Applications to CF

Tibs

Hi, just have a few questions about the time it takes about the filling in the forms bit in the recruitment office. Well, if you guys can remember, I actually live in Hong Kong right now so I only have a limited time in the summer holidays in Canada (maybe a few days/a week or so since I plan on visiting UBC, UT, UA and RMC.....not sure how the hell I'm going to do that.....my parents sure won't be pleased with the expenditures...)
I realised I had to go get a form off a recuiter from the RMC website (though I seriously doubt I can get admitted).

Most of the people in my school send applications to uni. at the start of grade 12 (I'm in grade 11, we have grade 13 instead of prep school in British-pattern education). So including an extended extensive security check that will take up to several months, and taking into account I'll be 16 in the coming October, I believe that this will be the most suitable time for me to apply this summer.

Documents:
1. Do I need to go to World Education Services and have them assessed first?
2. Do I need any other documents? (i.e. Birth Records, passports, etc)
3. What documents do I need to fill in (I won't be 16 yet when I visit, does that mean I need a parents or legal guardians signature?)
4. Do I need to write my C.V. (Personal Statement, etc) at this stage? Would it be best if I had my school reports from every year, reports from my Boy Scout leaders, etc? I'm not too sure whether they take everything and keep it in a file cabinet (or send it to the RMC) or do they just have a look at it. That leaves me to another thought, if I'm applying for reserves and RMC at the same time, wouldn't that mean I need 2 valid copies of my high school transcript? Or do all my data get sent to the DND?

Recruitment Office:
4. What should be the first thing I do when I enter the office?
5. After I fill in the forms and give them all the things required, what happens? Do I need to stay a while longer and stuff?

Just a few questions in advance, I know I'm going a bit too far the line right now...I just found a bit of rather vague description when researching here:http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_1_5.asp

"Swimming - During Basic Training, you must also meet the military swim standard. This test involves jumping from a 3 metre board wearing a life jacket, then swimming 50 metres. You must also somersault into the water without a life jacket, tread water for two minutes, then swim 20 metres. If you cannot swim now, you are advised to take a basic swimming course before proceeding on training."

6. I'm concerned about this bit because I'm not a strong swimmer. When doing this test, do you wear clothes (or just swimmers)? If so, what type? Can you wear swimming goggles?

"Aerobic Fitness 2.4 km Run"

7. Is this cross-country or just on a flat track?

Thanks to anyone who has bothered to read this long post and answers it,
Tibs

Tibs said:
Hi, just have a few questions about the time it takes about the filling in the forms bit in the recruitment office. Well, if you guys can remember, I actually live in Hong Kong right now so I only have a limited time in the summer holidays in Canada (maybe a few days/a week or so since I plan on visiting UBC, UT, UA and RMC.....not sure how the h**l I'm going to do that.....my parents sure won't be pleased with the expenditures...)
I realised I had to go get a form off a recuiter from the RMC website (though I seriously doubt I can get admitted).

Most of the people in my school send applications to uni. at the start of grade 12 (I'm in grade 11, we have grade 13 instead of prep school in British-pattern education). So including an extended extensive security check that will take up to several months, and taking into account I'll be 16 in the coming October, I believe that this will be the most suitable time for me to apply this summer.

Documents:
1. Do I need to go to World Education Services and have them assessed first?
2. Do I need any other documents? (i.e. Birth Records, passports, etc)
3. What documents do I need to fill in (I won't be 16 yet when I visit, does that mean I need a parents or legal guardians signature?)
4. Do I need to write my C.V. (Personal Statement, etc) at this stage? Would it be best if I had my school reports from every year, reports from my Boy Scout leaders, etc? I'm not too sure whether they take everything and keep it in a file cabinet (or send it to the RMC) or do they just have a look at it. That leaves me to another thought, if I'm applying for reserves and RMC at the same time, wouldn't that mean I need 2 valid copies of my high school transcript? Or do all my data get sent to the DND?

