ANZAC Day

SigJohnson

Your mum
Today marks the 96th Anniversary of the landing at Galipolli.
I have just returned from my local dawn service, and now reflecting on those who have served, thosed who are still serving, and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.
Lest We Forget.

God bless them all and you for acknowledging them. Bless you sir.

They're all heroes , all of them.

I have just watched the dawn ceremony at ANZAC Cove, and I never fail to shed a tear when the Turkish Army pay their respects, reading that quotation by Mustapha Kemal "Ataturk".

Surely one of the World's Greater Statesmen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side here in this country of ours...

You, the mothers, who sent their sons, from far away countries, wipe away your tears, your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our Sons as well."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ataturk's compassion has made a great impression on the Australian people, so much so that we have a memorial to him adjoining the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

b405ee4b.jpg

Last edited:
Photos of the 2010 ANZAC Day commemoration at the Punch Bowl in HI . This happens every year.

DSC_0094_low.jpg

anzac.jpg

Spent mine with some of my troops in a small country town, keeping the day alive for them.
Its a great honour to spend time with the old veterans and their families.

Back