Army is considering adding women to its new 'units of action

Duty Honor Country

Stars & Stripes

ARLINGTON, Va. — The Army is considering whether to formally add women to its new “units of action” structure — which includes combat units — a discussion that had opponents of women in combat up in arms.

Under a 10-year-old ban, women are not allowed to be part of combat units, such as armored cavalry or the infantry.

The Army has no intention of altering the ban against women in combat positions, according to Lt. Col. Chris Rodney, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon.

But as the war on terror has shown, from the Sept. 11 attacks to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, this conflict has no “front lines” from which women can be protected from combat.

Anywhere, at any time, can quickly become a front line, military and U.S. government leaders often point out.

To accommodate this new style of combat, which requires fast, flexible and often very violent responses, the Army is in the middle of “transforming” itself: a plan that places the emphasis on “units of action,” self-contained, self-reliant brigade combat teams that will replace the traditional large, cumbersome divisions...

READ MORE

I personally would not want to be in a combat situation, but as anything else, it's about personal choice, and if they have been trained, and have passed all of the rigors of physical training required, let women combat if they want.
But I can already tell you that when the first woman dies in combat, all hell's going to break lose on the homefront. I can guarantee you that.

There have already been women KIA'D the Convoy Lynch was part of had females KIA.

There was a female aviator who was a POW during the Gulf war as well Lynch this time around.

I doubt highly that the US military is opening up ground combat MOS's for females.

Sure women have died or been captured in the field, but not because they were actually in combat. The implications of a female dying while being sent to combat by the US Armed Forces in a combat MOS would be more impacting in terms of public opinion than a female sent because she happened to be at wrong place at the wrong time.

catalinargonzalez said:
Sure women have died or been captured in the field, but not because they were actually in combat. The implications of a female dying while being sent to combat by the US Armed Forces in a combat MOS would be more impacting in terms of public opinion than a female sent because she happened to be at wrong place at the wrong time.

When bullets are coming at you, that's combat. So yes, there have been female KIAs during combat. No, there have been no female KIAs assigned to a combat unit.

I understand what your saying. Which is why I said that I doubted that Combat MOS's would be opened to females.

And I don't know but lost or not. When the enemy is sending rounds your way whether your a grunt or a mechanic that is actually combat.

Back