Army to AF or get out?? - Page 2

--

July 18th, 2008  
03USMC

I'll tell ya this. It used to be real hard for a Marine to get into the USAF. Seems that Marines are aggressive and "too Military." to fit into the USAF culture without a cool off period. Got this from a buddy who got out of the Corps after his first hitch, (he was a microwave comm guy). Tried to join the zoomies, no soap. He ended up in the Army.

On the other hand both my younger brother and my oldest daughter love being Zoomies.
July 18th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Yeah, if I get in the Army as an NCO people, including myself, are expecting that it'll be a huge change and that I will struggle in the beginning adjusting to their culture and if I'm unlucky I very well could spend a little time in the brig. Hope it never comes to that.
July 22nd, 2008  
implicature

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Thoughts on the original question.

Get out.
If neither of you are ready to go through another deployment the only answer in my mind is to get out.

//KJ.
I wish it was that simple but it isn't that simple. I have a wife and two children. I don't have my BA yet so i don't have any formal training. I don't have any job experience in the field i am trying to get in to. I did my four years in the military for the sake of serving my country. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a strategic move to better myself and my family's financial situation present and future.

EDIT: Update

If i transition to the Army (which is a possibility) I will be trying for 35T Military Intelligence (MI) Systems Maintainer/Integrator anyone with insight please PM me.
--
July 22nd, 2008  
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by implicature
I wish it was that simple but it isn't that simple. I have a wife and two children. I don't have my BA yet so i don't have any formal training. I don't have any job experience in the field i am trying to get in to. I did my four years in the military for the sake of serving my country. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a strategic move to better myself and my family's financial situation present and future.
Sure I get your point.
In my mind the simple fact remains though, if your country is at war and you decide to stay in the armed forces, no matter what branch you will have to deal with the chance of getting deployed.
Not everyone thinks like me thank God, but some do and thank God for them too.

I thank you for your service, you have done a great bit for your nation during your four years.
If I can help out I will.
IŽll have a look around.

//KJ.
July 22nd, 2008  
A Can of Man

Yeah. You have to look out for yourself too.
July 25th, 2008  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I'll tell ya this. It used to be real hard for a Marine to get into the USAF. Seems that Marines are aggressive and "too Military." to fit into the USAF culture without a cool off period. Got this from a buddy who got out of the Corps after his first hitch, (he was a microwave comm guy). Tried to join the zoomies, no soap. He ended up in the Army.

On the other hand both my younger brother and my oldest daughter love being Zoomies.
I think that Marines going blue, would bring military discpline skills and a high level of professionalism to the gentlemen of the wild blue yonder, whats not to love?
July 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Sukio... lots of people hate that. There are in some places a culture among enlisted men that is based on not getting work done. They think you are an idiot if you work hard and that you are a tough guy if you don't listen to people. Obviously it's b/s. The only reason they get away with not listening is because of the rules that protect them. So if someone squared away shows up, they HATE it.
You'll find these in the civilian world too.
July 26th, 2008  
Yossarian

Oh.... NOT getting work done? Thats what I admire about military organizations, they are there to get the job done. I want to join the military so I thought it would logical way to think.
July 26th, 2008  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Sukio... lots of people hate that. There are in some places a culture among enlisted men that is based on not getting work done. They think you are an idiot if you work hard and that you are a tough guy if you don't listen to people. Obviously it's b/s. The only reason they get away with not listening is because of the rules that protect them. So if someone squared away shows up, they HATE it.
You'll find these in the civilian world too.

Yeah, strange how a 15 minute job can take 30 days for some people. I've spent so many working hours recently cleaning the mess after people who gives a d**m, but they aren't aware of the many holes in the regulations which will make them fall through in the end.
July 26th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Tell me about it! I once had to fill out 3 months worth of paperwork in one night because a guy didn't do it and went on leave and we were going to have inspection the next day. The guy lied right to my face, "It's all ready for inspection."
Holy crap. So I had to figure it all out... and it took all night. I didn't get any sleep. We passed inspection. Inspector said it seemed that we were doing a good job at keeping our records up to date. I have to admit it was a little inaccurate but it was the best I could do at the time.