Argentina armor question

rock45

Does Argentina still produce there TAM tank anymore haven't heard anything about in a long time? They were going to produce a line of AFV, APC, and even SP guns too. The tank had a 105mm on it but not sure of much else.

they built about 500 of them as far as i know. similar to the marder icv, with the engine in the front rather than rear like most tanks. its a light tank really, although a bit heavy for that(30 ton).

Tam's tanks

Hi SHERMAN
Looks like a cool design for its time gun wise looks like it could take out T-54/55. So I assume it's used to take out other tanks in tanks traps or hit and run type setup but not tank vs tank, armor too thin. I found some information on today I'll attached it. I guess since its designed in Germany that maybe it might have had a better fire control then the Russian design during the same time. I sure today you could have a 105mm mounted on a wheeled vehicle. To be honest I know very little about these type vehicles in general I know of BTR-60/70 from way back but couldn't name all the French types that seem to be big back when. Besides the US, I know England, Brazil, and even South Africa produce these type in past. I changed over to following mainly aircraft when these vehicles were sporting big 90mm guns. I guess better aimed 30mm auto cannons does a better job in todays warfare. I think 23mm or 30mm rounds would rip apart a lightly armored TAM tank in today armor and mechanized warfare. Thanks for answering.
icon14.gif

http://www.enemyforces.com/tanks/tam.htm

the main problem for these vehicles, the same as MBTs, are atgms....and there are ways of avoiding them...naturally as someone who commands a 65 ton machine, i prefer a big tank...but i do see the advantages of lighter faster vehicles. espcially since argentinas terrain and infrustructure dose not always support the big monsters.

Argentina needs

I agree there's no way to avoid the atgms totally. Looking over a few countries armies in South America the Chilean-Argentinean (thing) goes back many years. Chile's army has a advantage over anything Argentina has armor wise but I don't expect a major tank war to break out. Chile's Leo I & II plus some AMX-30 kind of make Chile the armor kings of South America. This is a throw back to the 70s thinking when Peru fielded the T-54/55 in numbers. The border between Chile and Peru I guess could be good tank country but neither country could maintain large advancements against each other. Chile seem to be one of the more better equipped armed forces in the region. Don't know much about the French made AMX is it any good? Armor/speed/fire power compared to our?

AMX-30 is alot like the leo 1 probably...105mm gun, not much armor though...65 km is standart speed for mbt(a little fast)....

Tank questions

Is there enough known about the latest Chinese heavy tanks to know if there any good? I was at the SinoDefence web site looking around and saw tanks, artillery, etc all being produced by China now. I'm interested in land warfare and just wanted to know is there equipped good? Is any of China's more modern equipment and weapons produced in the last five to eight years battle proven? I did a few quick searches and didn't find anything big. Some weapons were sold in Africa but I'm not finding any large tank sales. According to there web site they produce everything under the sun and more.

India bought Russian T-90 main battle tanks and wanted know are they good performers?

Are Russian tanks still a little weak on crew safety

Thanks

its hard for anyone to really estimate new tanks since everything is top secret...i must say im not really familiar with any of their systems. i know in general terms but not in specifics. the only tank i know in depth is the merkava mk 2b, and the other meravas in lesser detail...but icant tell you about those....not anything you cant find online....wouldent want to find out it got to people who making good efforts to shove a Kornet down my throwt...:)

Armor

Thanks Sherman I just saw all those Chinese model tanks IFV, APC, SP, and so on and just wanted to know a little about them. I was thinking where in the world might there be the next big or major tank battle. Pakistan vs India, maybe but not likely, on a smaller scale maybe an African country or two. Then lets say if the US leaves Irag completely in two years most likely it will be more but say two. I think Iran once most of our heavy ground forces leaves the region could there ground forces makes a grab? I would think since our forces took out most of the Iraqi tanks and heavy equipment wouldn't it leave them a little weak? I understand in real life some US heavy forces are in or will be very near the region at all times. I guess air assets could take out Iran's mechanized forces pretty quick. What do you think?

Israel vs Syria

It's not 1973 anymore and I think Syria couldn't even start up all there tanks without the Israeli's knowing about it. Air power generally rules most battles at one time or another and the Israeli air is just too strong. Plus I think Israel would use a chance like this to hit many other different type targets in Syria that need TO GET bombed for a long time. And sucking in any outside fighters trying to help Syria would be a plus for Israel or the US. To this day I still don't know what keeps the US from taking out terror training camps or the Syrian units passing weapons over the border. I think they a huge part of all the mess over there for a long, long time, just my two cents.

Is there enough known about the latest Chinese heavy tanks to know if there any good? I was at the SinoDefence web site looking around and saw tanks, artillery, etc all being produced by China now. I'm interested in land warfare and just wanted to know is there equipped good? Is any of China's more modern equipment and weapons produced in the last five to eight years battle proven? I did a few quick searches and didn't find anything big. Some weapons were sold in Africa but I'm not finding any large tank sales. According to there web site they produce everything under the sun and more.

India bought Russian T-90 main battle tanks and wanted know are they good performers?

Are Russian tanks still a little weak on crew safety

Thanks

One should look at Pakistans order of battle when it comes to armored units, the majority of their tanks are from China, Iran also uses some older models with the likes of Type 59 and 69. Pakistans new MBT Al Khalid also has a Chinese background with a little twist of Ukrainian and French.

Yes India has purchased T-90S tanks with Algeria becoming the next customer. They are a major improvement over the T-72 series that includes a welded turret design that they copied from the Ukrainian T-84. This new turret design should offer better protection levels over the traditional cast turret design, new FCS will include the French Sagem 15 sighting system that the French have sold to Russia to build under license.
A major design flaw though that the Russians are having a bugger of a time resolving is the automatic loading system that causes two issues.

1. Prone to fire even though they state that they fixed that issue with a spall/fire liner that seperates the crew and ammunition. I find this doubtful
2. Rod length for their KE projectiles, they have basically run out of room.

And I almost forgot, but one should take a look at the Chinese Type 98/99 series tanks.

Back