ANZAC DAY - APRIL 25

its strange to think that 10-20 years ago so few people turned up to these events. just shows how people have learned that no matter what you think of the war, you have to support the soldiers, and that we really should try learn from past mistakes

chewie_nz said:
ALAMIEN crete & gallipoli thats my wish list

Been to Crete and Monte Cassino, I would like to do some of the North African sites but I am not sure how safe they are (especially since the wife is american) so we decided that Galipoli may be a good enough short term fix for us.

One hour after Japanese bombers struck at Hawaii on the morning of December 7, 1941, Prime Minister John Curtin of Australia declared that "from one hour ago, Australia has been at war with the Japanese Empire."

War was formally declared at 11:15 A.M., December 9, Australian time (8:15 P.M., December 8, American E.S.T.).

Announcing Australia's recognition that a state of war existed, Prime Minister Curtin said at 7:30 A.M., American E.S.T., December 8:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/australiajapan.html

Odd source I know but it had the easiest data to find.

I'm guessing they delayed their formal declaration until the United States made theirs.

I'm hoping some of the Aussies know the actual details.

Back