worth, if you don't think you'll make it through RIP or Ranger school... you WONT. No one else can tell you what is the right fit for you. My advice is to find a recruiter or an active duty service member in the branch you are thinking of after researching it on your own so you don't waste their time and then ask them intelligent questions about what its like and what to expect and then see what fits you.

I'm sorry, this was also a fairly stupid question, in retrospect.

It's a very difficult decision, and one that will pretty much map out the remainder of my life.

I don't know what I was hoping for. No magic answer will float to me, and I know that.

Upon rereading my post, I've realized that I have indirectly insulted Army Infantry via omission. I didn't even mention them. Sorry! Anyone who joins the military has my total respect.

I will definitely do myself some more research on the matter.

But, there are still a couple questions in my mind about the differences between the two branches.

In the USMC, how much time on average would one expect to spend aboard a ship? Keep in mind I'm talking about infantry. If the Marines spend months of their time couped up aboard a ship, they may not be for me. I am a big guy, about six foot five, and I love big wide open spaces. As in, not the interior of a ship.

And, not to be rude or presumptuous, are the Marines really all they're played up to be? I know their whole thing on the commercials and information on their website is that they are the best; The Few, The Proud, The Marines. But are they really that much better?

Please don't see this in any way as belittlement of the Corps, I am honestly curious. Do keep in mind that my perspective is totally civilian, and I am asking these questions hoping for an affirmation of the Marines' reputation.

Because, if that is the case, and the Marines really are the best, then perhaps the unpleasant time spent aboard a ship would be worth it.

Thanks,
Luke

Back