Army booted.. join marines?

Pimpygrub

I was kicked out the army about 6 years ago with a general, under honorable conditions discharge. Ive talked to a recruiter for the marines (im 27 now) and he said it depends most on your re code on my dd214. I have ordered a new copy and its on the way so i can check. However, i was supposed to go to sniper school in the army but my company xo lost everyones packets so we lost the slots. Part of the reason i got myself thrown out. My question is, how hard would it be to still become a sniper like i had planned before at 27 years old.

You must have an 03xx MOS

You must meet the PFT score requirements

You must meet the Marksmanship requirements

You must meet the GT Score requirements

Minimum Requirements: As per HQMC School Quota Message:

Criteria: 60 days prior to a class convening, the G-3 at each division will receive a message from HQMC stating the number of funded quotas given to each division, the gear list, report date, and criteria for attending. THE FOLLOWING PREREQUISITES MUST BE MET BY THE REPORTING MARINE OR HE WILL BE RETURNED TO HIS UNIT:

1. Lance Corporal through Captain.
2. Infantry MOS or MOS 0203.
3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
4. Serving in or designated for assignment to a Scout Sniper billet.
5. Minimum of 12 months remaining on current contract upon completion of course
(Does not apply to reservist)
6. Must score a First Class PFT on course convene date.
7. Current rifle Expert. Must have qualified in the last fiscal year.
(Reservist can have a score three years old, but must be current Expert)
8. No courts martials or NJP within the last six months.
9. Minimum GT of 100.
10. No history of mental illness.
11. Must be a volunteer.
12. It is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, for the student to have completed the following MCI courses: Land Navigation, Patrolling, Calling and Adjusting Supporting Arms, and Reconnaissance Marine. It is also recommended but not required that the student have conducted basic Scout Sniper field skills: stalks, consealment, field sketches, range cards, range estimations, and firing of the M-40A1 prior to attending the course. Students should also posses a high degree of maturity, equanimity, and common sense.
13. Bottom line: the best, most experienced infantry you can send.

Marine Corps PFT: For a perfect score: 3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunchs under two minutes.
Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.

Two of the better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a Recon unit or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.

Strictly a wild stab in the dark here, but I would say to make sure your discharge code gets improved to Honorable first. Your overall chances of success should dramatically improve.

hmmm.....You don't typically get booted for them losing your MOS. They would usually keep you and just send you to a different school. If you got in trouble and kicked out for that, your RE code will probably be a 3 or 4 in which case the Marine Corps can do nothing with you.

It's awful on how our government decides the future of good soldiers by only referring to a form dd214, higher ups have a power issue. I am sorry if I have offended anyone on this but I have seen and heard stories of young teens that enlist and have been discharged and sickened over the decision of a DD214. These young men live day to day with a heavy heart... And nothing absolutely nothing can be done about it. It because "we said so" I personally do not think that teens out of high school should not be allowed to sign.. Law states drinking age 21. This should also apply to joining the military.

Last edited:
Back