Army making plans to be in Iraq thru 2009

Duty Honor Country

oh boy, in 2009, 2LT Doody might be going to Iraq :roll:

Army chief says troop level in Iraq may last through 2009
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Army is planning for the possibility of keeping the current number of soldiers in Iraq — well over 100,000 — for four more years, the Army's top general said Saturday.

In an Associated Press interview, Gen. Peter Schoomaker said the Army is prepared for the "worst case" in terms of the required level of troops in Iraq. He said the number could be adjusted lower if called for by slowing the force rotation or by shortening tours for soldiers.

Schoomaker said commanders in Iraq and others will decide how many troops will be needed next year and beyond. His responsibility is to provide them, trained and equipped.

About 138,000 U.S. troops, including about 25,000 Marines, are now in Iraq.

"We are now into '07-'09 in our planning," Schoomaker said, having completed work on the set of combat and support units that will be rotated into Iraq over the coming year for 12-month tours of duty.

READ MORE

Well thats small bit of good news. But why arn't we hearing this from Bush? Thats the part that worries me.

All the left, center and a few on the right have asked for as an exit strategy. As Senetor Hagel said yesterday "Stay the course is not a government policy".

I would have preferred it being no more than 2 years, but 4 years is better than no exit strategy at all.

I had figured within the next couple years almost all public tolerance of the war will be diminished.... given it's a "worst case" ..... still.....

Back