Army or Marines?

I would recommend the USAF and become a combat forward air controler or a pararescueman (PJ) you get flight pay as a PJ

Whoa there dude, never was dissing the Army. NEVER said that. Sorry if you had a bad reaction to it. Im just saying. Thats what the MArine Recruiter told me. Not that the Army was insignificant or weak because i know that they definetely arent. I dont know where you got all mad about it but if i said something that you didnt like then im sorry but thats what the Recruiter told me. I would never have anything bad to say about the Army. I mean if you look at it more closely, there is some truth to it. I know a lot of people who are going into the Army because of college, or wanting to be a certain something. What the recruiter told me is that when you lok at it, and you see the military commercials, the Army ones always offer you what?.........Money, money for college, bonus things ya know whatever. Or they say you can be something, a technician, a pilot, a Ranger, etc etc. You lok at Marines commercials and what do you see?.............Overcoming obstacles. They have never mentioned any bonuses, college funds etc etc. In fact the only talking in them are at the end, when the narrator says " Find your place among the Few..The proud...The Marines." And as a question: DTop: Where was the disrespect for the people who have gone through it? Im talking ( or trying to) to someone who wants to be in the military. I was just relaying what the recruiter told me about the Marines. Sorry if i was helping out...And im in no way saying the Marines ar harder than the Army because of course i havent been there. I go to Church every Sunday, i think that has a tremendous effect on my attitude and respect. Maybe if you knew me well you would know that im not "disrespectful". Im different than a lot of other 14 year olds. I know you have to work for what you want, i know to respect people (which i still dont know how i didnt) I was brought up well. I have my mother to thank and my Church.

If you're ultimate goal is to become a sniper, and that is the main reason you are joining, don't join at all.

If you want to serve your country, and eventually have hopes of becoming a sniper and feel you wouldn't want to serve more than four years without the designator, go Army. You'll have a better chance (if you're infantry) of getting a slot at Benning sniper school. You'll have to qualify, and then be selected. If you want more detailed training, you would have to be in SOF; Rangers, SF.

If you want to be a Marine, go into the Marine Corps. Right now, you have little or no chance of getting S/S in the Corps. That isn't to say in four years you won't have a chance, but you better be happy with being a Marine grunt.

thats what i was trying to say DTop. Just for better understanding. :)

SemperFi! said:
but thats what the Recruiter told me.

That is not an excuse, he may have said it first, but YOU repeated it, and if you plan to have any sort of career in the military, you better learn to take responsibility for your own actions.

"Whoa, dude" is also disrespectful (I would love to be there if you decide to address a 1stSGT that way once you join), and your original post WAS disrespectful as well. As you are having some trouble seeing this, I will lay it out for you, you make a point of characterizing the Army as some sort of haphazard organization composed of unmotivated or undedicated personnel, which is extremely insulting to every Soldier.

Excuse me sir, but i wasn't trying to be disrespectful, as i apologized already to DTop. And i do take responsiblity for my actions, but i didnt know what i did wrong. Now you have pointed that out to me. I never said the Army was haphazard or unmotivated, you point out to me where i stated that, and if i skimmed over something then i am truly sorry to everyone that i offended, and i also didnt know " Dude" was a bad term. And no, i wont address a 1stSGT like that, that would be common sense, and i have some of that :lol: .

IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, I AM SORRY. PLEASE FORGIVE ME AND I HOPE THAT THIS DOESNT MAKE YOU ALL HATE ME lol.

Oh and i might have been a little vague when i said:
Whoa there dude, never was dissing the Army. NEVER said that. Sorry if you had a bad reaction to it. Im just saying. Thats what the MArine Recruiter told me. Not that the Army was insignificant or weak because i know that they definetely arent.
That made it sound as if the RECRUITER was bagging on the Army, he wasnt doin that at all.

Again i am deeply sorry for anyone that i might have offended, i would never mean to belittle the Army or the fine people who fight for them and our fine country. For me... DTop, Redneck. I am sorry if i offended you. Thank you.

ROFL! I didnt know that. Shows how much i know about the GI Jargon lol. Im glad we settled this, because i dont lke it when people are mad at me, i want to straighten things out, and on further inspection, i saw that i was being a little harsh and irresponsible with the way i was talking. Again i apologize.

Snipers

Snipers are bad news, we had some Scout Snipers around were I was stationed at.

But for me, I could not be a sniper, I just prefer to blow shit up with C-4(Combat Eng. 101) LOL

But Snipers are bad ass, just not for me

ROFL! I would prefer a sniper/scout position a little more. i like sneakin and stuff like that. I think R. Lee Ermey said on Mail Call that snipers were ( im not entirely sure if it was him but i know that some kind of show like that said it) " strange birds". Probably just a few of them are though. IT would be a fun position though. :sniper:

In response to your comment SemperFi,

"The snipe was a bird prized for its delicacy in medieval England. However, hunters had a tough time catching the bird because of its alertness and speed. As firearms improved, hunters found it easier to shoot the birds, but only by hiding and waiting for the snipe to come within range. Soon, hunters who were particularly adept at catching the bird became known as snipers."

