With Arafat's Death, will there be peace?

And yes, The Palestinian people also suffered enormously. Homes destroyed, families torn apart, living in a never ending warzone, death....how can one endure such hardship?

All this talk about Arafat and the Palestinians prompted me to do a few searches to find other more knowledgeable opinions than my own on the subject. There are of course many. There was one in particular that I thought I'd share here and perhaps solicit opinions on. Here's the article in part. What are your thoughts on this article?

Isn't it interesting that prior to the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, there was no serious movement for a Palestinian homeland?

"Well, Farah," you might say, "that was before the Israelis seized the West Bank and Old Jerusalem."

That's true. In the Six-Day War, Israel captured Judea, Samaria and East Jerusalem. But they didn't capture these territories from Yasser Arafat. They captured them from Jordan's King Hussein. I can't help but wonder why all these Palestinians suddenly discovered their national identity after Israel won the war.

The truth is that Palestine is no more real than Never-Never Land. The first time the name was used was in 70 A.D. when the Romans committed genocide against the Jews, smashed the Temple and declared the land of Israel would be no more. From then on, the Romans promised, it would be known as Palestine. The name was derived from the Philistines, a Goliathian people conquered by the Jews centuries earlier. It was a way for the Romans to add insult to injury. They also tried to change the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, but that had even less staying power.

Palestine has never existed -- before or since -- as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly, by the British after World War I. The British agreed to restore at least part of the land to the Jewish people as their homeland.

There is no language known as Palestinian. There is no distinct Palestinian culture. There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians. Palestinians are Arabs, indistinguishable from Jordanians (another recent invention), Syrians, Lebanese, Iraqis, etc. Keep in mind that the Arabs control 99.9 percent of the Middle East lands. Israel represents one-tenth of 1 percent of the landmass.

But that's too much for the Arabs. They want it all. And that is ultimately what the fighting in Israel is about today. Greed. Pride. Envy. Covetousness. No matter how many land concessions the Israelis make, it will never be enough.

What about Islam's holy sites? There are none in Jerusalem.

Shocked? You should be. I don't expect you will ever hear this brutal truth from anyone else in the international media. It's just not politically correct.

Joseph Farah's entire article can be viewed at http://www.betar.co.uk/articles/betar1056647331.php

If he was such a terrorest how come he had great relationships with most world leaders?

I dont know much about the man, but he did repersent a people who would kill themselves to kill others.

dougal said:
If he was such a terrorest how come he had great relationships with most world leaders?

I dont know much about the man, but he did repersent a people who would kill themselves to kill others.

Right: to kill others. Innocent civilians, kids.

Arafat has no control over the Radical factions notorious for their bus bombings and terrorist attacks. I share my condolences with the Israeli people for the terror and destruction that have brung misery among the Israeli Population.

That is absurd. PLO has preformed many suicide bombings. Some of Arfafats own bodyguards were involved in suicide bombings. He was a trrorist. He always saw use of terror as the solution, and as a result the Palestinians are in their current shape...\Arafat esteblished the PLO in 59, 8 years before the six days war. common. Dont make a man of peace out of a man who refused to settele for 99% of the land and went to war.

As to his "great" relations with world leaders, Saddam Hussain was very popular amongst Europian leaders before 1991 as well....

That man is a terrorist.
He shook hands etc. to look good in front of the world and put Israel on the back foot.
The Nobel peace prize has always been a joke anyways.

Calling Arafat a terrorist is dangerous....reconsider the consequences please. The start of all this chaotic middle eastern conflict starts from here. I'm asking everyone to stop this one Pro-Israel side. Everyone suffers from this conflict, including the United States. Got it?

What would you prefer, "Freedom Fighter" ? When groups wage war by terror i.e. terror bombing campaigns against none military targets. Buses, schools, restaurants. Or shoot school children, house wives, or any civilian to spread terror, they are by definition terrorists.
Whether you agree with it or not most of the Islamic extremist groups and the PLO fall under that definition.

Arafat did have a few freinds in Europe, However his "Friends" Here in The USA wich of course were mostly Clinton and Carter, both of them just wanted peace.

He was a terrorist, Most Political leaders in the world do not have to wait for permision to leave thier HG without being fired on and do not have "...He was a Soilder" Chanted by a terrorist group with links back to his orginization at thier funeral.

An Israeli Sniper shot an innocent Palestinian Girl playing in the park. A Palestinian bus driver collided purposely injuring and killing Israeli several riders. More Palestinian civilians and Israeli are getting killed in the crossfire.

Both Israeli forces and Palestinians are ruthlessly killing each other.

Whether you agree with it or not most of the Islamic extremist groups and the PLO fall under that definition.

