Arisaka or Enfield .303

Fox

Can you hear me now?
Hey, y'all, I need a little bit help about Arisaka and Enfield's bullet. Are they same kind of the bullet. 7.7mm cartridge?

The 7.7mm cartridge is essentially .303 Brit. with the rim removed. The bullets are interchangeable. 6.5 is the older cartridge. After some battlefield experience, the Japanese decided that they needed a heavier caliber rifle, and, as they did with many aspects of their weapons, they borrowed heavily from Western technology.

Links below for those who are curious.

History of the rifle: http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl22-e.htm

An example of said .303/7.7mm bullet for sale: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423174

Interesting websites. I have two Arisakas. I think they are Type 38. I bought 7.7mm Cartiridge from the Gun Show. And it's pretty fitted to Type 38.

They are free for me. My great uncle got them when he was in pacific theater against Japaneses.

I left out "to shoot." Depending on where you get the ammo, you'll be left paying around $1.75 per round. Surplus ammo is a collectors item and sells for much higher prices.

The Old Lee-Enfield

Just been reading these comments on the Jap 7.7 and the Enfield .303, some good comments form all round but being an Aussie I'm leaning toward Old faithfull myself the Lee-Enfield, I used them at High School in the Cadets back in the mid 1970's and now have a sweet collection from the Martini-Henry, Long Lee-Enfield, SMLE No.1 Mk.3. even one direct from Gallipoli, but anyway the Enfield is a sweet number to shoot and reloading is the fun of it all so hey if anybody out there wishes to know any more and I can help please give me a yell here and I'll do my best to help you out, who knows may be a good friend of mine who was a US Soldier who has an Enfield I gave him way back in the mid 1980's will say hi.

If anyone out there has some strange calibres like I do if you would like to share some laughs over them I'd like to hear your funnies, some strange calibres like 577-450, 577 Snider, 45-70 Trapdoor, 45-70 Rolling Block.

Have a good day shooting.

Scooby
(ex-Bombardier) :cheers:

"If you are forward of your position, your Artillery will fall short"

Being a Korean, I have a natural prejuidice against all things Japanese, so I hate the Arisaka. Also, I do know that Enfields are generally better than an average gun. Given these circumstances, I would of course prefer the Enfield over the Arisaka

I have dismantled and refurbished, but never fired an Arisaka from out local RSL hall (VFW). I was trained with the LeeEnfield and fired a lot of ammo through several Marks and Models, their only failing in my book being a 42,000lb/sq in., action and I dont know what the strength was of the Arisaka action but I dont think it would be significantly better.

I would take the Lee Enfield

Back