Armed drill

Chyllaxen

Hello,

At my High school i am the armed drill team comander. and i must say i dotn want to ask for help but i need it we are suffering. We cant get any exibition routines down how can do this can anyone help me give me advise or more.?

"Help me Obi Wan Kanobi, you my only hope"

-Chyllaxen

Chyllaxen said:
Hello,

At my High school i am the armed drill team comander. and i must say i dotn want to ask for help but i need it we are suffering. We cant get any exibition routines down how can do this can anyone help me give me advise or more.?

-Chyllaxen
I'm not sure what the problem is because I don't understand what you said.

Last edited:
Chyllaxen said:
Hello,

-Chyllaxen
Practice is the key alot of practice to get everything down the way you want it.

We practice and practice Yet people show up randomly or not at all ... SHould I be Harder on them? Like make them do rifle P.T. cuz am lost:horsie:

Hey now, let's not start any of that.

If you've got people randomly showing up for DT or sometimes not at all, they shouldn't even be on the DT. Make sure they know that if they don't show up, they won't be on the Drill Team. Also, let your Officers know about this, and I'm sure they'll find a way to deal with this issue.

BTW: What program are you in? It says you're from Canada, but JROTC at the same time...

Chyllaxen said:
We practice and practice Yet people show up randomly or not at all ... SHould I be Harder on them? Like make them do rifle P.T. cuz am lost:horsie:

Rule is at my unit is that if someone is late or not wearing the proper uniform we do PT. But we usually do that because we feel like it :smile:.

Now doing PT won't make them all the sudden want to show up. Ask the people that are not showing up if they really want to be on the drill team. If they say yes, tell them it takes a comitment. If they are not able to meet that comitment, then you should politly give them the boot.

My thoughts.

I think I said something about starting that...more specifically the process of NOT starting it. So no more of this 'who doesn't know Drill Team'. Hooah?

I'm not a drill team commander, but I am a member of (armed and unarmed) regulation and unarmed exhibition drill teams as well as commander the Academic Team, so I see where you are coming from.

What specifically is your problem? From what I see so far, it seems like you have a discipline problem in your team. If members are not willing to show up, you must confront them and tell them that if they want to succeed as a member of the team, they must be willing to put in their time and effort to work as a TEAM, otherwise they'll just be wasting the time of the cadets who actually show up.

If they still don't want to come or cause any disruptions, by all means kick them out (if you can, you might not be able to if you can't get replacements). If they aren't willing to do their part, they shouldn't be allowed to spoil the fun for those who will. However, DON'T be trigger happy and just kick everyone out. Give them a chance to redeem themselves. Tell them how important this team is to the unit, and how they can help the unit by participating in it, not to mention how they'll win honor and glory for themselves!

Other than that, as someone said before, the key to doing anything well is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. There is no shortcut to victory, only through a lot of training will you get better. If you think your routine itself is bland, watch videos of other exhibition teams or professionals like the Silent Drill Team for ideas.

If you have any other problems, be more specific and we'll do our best to help. Good luck!

NCdt Steliga said:
I think I said something about starting that...more specifically the process of NOT starting it. So no more of this 'who doesn't know Drill Team'. Hooah?
Sorry...:-(

chronoserpent said:
it seems like you have a discipline problem in your team. If members are not willing to show up, you must confront them and tell them that if they want to succeed as a member of the team, they must be willing to put in their time and effort to work as a TEAM, otherwise they'll just be wasting the time of the cadets who actually show up.

If they still don't want to come or cause any disruptions, by all means kick them out. If they aren't willing to do their part, they shouldn't be allowed to spoil the fun for those who will. However, DON'T be trigger happy and just kick everyone out. Give them a chance to redeem themselves. Tell them how important this team is to the unit, and how they can help the unit by participating in it, not to mention how they'll win honor and glory for themselves!

Other than that, as someone said before, the key to doing anything well is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. There is no shortcut to victory, only through a lot of training will you get better. If you think your routine itself is bland, watch videos of other exhibition teams or professionals like the Silent Drill Team for ideas.
I completely agree. My unit is the best in area 13 in armed and unarmed. I know that we don't compete with you guys, but we're just across the water. Why don't you see if you can get ahold of my unit's Director, Captain Tetrick? (tee-trick) He teaches at South Kitsap Community High School. You can either look it up or pm me, and I'll sent it to you. I'm certain that he would be willing to put you in contact with our drill commanders and yall' could exchange some knowledge.

Hope I've helped in the slightest, and that you have good luck ahead!

If your team members are not showing up, that means they have no dedication. PT won't do the trick, but kicking them off or threating it usually will. It all depends on them. If they really want to be there, then they will see that you are serious about this, and if they don't then they will leave. It might leave you with a small block but I say I'd rather have 10 people who do want to be there and will dedicate themselves, than 30 people who 20 of them think it's stupid.

id say to just have a meeting with them and ask them what they would like to do for the routines

i am the xo for my drill teams, and we have meetings every so often and talk with the commanders about how their teams are doing

but the exhibition, i dont know my team just clicks, i guess you just have to have the right people, and the right respect for the leadership

well, dont just do basic spins, think outside the box, (and in our school if ya miss 3 practice then you leave the team).

also, Watch other teams in the comp and get ideas

PERFECT practice makes perfect .

im the xo for my drill teams and if they dont show up for a scheduled practice, without a valid excuse or previous notice the consiquences get worse PT Rifle PT Written up no drill team execises,no rotc involvement so on

Back