We are the Anzac army,
The A.N.Z.A.C.,
We cannot shoot, we don't salute,
what :cen: good are we?
And when we go to ber-lin
The Kaiser he will say,
"Hoch, Hoch! Mein Gott; what a :cen: odd lot
To get six bob a day.

note:they used to be paid six bob a day or about $1.20 in todays money and were sometimes know as six bob tourists

:horsie:

Who the H:cen:L ever said Aussies couldn't shoot :?: If anyone ever did, then they were WRONG!!!!!! I Know something of the history of the ANZAC and they could sure fight and no mistake.

they did

Gunner13 said:
Who the H:cen:L ever said Aussies couldn't shoot :?: If anyone ever did, then they were WRONG!!!!!! I Know something of the history of the ANZAC and they could sure fight and no mistake.

they did it themselves, quite a few of them didn,t take the war to seriously. They saw the war as a job that had to be done and when it was over they could go back to what they had been doing before the war started( ww1) and they really did enjoy taking the piss out of some of the english and there view of discipline. (all in fun most of the time ;)

And with men like, Mad Harry Murray (VC,CMG,DSO & BAR,DCM,C de G), Billy Sing, DCM, C de G (one of our greatest snipers) , Albert Jacka (VC,MC & BAR) and Barney Hines (The Souvenir King); they may of lacked discipline at times behind the lines but when it came to battle discipline they were amongst the very best.

And i think their wicked sense of humour may of helped them forget some of the terrible things they saw.

cheers
:horsie:

from what i read and heard u just described the "Diggers"
Battlefield discipline - among the best
when not on battlefield..... not so good ;)

can we help it if we like having fun??

you have to love em...

my favorite story concerning the ANZACs occured when the were being transported to the battlefront from down under to europe. When this one liner docked and the troops were disenbarked, the crew finally heard a knocking sound coming from the liners still fully stocked wine and spirits locker (call it a room).

When they opened it, they encountered a small, skinny and very pale soldier. He explained that one of the first nights out on the shipment, the local gang had discoved the locker, and had found the only way in was through a narrow, 10 inch in diameter ventilating tube. Looking through the troop body, they had found him and had forced him to enter the room. by using a rope carrier, he was able to loot the locker of its prized spirits: to ensure he kept going at it, his fellow soldiers gave him food based on the number of bottles passed up. His space at roll call was always covered by the gang.

Since it was impossible to get him back out, his group had told him to wait so many hours after the ships engines were turned off...then start banging on the door to to get out if he didnt want to starve to death.

it seems that he had almost emptyed the locker... :D

Locke said:
from what i read and heard u just described the "Diggers"
Battlefield discipline - among the best
when not on battlefield..... not so good ;)

can we help it if we like having fun??

BUt you guys get to drink on duty. (I think)

hfdd

i think there discipline on the battlefield is and has been most of the time among the very best in the world.

and from what i have read and been told by ex soldiers they definately liked to have fun before and after any fights ;)

along with the odd drink or twenty. many of them deserved a drink after what they have done.
:)

the battle of the wazzir was a good example of the boys having a bit of fun. it was a little riot/battle in the red light district in 1915 in egypt. one quote said" the australians proceded to chuck cairo down the river"

BUt you guys get to drink on duty. (I think)

Nope, not allowed to drink on duty, but drinking before and after is just about a way off life. The regulations do state that you are supposed to stop drinking 8 hours before you "start work". But that could mean you slam down 10 pints at midnight when you've gotta start at 0800.

The whole thing about not being able to shoot etc, that's just the Aussie soldiers sense of humour. Having a laugh at yourself. It's part of the whole culture; the ideal Australian soldier is basically a larakin, a joker, but when he has to do his job, he does a damn fine job of it.

Diggers

AussieNick is correct the australian solider is a larrikin, enjoying life where and when he/she can. Due to the fact that the powers that be have more than once,dumped them so far in the shit, that it a miracle that anyone survived. It all started at a small peninsula in Turkey named Gallipolli, and at times it has not got any better.

Back