Armed Forces training

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hi all,

I'm going to begin to prep for the Canadian Armed Forces basic fitness requirements. But, I need some advice from those who have completed the basic test. *You don't have to have been in the Canadian Armed Forces*.

I'm really looking for tips, (what to focus on, etc.).

P.S: The tips don't have to be fitness-related, just anything that might help me.

Cheers!

hawky.

Well, Hawky, I am glad to note that you've made a decision to do something that you and some of us, if not all, will be proud of you...

I am positive that some of our forumers here would be able to help you out.

It’s a state of mind, hawky

The Royal Marines have a saying that goes: If you want to wear the Green Beret, start with what’s under it. It's actually quite simple. You need to know what you want. It can be difficult to figure this out - but once you know what you want, the only thing left to do is focus yourself absolutely and completely to achieving it. Force out all the negative thoughts. The last thing you should be thinking is "I can't do this!". Of course you can. If you focused all of your mental efforts on how you're going to achieve your goals rather than worrying that you can't achieve them, you'll have a lot more success.

If you're still unsure of how to achieve the focused state of mind here is a list of tips to improve your clarity and give you the steely determination you need to succeed:

1. From the moment you wake up each day, focus on what you want to achieve and get motivated to succeed.

2. Cut out (or at least down on) bad habits such as smoking, drinking and eating bad foods. Nothing ruins clarity like impurities in your body.

3. Focus on your short term goals. Your long term goals will materialise as an effect of the short term goals.

4. Be as self sufficient and reliant as possible. There won't always be people around to push you so you'll need to learn to push yourself further.

5. Never be satisfied. Always strive to achieve more.

6. Don't focus on limitations. Focus instead on what you want to achieve and the steps you need to take to get there.

7. Believe in yourself. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

8. If you struggle or falter, ask for help or advice.

One of the verses in the Monty python song "Always look at the bright side of life" goes like this:

If life seems jolly rotten
there’s something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

We used the song a lot during my training as an officer. When we were in deep s***, then someone always started to sing this song. Then we would say f*** all and move on.

Anyone can be trained up to the peak of physical fitness. Anyone’s military standards can (in theory, anyway) be raised to the standards of the SAS. But it´s not your physical ability or your skill at arms that matters. It´s your mental attitude, not only to be a soldier, but to life in general. The mental stamina coupled with a high level of physical fitness, is what separates you from the mere mortals. They are both core components to the puzzle. Without fitness, all the mental stamina in the world won't help if every muscle in your body is fully exhausted. Without mental stamina, all the fitness in the world won't be enough when everything in your being is telling you to stop.

If you can achieve this state of mind, then you’re halfway there.
Good luck and remember – it’s a state of mind!

Remember, once you start training, the instructors giving you grief everyday is designed to get you, and the rest of the recruits on your intake, working as a team. The idea behind it is to get you all pulling together against the nasty instructors. ;-)

Hi everyone,

I broke my finger tonight, looks like another two weeks that I will have to wait before the training can begin! :(

It’s a state of mind - Remember!

Advice #6
Don't focus on limitations. Focus instead on what you want to achieve and the steps you need to take to get there.

You´ve broken a finger - so what. There´s nothing wrong with your legs.
You can still run or ride your bike. There is no excuse for working out. It´s this mindset you need.

If you seriously want to be a soldier, then you need to take your preparations seriously.

It’s a state of mind - Remember!

Advice #6
Don't focus on limitations. Focus instead on what you want to achieve and the steps you need to take to get there.

You´ve broken a finger - so what. There´s nothing wrong with your legs.
You can still run or ride your bike. There is no excuse for working out. It´s this mindset you need.

If you seriously want to be a soldier, then you need to take your preparations seriously.

Now I know why you are in the Marines, friend...

I have nothing but respect for you...:bravo:

Hi everyone,

I broke my finger tonight, looks like another two weeks that I will have to wait before the training can begin! :(

You can still train. Maybe lay off the push ups. Run, swim or rid your bike. Anything that will raise your overall fitness.

A friend of mine, who is on course with me broke his foot yesterday. He still trains just a little differently to everyone else. Cant see why you can't train in some way.

Hawky what branch of the military are you thinking of joining?

My advice is, learn a trade that you can use once you leave the military.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the encouragement!! :) Opa Brit, I'm thinking of joining the Navy or Army! As to what I will do, I do not know yet. I do have some sort of Public Relations role in mind, but the recruiter may steer me in an entirely different direction, so we shall just have to see!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the encouragement!! :) Opa Brit, I'm thinking of joining the Navy or Army! As to what I will do, I do not know yet. I do have some sort of Public Relations role in mind, but the recruiter may steer me in an entirely different direction, so we shall just have to see!

I don't really get your motivation, when reading your post, why you specifically would like to join the armed forces... but that's not the point of this topic, you probably have them and that is what counts.

My experience is you best can do some workout, go running, go walking, just let your body work... but don't try to become a 'superman'...
Most important is not cheating on yourself... have seen a lot of 'pumped up guys' who did but who didn't reached finish line... WHY? Cheating is fooling your mind, and that's, upon me, the most important thing which must function correct.

:camo:

Back