Yassir Arafat doesn't associate himself to the "Jihad" movement. He only supports for a Palestinian State disregarding religion. So in this case, the PLO is similar to the Black Hand movement.

And if you don't know the Black Hand movement:
During the early 20th Century, the Black Hand carried out assasinations, sabotage, terrorist activities in support of the Pan-Slavism movement hence, they want to form their own nation instead of Austrian control.

Is the PLO a freedom-fighter organization? That's a highly debated question.

But for the Islamic Extremists who supresses religious liberty and so forth, no their not freedom-fighters. PLO, Islamic Extremists, they're two different things. PLO already established their own small government, schools, public facilities, etc and looking forward to statehood. Jihadists and the like only want death and destruction.

Another thing, terrorists praises Arafat just because he has a Muslim Background. Don't mix up political perspectives and religious perspectives.

Now lets get back to the topic.

Once Arafat is gone, more violence will continue because of the various militant factions that are not associated with PLO.

Fine I will agree on the point of the PLO being an outwardly secular organization.
However they have still employed terrorist tactics. They fall in the same catagorey as The Basque Seperatists, IRA, Red Army Faction, Sendero Luminoso, MRTA, FARC etc etc.
Saying that they aren't terrorist because they don't get driven by Jihad does not wash.
A terrorist is made by their tactics.

I don't think PLO still employed Terrorist tactics. Most of the terrorist attacks where done by renegade organizations.

PLO did however had a history of carrying out Terrorist attacks in the past, but for now, it's had been bogged down because of International pressure.

I don't think PLO still employed Terrorist tactics. Most of the terrorist attacks where done by renegade organizations

You are wrong. PLO dose take part in suicide bombings and in firing of rockets on Israeli towns. You speak with no reakl knowledge of the situation here, and I suggest you research. PLO is not a fundamentalist organization, but it is a terror organization. he PLO has Fatch, Tanzim, Al Aqsa, and other organizations that are a part of it and partake in terror.

As to this:

Calling Arafat a terrorist is dangerous....reconsider the consequences please. The start of all this chaotic middle eastern conflict starts from here. I'm asking everyone to stop this one Pro-Israel side. Everyone suffers from this conflict, including the United States. Got it?

An Israeli Sniper shot an innocent Palestinian Girl playing in the park. A Palestinian bus driver collided purposely injuring and killing Israeli several riders. More Palestinian civilians and Israeli are getting killed in the crossfire.

What the heck are you talking about? Your posts show a lack of understanding of the conflict, the people involved, and the actions taken.
There is no comarison between the mmoun t of civilians killed on purpose. The Palestinians, including Arafat, kill civilians on purpose. Israel never had such a policy.

This is all off-topic, but your posts aqre so off-target i could not hold my self back.

hehe...And yet again, another fanatical Pro-Israel response. You really hate Palestinians and a Palestinian state, don't you?

And besides, do you really think the Fatch, Al-Aqsa and the rest really support Arafat? I don't think so. you're forgetting that there is a power struggle within the PLO and I can say that the leaders were happy that Arafat is gone. (First thing, they didn't agreed to Arafat's policies of holding back)

I think you are confusing hate and predjeduce for common sense and factual information.

I'm not supporting Palestine or Israel. What I'm supporting for is the halt of Aggressive Israeli Policies in the west bank and the PLO to curb Al Aqsa, Tanzim, and the rest to stop the terrorist attacks. Forget about the Hamas, they've already gone beyond what the PLO can handle.

And since Arafat is gone, PLO's future seems murky and bleak.

Arafat should have disarmed Hammas back in 1994, when he had 35000 armed police men, a bettalion of BRDM 2s, and Helicopters. Instead he decided to keep them around as a weapon against Israel. Now its going to turn right back and bite the PLO smack on the a$$. Another piece of Arafats "peace making"

There are plenty of stupid mistakes Arafat had made and I agree on that.
As I posted before, Arafat have two Faces and an enigma. Arafat's attempts to create peace is debatable. (This will be an excellent new topic if anyone cares to start one)

Arafat should have disarmed Hammas back in 1994, when he had 35000 armed police men, a bettalion of BRDM 2s, and Helicopters. Instead he decided to keep them around as a weapon against Israel. Now its going to turn right back and bite the PLO smack on the a$$. Another piece of Arafats "peace making"

He was afraid to loose power and support from the Palestinians.

Secrecy said:
you're forgetting that there is a power struggle within the PLO and I can say that the leaders were happy that Arafat is gone. (First thing, they didn't agreed to Arafat's policies of holding back)

Which is why the only look secular from a distance. While the politcal arm of the PLO might not currently commit terrorist acts. Their minions commit them in their name.

And Arafat condoned it at least.

Back