Arming all Military Support Vehicles with turret mounted weapons?

Cdt Matteo

I'm not sure if the crews of support vehicles have a side arm or a rifle but I think giving them a turret would be very good at protecting them. Say, a 50cal. I saw videos on youtube about support vehicles underfire and they have no way to counter it. Sure they have a humvee infront of them but still, a turrent mounted weapon on them would be useful, just in case.
What are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if the crews of support vehicles have a side arm or a rifle but I think giving them a turret would be very good at protecting them. Say, a 50cal. I saw videos on youtube about support vehicles underfire and they have no way to counter it. Sure they have a humvee infront of them but still, a turrent mounted weapon on them would be useful, just in case.
What are your thoughts?

Not the right answer. The Army uses gun trucks for convoy protection. If you start adding turrets and armor, you lose a lot of the capeability that the support vehicle was designed for.
All soldiers are issues a basic weapon (M16 or M4). In many cases they are also given a 2nd sidearm (M9). They are expected to defend themselves until help arrives. In the case of Convoys you never stop your vehicle unless you cannot move around the vehicle in front of you. Speed is life. If it really hits the fan, the soldiers in the convoy and the gun trucks will have to hold on until the QRF gets there.

Back