Recruitment Office:
4. What should be the first thing I do when I enter the office?
5. After I fill in the forms and give them all the things required, what happens? Do I need to stay a while longer and stuff?

Just a few questions in advance, I know I'm going a bit too far the line right now...I just found a bit of rather vague description when researching here:http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_3_1_5.asp

"Swimming - During Basic Training, you must also meet the military swim standard. This test involves jumping from a 3 metre board wearing a life jacket, then swimming 50 metres. You must also somersault into the water without a life jacket, tread water for two minutes, then swim 20 metres. If you cannot swim now, you are advised to take a basic swimming course before proceeding on training."

6. I'm concerned about this bit because I'm not a strong swimmer. When doing this test, do you wear clothes (or just swimmers)? If so, what type? Can you wear swimming goggles?

"Aerobic Fitness 2.4 km Run"

7. Is this cross-country or just on a flat track?

Thanks to anyone who has bothered to read this long post and answers it,
Tibs

Usually they'll want you latest academic records. In addition they will want to see letters of refrence(two or three) from a reputable source...so your principal, or a sports coach, even an employers. The run is flat track; but don't expect that means that all you do is run flat track :). The combat swim test is done in battle order I believe. Are you applying as an officer or are you going enlisted?

r031Button said:
Usually they'll want you latest academic records. In addition they will want to see letters of refrence(two or three) from a reputable source...so your principal, or a sports coach, even an employers. The run is flat track; but don't expect that means that all you do is run flat track :). The combat swim test is done in battle order I believe. Are you applying as an officer or are you going enlisted?

Thanks for that. Well, I'm hoping to apply as an officer. But I wouldn't exactly mind applying as enlisted either (My current goals in life: (1)Pass high school with good grades (2) Get into university (3) Get in the forces)
RMC website (http://www.rmc.ca/admission/start_early/prep_e.html), it says:

"volunteering in community and/or church organisations,
participating and achieving in Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Cadets or the Primary Reserve "

My parents think that my decision is obviously based upon computer games (which is not the case), and decided that I should take up any oppurtunity to have a taste of life in uniform. So heck, without knowing what's primary reserve, I'm deciding to apply to reserves as well.

"combat swim test is done in battle order"

Sorry, I don't quite understand that. Would you mind explaining that again please?

Well, if your not 16 yet, than I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, because to be in the Canadian Regular Force -which means active duty- you have to be 17... but search the DND website: www.dnd.ca and the RMC website. I wouldn't worry too much about the PT test, anyone who is remotely in shape can pass it, but, be in good shape, because once you are in, is when the PT starts... I don't want to send you too much information, because I don't want to misinform you, but check out DND recruiting, they should have the answers you need.
Best of Luck

learn to swim!!! book yourlself into lessons at the local pool. they will teach you different strokes and will teach you how to do them correctly, they may even teach basic water safety (ie recover from water, rescusitation, i know our course did)
swim regularly!!!
it will help you in almost all areas of PT and its a helluva lot of fun, and if its like it is down here, its dirt cheap to do!!!
oh and it may save your life!!!

20m or 50m is seriously nothing to swim

good luck

Thanks for the replies

Perhaps you are quite right Pete, I might be worrying about it too much right now. But taking into account the day I'm hoping to pay a visit to the recuitment office (In late-August, around 2 months before my 16th birthday). I emailed CFRC Ottawa about it, they said I need a security check which may take up to several months (because I've left the country for quite a while). So taking that into account too, I'll be way into 16 and probably 1/2 way to 17 by the time they finish all that and start deciding whether or not they are going to accept my application. So I suppose I should start to worry now, correct me if I'm wrong.

