Argentine pilots break silence over World War Two

rock45

Argentine pilots break silence over World War Two

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:45am GMT
By David Ljunggren
OTTAWA (Reuters) - In early October 1942, Flight Lieutenant Donald McLarty was shot down over Libya on his 199th mission of World War Two. Although he was flying for Britain's Royal Air Force, his uniform was emblazoned with an unexpected word: Argentina.
Many foreigners fought for the various Allied air forces, but until now historians have largely focused on pilots from Czechoslovakia, Poland, France and Norway -- all of which were occupied by German forces.

Few realize that more than 800 young men from neutral Argentina, some of them schoolboys, rushed to sign up as pilots and then made the long, dangerous trip to Europe by boat.
When McLarty climbed into his Hurricane fighter-bomber for a low-level attack on a German base in Libya, he needed to complete just two more missions to earn a long break from active duty. It was not to be.
"It was a very stupid operation ... the moment we crossed the coast I could see the soldiers waiting," recalled McLarty, now 85.

Full story
http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKN0232993420071212?rpc=401&

You can pretty much add all of the forces from occupied territories, given the chance to fight they did so with great conviction.

If you want a good read I would suggest "Cassino - The Hollow Victory" as it has quite a bit of space dedicated to the Free French forces in Italy.

Now just who says these people where not appreciated, they were and still are. The only reason that more about them has not been heard is that Hollywood never mentions them

They would have marched with the units that they served with and not in countries of orgin. Larger countries like India and Australia {sorry I have mentioned all the countries} would have marched through under there own flag. But with a small number like a few hundred that were still scattered all over the globe, well NO they would not have paraded under there own flag. Please remember that i was at that march victory parade as a spectator

I am with Le Enfield. I grew up aware of the gallantry of the Polish efforts, and our air-force has always big-upped the Polish pilots, for example, as keen to be at the front and in the thick of it. As far as I know, Poles have always been welcome and accepted here as fine & respected allies.

There is by the way a large parade of the Ex Polish soldiers in Whitehall in London where they are thanked for what they did during WW2. Now the last of the parades that I attended of these was in 1993, but with passing of time and old father time taking it's toll of these brave men I don't know if it still goes on. This parade had taken place every year from 1945 till 1993 and know doubt it went on for a few more years after 1993.

Back