Army Dog Handler

FutureMedic

I was doing some research and I found that you have to join the Army as an MP and then apply to go to K9 Handler school. I was wondering, how long would the waiting list be and also, would it be possible to secure a slot to the Dog Handler school in your contract?

Best regards,

FM

Possible yeah. Probable not really. First you need to be assigned to a unit that has a K9 Section and then you have to apply for open billets.

Per a Recruiter there is no enlistment option for K9 handler. Also checked it out with my HQ's Recruiting/Retention SSG. K9 handler is an additional skill identifier.

You would need to enlist as an MP and request K9 after you get to your unit.

Thank you for the replies. I will be talking to a recruiter very soon. I imagine that slots for a K9 handler would be hard to come by and would only be given to those experienced few.

I actually saw the K9 school on the Discovery channel and they had guys from all the services but the class looked VERY small.

Another option might be to talk to the other services. I know the Air Force has dog handlers. Though I suspect that the policies are similar. Never know till you ask.

Back