Locke, I know how to swim......its just that.....I kinda suck at it. Not that I can't swim 20 meters, tread water for 2 mins and swim another 50, its just going to be very tiring (for some reason I can run and not swim).

good way to practice: go swimming once a week.
on your first visit, dont go too hard, just do what you can do. for your next 3 visits, swim the same distance.
on the 5th visit, add another 100 meters. and repeat, every month adding another 100m

its worked for me ;)

oh course, im not sure how practical it is to visit a pool every week, i know im blessed by having a pool within walking distance

Yeah man, It's a great Idea, I'm just not sure whether you can start the process before you are of age, but I might be wrong man, and there is no harm in trying

Pete031 said:
Yeah man, It's a great Idea, I'm just not sure whether you can start the process before you are of age, but I might be wrong man, and there is no harm in trying

Well, there is only one shot (in the near future) because you gotta admit, the plane tickets arn't cheap :( . Looks like I'll meet the age requirements (16?) since I can only go on the coming Christmas.

Great idea Locke, if the pool is ever open (It's got no warm water and its 12 degrees....now they decide to shut down the pool until Feb or March :roll: )

Sorry I'll just clearify what I said, I mean fighting order, which is your webbing, and helmet. though I may be mistaken.

I strongly suggest joining the reserves before going off the RMC; let yourself see what it's like..if it's not for you then there's no hassel in quiting. Besides that I hold the opinion that the best officers are from the ranks.

yeah... Fighting order consists of your Tac Vest, NBC carrier, Helmet, weapon, and NBCW bag.... Sort of off topic...

Thanks for the help guys.
Still thinking how I can get the times and everything sorted out. Now I quite wish that I wasn't living several thousand miles away on the other side of the Pacific :? ...

Tibs,
i am currently doing the prep year for RMC in st-jean Quebec, and i can tell you that i asked a lot of the same Qs as you are now, when i was applying.
regarding the running for the PT test, mine was done at the recruiting centre, and it was a step test where they measured your heart rate after a certain amount of time. if you go running regularly you should do fine.
the paprework that they wanted from me when i went in included transcripts for highschool, birth certificate, SIN card, that sort of thing.
I also had experience with the scout movement, and recieved my chief scout award, but they didnt want anything about that until my interview.
The interview is where they ask you a ton of Qs about leadership, and why you want to join the CF, and why you are interested in the MOC you applied for (proc and cons), that sort of thing. its important to be prepared for that, because it may determine to outcome of your application.
Also, i agree with those who say that reserve time will help you in RMC. Its more that you will know what to expect, than anything else. anyone can correct me on that, if anyone feels otherwise, but personally having no experience in the reserves or reg force, i had no clue what to expect.
anyways, time for class. i hope this helped you
good luck! :)

's Hey. I'm also at the prep year for RMC. One of the other things that you may have to look into is getting all your things set up BEFORE you come to Canada for your trip because it can take weeks, or months to get a call for your tests and interview. I would say get in contact with a recruiting center in the area you plan to stay in and start talking to them about it now. If they tell you that you needn't worry about it now due to your age let them know about the amount of time you will be in canada and explain you need to begin working things out NOW. :x Get aggressive if you have to but not obnoxious.

If you have any others :?:'s you can talk to myself, tankgirl, NCDTSteliga or OCDTSmith as I know all of us are in the program prepping for RMC. It is also possible you could be sent where we are so we can give you info about that too. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll keep a note on that.
I don't think I'll do much regarding the application just yet, except for more researching. I just have way too much to be doing right now and I don't think I've ever been sucessful in multi-tasking (I have Hockey, ICT projects, etc).

Don't worry about the multi-tasking part. That's something that you will develop, and quickly in the CF. After everything starts going here, you get loads of work piled onto you. In order to get everything you need done, you need good time management. If you don't have that, all of the work is going to seem overwhelming. I'm sure that lil_spy, and tankgirl_88 can attest to that being Section and Flight leaders as well.

BTW: tankgirl and lil_spy...how were your pushups this morning? I think that your flight'll listen to you know. Either that or Flight 1 will the be buffest one in the Squadron. ;)

Well after about the 60 push-ups we did for that one stupid event hopefully they will have learned something. But if not, we will definitely be ready for the next PT test!

Back