Apple MacBook Pro... who has one

I am thinking about getting a MacBook Pro... 15in... anyone have one? What's your feedback?

They are nice laptops (I have used the 13 and 15"), but whether its right for you really depends on what you are trying to do. Could you give me a basic run down of what you are planning to use it for? For example, Office, Internet, Games, Graphic Design, webdesign, Networking, Audio Mixing, Filming Editing, CAD, etc. etc. etc

It also helps on what kind of Mac or PC you are planning to buy.

I am not trying to turn this into a Mac vs PC debate but you'd be surprised the number of times people have bought computers thinking it will do X and it doesnt because of compatibility reasons. Just want to make sure you are on the right direction.

Last edited:
My wife's got a MacBook.
She's also got a partition done to run Windows XP as well since in Korea it's so heavily Windows that without the partition she can't access Korean websites because they only work if you use internet explorer.
It's a fine machine.
Great for graphics, great for film editing etc.
If it weren't for games, I'd get a Mac.
I'd imagine a Macbook Pro would be better than a Macbook.
Used a Mac between 1995-2000. Those were the LC series. They were nice machines.

Office, Internet, Games, Graphic Design, webdesign, and photography.. i am buying a mac...

My only slight concern would be memory. It comes with 4GB of RAM (if memory serves me correctly...) if you are doing Lots of HIGH-RES photo editing you might want to spring for a bit extra RAM, otherwise rendering might be slow.

Also, Mac isnt a great game machine. Its not its strength. If you wants games buy a console.

Other than that you'll do fine, go for it.

From what I remember though, a Mac with 4GB of RAM would actually run a lot smoother than a Windows running PC with 4GB of RAM.
When I had my Mac and compared it with the PC at my friend's house it seemed to reflect that. The Mac just ran a lot more smoothly.
That was about ten years ago so I dunno. What do you reckon?

From what I remember though, a Mac with 4GB of RAM would actually run a lot smoother than a Windows running PC with 4GB of RAM.
When I had my Mac and compared it with the PC at my friend's house it seemed to reflect that. The Mac just ran a lot more smoothly.
That was about ten years ago so I dunno. What do you reckon?

Its because the Mac OS is much more streamlined and optimized that it handles memory requests much better. Windows in such a Pig, that the only thing you can do is throw more memory at it.

In TI case, its strictly a question of usage. He said photography but he didnt say if that was simply taking photos, or editing them. Nor the type of quality he is aiming for...amateur or professional.

What I would do is buy the laptop "as is", evaluate it. I would inquire how much it would cost to upgrade the RAM just for reference. If he needs exta RAM well, he knows what to do. If not, keep it as it is.

If TI is *really* feeling adventurous he could try a dual boot OS 10-Windows and get the best of both worlds.

TI

Two final thoughts. Apple is releasing "Snow Leopard" in Q3-Q4 (October is a good bet), their latest OS. I would wait and benefit from its release, it will be a free upgrade, save you $150-$200. If Apple offers a "free upgrade" be sure you get a pc that takes advantage.

Secondly, Apple tend to skimp on the HD, you'll pay top dollar for the largest drives. plan on getting a nice USB HD especially if you've got lots of files.

Back