Arab Army

--

November 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Topic: Arab Army

Arabs were before a big empire.

But in the past decades it seems they lost almost all wars, and are now still losing wars.

How do you think about Arab armies and their future (after some 30 years).

Why they are not performing too well in modern wars (although they got plenty amount money to buy weapons).

Thanks.
November 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

FlyingForg, I suggest reading Arabs At War, by Ken Pollack.

As for your question In general, Arab Empires were typically more secularized In the past, take the Ottaman Empire for example. Still, looking bake at the Ummayad dynasty we can see a definate reverance of warrior culture. You will see Mr. Pollack make the argument that modern Arab armies lose wars because of a poor Officer Corps, mostly at the Junior level.
November 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Thanks for the reference to Arabs at War.

But Ottomans (Turks) are not Arabs I guess.
--
November 8th, 2004  
G.A.F.E.S.

I have problems recognizing what countries are arabs and which ones are not. Can you put a list of them?

thank you.

:P
November 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Well, basically your entire Middle East (Minus Israel of course), plus Egypt, and some would consider Iran and even Turkey.
November 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Well if you count Iranians as Arabs I bet all Iranians will jump 10 meters high and declare Holly War against you

Iran is Muslim but not Arab;
Turkey is Muslim but not Arab.

All others, like all North Africans (Egyptians, Morrocans, Algeriers) and Middle East countries (except Israel and Iran), are all Arabs.
November 8th, 2004  
G.A.F.E.S.

Thank you.
November 9th, 2004  
gladius

IMHO the Arabs armies will continue to do poorly like it was pointed out earlier---poor junior officers, I totally agree with this. Also I think they still use old style Soviet tactics to fight against mordern armies. So they will pretty much will do poorly even in the future.

The time to start worrying about them, is if a Saladin or a Hannibal gets a hold of their armies, and exploits their strengths and or reforms them. This may still happen. Let's not forget they have a strategic asset in their oil.
November 9th, 2004  
SHERMAN

list of Arab states:

Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Arab Amerites, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia, Algiria, Marocco.
November 9th, 2004  
A Can of Man

If you tell a Turk he is an Arab he will bash your face in.

In fact, "Arab" is an insult in Turkey.

Mod:No more offtopics.