Arab Army

FlyingFrog

Arabs were before a big empire.

But in the past decades it seems they lost almost all wars, and are now still losing wars.

How do you think about Arab armies and their future (after some 30 years).

Why they are not performing too well in modern wars (although they got plenty amount money to buy weapons).

Thanks.

FlyingForg, I suggest reading Arabs At War, by Ken Pollack.

As for your question In general, Arab Empires were typically more secularized In the past, take the Ottaman Empire for example. Still, looking bake at the Ummayad dynasty we can see a definate reverance of warrior culture. You will see Mr. Pollack make the argument that modern Arab armies lose wars because of a poor Officer Corps, mostly at the Junior level.

I have problems recognizing what countries are arabs and which ones are not. Can you put a list of them?

thank you.

:p

Well, basically your entire Middle East (Minus Israel of course), plus Egypt, and some would consider Iran and even Turkey.

Well if you count Iranians as Arabs I bet all Iranians will jump 10 meters high and declare Holly War against you :)

Iran is Muslim but not Arab;
Turkey is Muslim but not Arab.

All others, like all North Africans (Egyptians, Morrocans, Algeriers) and Middle East countries (except Israel and Iran), are all Arabs.

IMHO the Arabs armies will continue to do poorly like it was pointed out earlier---poor junior officers, I totally agree with this. Also I think they still use old style Soviet tactics to fight against mordern armies. So they will pretty much will do poorly even in the future.

The time to start worrying about them, is if a Saladin or a Hannibal gets a hold of their armies, and exploits their strengths and or reforms them. This may still happen. Let's not forget they have a strategic asset in their oil.

list of Arab states:

Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Arab Amerites, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia, Algiria, Marocco.

If you tell a Turk he is an Arab he will bash your face in.

In fact, "Arab" is an insult in Turkey.

Mod:No more offtopics.

But if All those Arabs nations get united under one central government, I think they got a big potential to be a Major Power in M.E. and world wide.

They have got big population, big money, big oil, fanatic religion, proud history, if they really got united, their military will be awesome, I guess.

yes, but do you think the King of Marocco will agree to be a normal citizen? How about the president of Egypt? They cant all be the boss, and they all want to.

I agree.

Sunzi tactic, divide them and defeat them one by one.

That's why "1 chopstick is easy to break, 5 chopsticks together you can hardly break it more".

Still, some day in the future, they may get united, we cannot predict future, but there is well such a possibility.

What was the name of the film set in the world war 1 I think. Around that time. It was something like Prince Larance of the abrabians. About a English officer in comand of arab rebels against the Turkish army. Played by a man from Connemara in Galway?

FlyingFrog said:
But if All those Arabs nations get united under one central government, I think they got a big potential to be a Major Power in M.E. and world wide.

They have got big population, big money, big oil, fanatic religion, proud history, if they really got united, their military will be awesome, I guess.

I agree here. Also a definate threat with a mandate for world conquest.

I actually think someday this will happen, some of you know what I already think about this from another thread I started.

i am scared man. .. if arabians united, they control over half of oil in the world,
other big nations will just bow down to them, cuz they cant survive without oil

hope they never get united

I hope so too.

The problem is, they believe in certian prophecies that say they will someday be united under a great leader.

Whether these prophecies are true or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is that they think it is true, and they are going to try to make them happen. That's why I think someday they will be united and threat to world peace.

wowow....i am really scared..
everyone knows that Musilms are like so devoted (pray 5 times a day)

if they really believe in something, they stick into it, (like those suicide bombers)

if they really believe in unification,
they can do it,
the world will be changed profoundly

Back