Arizona approves English as official language.....

Now how do we get this on the ballot for the other 49 states?

Maybe in the 2008 election we can get it on the national ballot.

I thought the fact that the national language was officially English that all the states abided by that law...This is sounding a bit like the way it was before the formation of the Union...All the states wanted different laws...History repeats itself, and all that...

Henderson can you provide a link about your claim to English being the official language of the country at the federal level? Everything I am finding contradicts your claim.

As for the states having different laws, that's how its supposed to be in a federal system such as ours. I think I am going to spend a little time and locate a good Constitutional Law history for you and some of our other young Americans as I am becoming rapidly convinced that our education system is NOT educating you guys on this. Conventional wisdom does not translate to truth.

By English gentlemen, do you mean the Queen's or that corruption of the English language spaked badly in the colonies?

:confused:

Oh well...Since it isn't, it should be...What kind of nation would we be if we had to have translators for a Congressional meeting because every state speaks a different language? Not a very united one, thats for sure.

The United States of America does not have a legal official language.

As a immigrant I support the move. Folks coming to the USA should become American. Learn the lingo.

i would have to say that corrupt, bastardized version. works for me....

Me too dagonnit.

By the by, speaking of language and all. Did you know that speaking French (as in the expression "excuse my French") is punishable under the UCMJ art. 134 and 117?

I got a few laughs when I put it out that way. Good thing French is not the official language eh?

Congrats Arizona, I always thought English as the official language was a unwritten law. Anyways... just to be safe, everyone learn Espanol.

Congrats Arizona, I always thought English as the official language was a unwritten law. Anyways... just to be safe, everyone learn Espanol.

How about just to be safe everyone learns English :pirate: arrrrrgh....lol, I just wanted to use that smiley......

Crap, about 15% of the posters on this forum can't even spell correctly or string together a coherent sentence, why do you think Arizona is going to fare any better??

Crap, about 15% of the posters on this forum can't even spell correctly or string together a coherent sentence, why do you think Arizona is going to fare any better??

Very true, however the English language is also extremely complex. So, I guess as long as you can convey your thoughts in an understandable manner you wouldn't be doing that bad.

Then again this is a forum and most people don't stress grammar and spelling as much as they would if it was say, on their resume or term paper.

Back