With Arafat's Death, will there be peace?

Brotchador

Do you think that there will be peace in the middle-east now that PLO chairman Yasser Arafat is dead? or will the Palestinians engage in a bloody power struggle? will Israel benefit from his demise?

Comments please...

one of problem i want to point out is about the money

Arafat had firm control over the money so he has the control over everything

however, many ppl have doubts long ago that Arafat may not use all the money ppl donated for Palestinian ppl
in addition, a lot money are in accounts that only Arafat and his advisers know,
if Arafat dies suddenly without a will and sort of stuff, where are the money????

money is everything , remember...ppl in Palestine need money to live

A Short terms of conflict must happen.

BUt generally I don't think it will effect much. Arafat should have known his heal condition were bad and already choose the replacement.

yeah, but seems that all the possible replacements are not as good as Arafat, that may cause a lot trouble within Palestine and with Isreal

not as good as Arafat

What was he good for? He caused great damage to the Palestinians and great damage to Israel.

With him out of the way there is abetter chance for peace, but it will take a while.

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Yasser Arafat (news - web sites), revered as the beacon of Palestinian statehood but reviled as a sponsor of terrorism, died Thursday at the age of 75.
It looks like we're about to find out.

SHERMAN said:
not as good as Arafat

What was he good for? He caused great damage to the Palestinians and great damage to Israel.

With him out of the way there is abetter chance for peace, but it will take a while.

Mahmoud Abbas was just elected as PLO Chairman replacing Yasser Arafat. I understand he (Abbas) is considered as a moderate, has recognized Israel as a country and has distanced himself from PLO terror activities.

With him at the helm what are the chances there could be finally peace in the mid-east? and what about Hamas, Fatah? and the other radical palestine factions? would there not be a bloody struggle for recognizion among them for Palestinian supremacy?

:lol: . But there is hope but I dont think in this life time. Look how long it took to straighten Northern Ireland and thats still not right after 100s of years!!

dougal said:
:lol: . But there is hope but I dont think in this life time. Look how long it took to straighten Northern Ireland and thats still not right after 100s of years!!

i've often heard and read about the IRA, have you got a link where i can read all about the trouble in Ireland?

In my opinion it all depends on the next palestinian leader and if that person and israels leader gets along. Sorry I have a terrible memory of names. Quite embarrassing actually.

SHERMAN said:
not as good as Arafat

Sherman I ur a Israeli right?

I wonder what the Israeli really wanted there actually. Peace which Palestinian don't make conflict and control their own territory well? or u Israeli wanted to made them out of Israel land?

No offece,I juz want to know more about what the Israeli actually wanted.

AlexKall said:
In my opinion it all depends on the next palestinian leader and if that person and israels leader gets along. Sorry I have a terrible memory of names. Quite embarrassing actually.

It's been confirmed tha Mahmoud Abbas is the new PLO chief, but the question now is, Will he be able to control all the radical factions of the PLO? Hamas, Hezbollah et al? If not, What would he be able to achieve? What would the Israelis do if they come to the conclusion that Abbas is an ineffective leader? would they retain the status quo? or would they somehow try to influence events?

dougal said:

Thanks! :D i will try to read them all and come up with a better understanding of your problem with the Brits.

During the 90's Arafat changed his radical political views to a more moderate tone. Take the Camp David Meeting during the Clinton Administration as one example. The truth is that Arafat has two faces.

There will be a major power struggle within the PLO currently or in the near future. Since this event is immediate and surprising, I'll continue following the news update.

Sherman I ur a Israeli right?

I wonder what the Israeli really wanted there actually. Peace which Palestinian don't make conflict and control their own territory well? or u Israeli wanted to made them out of Israel land?

No offece,I juz want to know more about what the Israeli actually wanted

Non taken at all. I cant talk about all Israelis, as this is a democracy with many political view. But the most agreed upon notion is a Palestinian state with no military, in the west bank and gaza almost accordingly to the pre 1967 lines.

During the 90's Arafat changed his radical political views to a more moderate tone. Take the Camp David Meeting during the Clinton Administration as one example. The truth is that Arafat has two faces.

Arafat never could see the end of conflict ad revolution, because he was a terrorist and a revoluionist, not a diplomat or politician. He could have gotten almost eveything in 1999, but went to war.

Sherman Wrote:

Arafat never could see the end of conflict ad revolution, because he was a terrorist and a revoluionist, not a diplomat or politician. He could have gotten almost eveything in 1999, but went to war.

Arafat has no control over the Radical factions notorious for their bus bombings and terrorist attacks. I share my condolences with the Israeli people for the terror and destruction that have brung misery among the Israeli Population.

However, it is clear that despite his earlier times, Arafat has changed.

And what of the misery of the Palestinian people Secrecy? There is more to this than just 'terrorism'. The Israeli's are as bad as the Palestinians.

It is a very difficult situation, for all people. Lets just hope a peaceful agreement can come out of this.

And I apologize greatly if I have offended you SHERMAN or anyone at all with this statement; your a very tolerant and non-biast person in these discussions, and I respect you for that.

Back