Anyone own a sewing machine??

Duty Honor Country

I just picked one up at a yard sale for $25. After a long fight, I got the thing operational.

Anyone got any tips on using a sewing machine? The last time I used one was 12 years ago. Right now I am lucky if I don't spear my finger.

Make sure you use the right needle. I used a needle that was too small and the tip snapped off. Also No-Sew fabric glue makes it go a lot easier. Threading it the right way the first time is always a good thing to do. There are nine types of needles, all of which are used for different things:
Standard Needle: Normal Point, slightly rounded, Universal for woven, synthetic, and natural fibers.
Special Needles: Fine Ball Point: Fine knits, especially for synthetic fibers.
Medium Ball Point: Heavier knits in synthetic or natural fibers.
Extra Fine Point: Heavy linen, denim, canvas. Pierces dense fabrics easily.
Cutting Point: Natural and synthetic leather, plastic, coated and waxed fabrics
Double Needle: Visible hems in stretch fabric, pintucks, decorative sewing.
Triple Needle: Decorative Sewing.
Hemstitch Needle: Hemstitch in loose weaves.

Doody said:
I just picked one up at a yard sale for $25. After a long fight, I got the thing operational.

Anyone got any tips on using a sewing machine? The last time I used one was 12 years ago. Right now I am lucky if I don't spear my finger.

LMAO. Some random persons gonna come into this forum and wonder what kind of a military forum this is. Hahaha.

That aside, go really slow when stitching.

See, and the best I could offer was, "Don't spear your finger." Guess you've got that one covered. Oh, and there are a bunch of threading diagrams on the manufacturers' websites.

Back