Army Divers and Navy Seals

FutureArmyDiver

Can an Army Diver become a Navy seal after he leaves the army ?? Like, say i was to do my 4 years, then could I join the Navy and go into Navy Seals or no ??

Also, what about instead of navy seals, becoming a rescue diver for teh Coast guards ?

Can an Army Diver become a Navy seal after he leaves the army ?? Like, say i was to do my 4 years, then could I join the Navy and go into Navy Seals or no ??

Also, what about instead of navy seals, becoming a rescue diver for teh Coast guards ?

Different schools for different jobs.

For PJ send a PM to PJ24.
For BUD/s if there is no SEALs on here PM me, if I don´t know the answer I can get it for you.
I dunno if we have anyone here from the coast guard.

Make up your mind and go for it.
None of the above looks for quitters or people who are not selfstarters.

Good luck.
//KJ.

The two have nothing to do with each other. Army divers are not combat divers and will not receive the same training a SEAL would. That training is given at CDQC, ran by Army SOC. Army divers do not attend this course.

Now, could you serve as an Army diver, ETS and join the Navy to try out for SEAL? Yes, but they aren't going to care that you were an Army diver. You would have an advantage of already being familiar with general diving and water confidence, providing you make it that far in BUD/s.

There are three combatant diving courses in the US military, Navy, Army and Air Force run them.

The Coast Guard does not have rescue divers. They have rescue swimmers, big difference and they have no combatant role.

thank you for all the information, ill def look into the Seals after..

Oh so there called rescue swimmers, hank you for letting me know !!

Be careful about trying to be a SEAL. If you fail the training you are stuck as a sailor. If you are combat minded the Army or the Marines is a safer bet.

Thank you for all the information, I didnt know that about seals, I prob wont try for them then, im not really to keen on being a sailor.The rescue swimmer sounds like it would be a rewarding career.

Thank you for all the information, I didnt know that about seals, I prob wont try for them then, im not really to keen on being a sailor.The rescue swimmer sounds like it would be a rewarding career.

Cool, if you doubt you will make it at this early stage you are setting yourself up to fail.. Stay in the big green machine.

//KJ.

Be careful about trying to be a SEAL. If you fail the training you are stuck as a sailor. If you are combat minded the Army or the Marines is a safer bet.

If you join the Marines you can become a Seal, as Seals are drawn from both the Navy and Marines.

What?
Please provide a source for that claim.

As I understand it you can not be a SEAL if you are not Navy, hence Navy SEALs.
You can however as a Navy corpsman be attached to a Marine unit.

//KJ.

You have to understand the unique relationship between the US Navy and US Marines. Marines are part of the Department of the Navy, hence the term "Navy SEALs".

But here is a source as it applies to SEALs:

http://www.navy.mil/management/videodb/player/video.aspx?id=2619

Says nothing about Marines being elegible.
In service transfers talks about SAILORS.

Now I know some Marines goes through BUD/s but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
To become part of a SEAL Team you must be a sailor, complete BUD/s and SQT.
Marines heading for MARSOC may attend BUD/s still I am alittle unclear on that part but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
03 or PJ will know the poop on that.

//KJ.

Marines go through BUD/S? Where are you getting this information?

No. Navy and Coast Guard are eligible for BUD/S - Marines must do an interservice transfer to even think about going.

Says nothing about Marines being eligible.
In service transfers talks about SAILORS.

Now I know some Marines goes through BUD/s but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
To become part of a SEAL Team you must be a sailor, complete BUD/s and SQT.
Marines heading for MARSOC may attend BUD/s still I am alittle unclear on that part but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
03 or PJ will know the poop on that.

//KJ.

I stand corrected, only Navy or Coast Guard.
Marines may not have a "Special Forces" equivalent to SEALs or Delta, closest might be RECON or Sniper.

(not knocking anyones "Special Forces" but bad movies have distorted the meaning of "Special Forces")

But becoming part of any special force unit requires men to pass requirements at each level.

I took and passed the physical fitness test in boot camp (Then it was SEAL/UDT) which made me eligible to go SEAL after boot camp, it did not mean I would be guaranteed.
Strength is not the most important part in passing, endurance is.

MARSOC(Only formed in the last 5 years) can be seen here:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/default.aspx

Here is an interesting down loadable pdf(44 pages) on Special Forces world wide entitled Tip of the Spear :
http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Documents/Tip-Of-The-Spear/current-Tip-Of-Spear.pdf

SEALs are Navy. Only four Coasties per year may attend BUD/s and SQT, once they graduate they will be assigned a SEAL team like every other SEAL. Only when their team time is up will they return to the CG, so for all intents and purposes, they are Navy SEALs until they return to the CG.
I corrected that Marines could not become SEALs, but whatever.
I was talking about who can join the SEALs, thanks for confirming Coasties can apply and become SEALs as I stated.

There is one Special Forces element in the US Military and they belong to the Army, wear a green beret and have crappy beards. Their bread and butter is FID and UW, though like with all other SOF, they stay up on core requirements such as DA, HN, SR, etc. Like the SEALs, they are a Special Operations Force. Their title is Special Forces and no one else in the US military has claim to it.

There's really no distortion on what is and isn't Special Operations within the US military. It's pretty cut and dry.

I'm not trying to be a dick to you, but frankly, you don't know what you're talking about and all you've done is cause confusion with regards to the issue and make completely false statements.
"(not knocking anyones "Special Forces" but bad movies have distorted the meaning of "Special Forces")"quote chukpike

This was to point out the over use of "Special Forces", "Special Operation Forces" by young people wanting to join. "Special Forces" through improper usage has become a generic term

Since you are getting nit-picky:
Just for clarification SEALs are Naval Special Warfare personnel.

Source:
http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/seal/introduction.aspx

Maybe you can satisify what the overall worldwide understanding of whether "Special Forces" or "Special Operations Forces" is the proper generic term.

Last edited:
Back