Personally, I would like a scout/sniper position as well. I love sneaking, I love being able to abolish the worst of the enemies (according to their actions, and because my country says they are bad), and I love the fact that you can engage targets much more effectively and at much greater distances. Most of all though, I feel I am good at it. I was given a shotgun for Christmas a few years ago and used it for my first year of deer hunting. I went through five boxes of shells, after that I picked up a rifle... two shots, two kills. I also use a rifle for ridding my yard of annoyances. I sit there for Twenty minutes or so until I see a little head pop up, and then I simply shoot it. I can hit a bottle cap at three hundred yards with my .223, with a 9x scope and the only instructions I’ve had were from my grandfather and those were "the bullet will go where you put those crosshairs".

" strange birds".

"The snipe was a bird

LOL Sunset, i should have clarified my "strange bird" comment. I meant the snipers as an individual, the person sniper. Like the Scouts/Snipers were kinda weird, but i used "strange birds" to say that, and it was a very weird coincidence too. But thats an interesting fact though. Thanks for the history! :)

[/quote]

TheSunsetSniper said:
I want to join the Military. Let me rephrase that. I am going to join the Military. However, at the moment I am not sure which branch. I want to be a sniper, and I understand that I cannot simply become a sniper right after basic. I believe you must be at least a Lance Corporal. Am I correct? I am really wondering which branch I should join. I have narrowed it down to the Marines or the Army. I'm am split 50/50, so any suggestions would be valued greatly.

Another I have worry is corrected vision. I wear contacts... do they accept people with corrected vision to be put in the field? I've been told that a sniper is not allowed to have corrected vision, however I have heard of snipers in Vietnam who wore glasses. I am completely confused on the matter.

I'm not worried about Basic... I am actually looking forward to it. I partly want to join the Marine Corps because of the longer boot camp and the crucible, but I do have a few questions about it. Firstly, I am wondering how long the initial fear lasts. By the next morning has most of it worn off or do you continue to shake in your boots through the entire thing? Secondly I am wondering if the movies I have seen are accurate. I've been told that a drill instructor is not allowed to hit you, however in movies like 'Full Metal Jacket' the recruits are punched numerous times, and my friend's father (a Marine who fought in Vietnam) confirmed the accuracy of this movie. Is it true? Do they hit you?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it. I'm pretty unsteady about my future.

IF i was a sniper i wouldve went to sniper school in the marine there the best sniper in the world. Army sniper are great and awsome like gordon and shugat (sorry about my spelling i am haven a bad day and i am sick). if you dont know who they are they won the medal of honor on october 3rd 1993. They voulenteer to guard the 2nd crash site and hold it till the ground force arrive but they got overan so they gave them two sniper medal of honor. God bless them.

Ok, I know I am going to join the armed forces after I graduate next year, I know it won't be the Navy or Air Force, unless I go for security in those branches, so that basically leaves me with either the Army or the Marines. I have talked to other people who were in the military, so far about 2/3's have suggested joining the Marines and the other 1/3 have suggested the Army, so, here I go.

I have always wanted to be in the Infantry, front line combat is the life for me, I don't know why but for some reason that just sounds, while not exactly fun, better than any other options. I like the thought of joining the Marines because they will probably get me more front line combat experience, but my Grandpa was in the Army and one of my friends just joined the 10th Mountain Division. My main problem with the Army is that it doesn't seem like much oh a challenge, when they show boot camp in the Army and Marines it is like watching two entirely different shows, one they yell, cuss, make you feel less than human (bet you can guess which one), in the other they start off mean but they very quickly turn compassionate (that was the Army). I don't want to join just to go kill a bunch of people, I want to join because 1. I want to help other people who are unable to fight for their own rights, and 2. I feel that it is everyone's civic duty to serve in the armed forces, I want a draft so I figure I better lead by example.

Anyways, I was hoping that other people on here may be able to help out. And since this is my future and I am planning on going carreer in which ever branch I choose this is very important for me.

I like the thought of joining the Marines because they will probably get me more front line combat experience

Wrong. Infantry is infantry, Army or Marines - during a war, doesn't matter who you are with, you are going to be on the "front lines." I suggest you think long and hard about that "front line combat experience" you desire. If you are simply looking for some "action", go out to south central LA and shout racial slurs. You may want to think long and hard about your reasons.

My main problem with the Army is that it doesn't seem like much oh a challenge, when they show boot camp in the Army and Marines it is like watching two entirely different shows, one they yell, cuss, make you feel less than human (bet you can guess which one), in the other they start off mean but they very quickly turn compassionate (that was the Army).

So, because they do not yell and curse - it isn't a challenge? Army basic is different than Marine boot, from the length to training styles. IMO, the USMC has the right idea when it comes to training new recruits and the Army has gotten side tracked and bogged down with PC bollocks along the way. That does not mean that the Army itself is not challenging. Infantry life is hard, no matter who you are serving with.

Look at both of the services, find out your options, see what best fits you. I've served with both the Army and Corps, and neither were/are easy.

Btw, as soon as this thread becomes an Army vs Marine Corps .. Soldier vs Marine, who is better thread - it gets locked, so everyone behave.

Back