The Argies are sabre rattling again.

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Argentina will control the Falkland Islands within 20 years, the country's foreign minister has declared as he visits Britain.

Hector Timerman, in London for the first time, called the British "fanatics" as he claimed the UK was only interested in the islands because of their oil reserves.
He ruled out launching military action to end the long-standing dispute over their sovereignty but claimed Britain was internationally isolated in its claim.

His comments are the latest salvo in a 130-year-old dispute over the islands, which Argentina insists on calling the Malvinas.

"The United Kingdom has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity to find a solution for the Malvinas," Mr Timerman said in a joint interview with The Guardian and The Independent.

"I don't think it will take another 20 years. I think that the world is going through a process of understanding more and more that this is a colonial issue, an issue of colonialism, and that the people living there were transferred to the islands.

"We have been trying to find a peaceful solution for 180 years. I think the fanatics are not in Buenos Aires (but) maybe in the United Kingdom because they are 14,000km (8,700 miles) away from the islands.

"And I think they are using the people living in the islands for political (reasons) and to have access to oil and natural resources which belong to the Argentine people. I think we are not fanatical at all."

Mr Timerman had been due to meet Foreign Secretary William Hague during his visit but he pulled out when the Foreign Office said Falklanders would also be present.

"There is not one single country in the world which supports the right of the United Kingdom to govern over the Malvinas. Not one," he said on Thursday.

Mr Timerman later clashed with MPs when he appeared before the all-party group on Argentina, insisting again that Buenos Aires would not recognise the referendum.

"The self-determination referendum doesn't apply to the Malvinas. It is not a colonised people, it is a colonised territory," he said.

"It is not a matter for negotiation. Not one single country in the world recognises the sovereignty of the United Kingdom in the Malvinas.

"We have to respect the interests of the people living in the area, but not the wishes."

Hasn't he heard what the Falkland residents have said then? :roll:

It's all threat-less talk.

I'm tempted to find his office address and post him a copy of this :D:

falklands-marines_2114105c.jpg

I'll tell you something though, I wouldn't mind "rattling" the Argentine president!!

Makes a change to see a photo of the marines on the Falklands with their hands by their sides instead of above their heads! :D

Hasn't he heard what the Falkland residents have said then? :roll:

It's all threat-less talk.

I'm tempted to find his office address and post him a copy of this :D:

I'll tell you something though, I wouldn't mind "rattling" the Argentine president!!

He reckons the Falklander's don't enter into the picture. The Argies are pissed off because apparently there are oil reserves and they want to get their grubby little mitts on it..

Makes a change to see a photo of the marines on the Falklands with their hands by their sides instead of above their heads! :D

Ha ha ha ho ho ho! :box:

I know deep down you actually admire the work the (outnumbered) RM's did. It's ok, you don't have to admit it in front of everyone here. ;)

He reckons the Falklander's don't enter into the picture. The Argies are pissed off because apparently there are oil reserves and they want to get their grubby little mitts on it..

Oil and gas I believe!

If you look back at the history of the island, the Argentines are hardly even mentioned!

When it comes to "colonialism", history tells us Argentina are very good at it.

Oil and gas I believe!

If you look back at the history of the island, the Argentines are hardly even mentioned!

When it comes to "colonialism", history tells us Argentina are very good at it.

Yes they are, but we Brits were past masters at it.;):lol:

"Damn Fuzzy Wuzzies don't like it up em." Lance Corporal Jack Jones, Home Guard Walmington-on-Sea.

Last edited:
14,000km away from the islands!! Yes perhaps it was part of England millions years ago when the continents weren't apart and there was just one continent on the earth. But gradually these islands moved toward Argentina side and now they claim about it. they are very opportunist .

He's Old Bill, your not
He has the power to arrest, you haven't.

I don't really know much about this subject.

But, Hamidreza's a troll, and erm... I'm saving that smiley. I like that smiley.

Gives me something to reply with whenever Highway Man calls me terrible names such as "Shortarse". Or, "Half-pint." Or something even more expletive. :D

I'm saving that smiley. I like that smiley.

Gives me something to reply with whenever Highway Man calls me terrible names such as "Shortarse". Or, "Half-pint." Or something even more expletive. :D

I've done exactly the same! :D I'm also going to be using it in reply to smart arse Highway Man. :thumb:

Back