Armenian Genocide

True to form, Bush throws morality to the wind when it suits him but will he succeed?

"President George W Bush has urged US legislators not to pass a resolution declaring the killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks to be genocide.

It is highly unusual for the White House to make such a dramatic last-minute intervention in Congressional business, the ... With the opposition Democrats now in charge in Congress, they could force a vote, dealing a potentially grave blow to the Bush administration's efforts to keep Turkey on side"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7038095.stm

Last edited:
In 1917, the Israel/Jordan/Lebanon area was held by the Turkish Ottoman empire. It was a very run-down affair, and the Turkish commander there offered The Zionist Movement the whole shebang in return for showing Turkey moral support in their denial of the Armenian genocide. As a principle, The Zionist Movement refused the offer.

o.gif
Turkey condemns US Armenia vote

The genocide bill passed in the House Foreign Affairs Committee by 27 votes to 21 - the first step towards holding a vote in the House of Representatives.
Divisions within the committee crossed party lines with eight Democrats voting against the measure and eight Republicans voting for it. President Bush had argued against a vote in favour of the bill, saying "its passage would do great harm to our relations with a key ally in Nato and in the global war on terror". http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7038900.stm

In what way is this lies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide

Interestingly Russia accepts this is Genocide whereas the United States, the United Kingdom, Ukraine, and Georgia, do not officially use the word genocide to describe these events.

Germany and Austria acknowledged its part in their Genocide to the point at which it is illegal to suggest otherwise in those countries. I am unsure if the need for free speech should take preference however.

I would find it hard to believe that this is a plot set up by a number of major nations to purely discredit the the Turkish people and that this "rumour" has persisted for 80 years.

What does amaze me is that the Turks are still denying the fact after all of these years. It's not pleasant, but it has happened and I seriously doubt that there is a person alive that was involved, so lets just admit that it happened learn a lesson from it and move on.

Agreed as well...

Although I wonder about the timing of such a declaration. Was their a massacre? Obviously YES. The Armenians were treated inhumanely in 1915, but it was 85 years ago. Its not like many people are still alive from back then.

But what advantage to we get by bring this up now, things are pretty strained with Turkey right now thanks to Bush's brilliant Foreign Policy strategy. Why make the situation worse?

Personally I think its a ploy of the Democrats to further embarrass and hamper Bush, know I have no problem with that in of itself, but not at the expense of our alliance with Turkey which is vital. They are best ally in the region.

I have discussed about it too many times. The ones that has no historical information about these events and no information about background of the events can call these events as genocide. But they don't know what really happened. They only want to blame Turkey for something. We opened our archieves to everyone to work on these events but noone came to investigate what happened in 1915. They didn't come because they know what really happened, they know that there is no genocide. We called Armenian historians, but noone around... Blah! Everyone only know how to accuse and how to blame. But noone knows how to search and investigate. And this is an historical event so historican must study on it , not politicans.
Armenians will be losers if they insist on such an unreal event. Yes something has happened, several Armenians died but several Turks died too. We were at a war, Armenians became bandits by the support of Russia and the other imperialist nations in the first world war. And we carried them to Syria not to allow them to be bandits. On the way to there they died, they were attacked. But there was no genocide. And also there were not any 1.500.000 Armenians in Ottoman soils, so how could it be possible to massacre 1.500.000 Armenians. This is an Imperial Game of Imperialist Nations. And Armenians should study on how to improve their nations and become one of the democratic and developed countries as Turkey. If they insist on these unreal events they will stay poor and underdeveloped forever.

Back