Anyone on here use Linux?

I use Mandrake Linux 10 myself on my server PC at home. It is just as easy to use as any other Windows version - graphical user interfaces and point and click your icons. The hazzle is to install Linux from scratch as you have to select "software packages" and choose how advanced you want it (developing, web, server, office and so on) - but once you have done it you see how it works. As well CD rom drives and floppy disks are not automatically installed, you have to assign each unit before using it - but there are ways to pass this so they are assigned on startup.

Just stay out of the Shell Command Interface and you're fine with Linux just as with Windows :thumb:

Hi ,

Before Venturing deeper into it you can Try it Out ......... Try the Linux Live CD's .......... U will get a look and feel of What's to come wthout having to install it :)

Linux comes in Many Flavours you can choose yours :) ............ you can Download the .ISO File form here Burn it into a CD and there you have it .......... your very own Linux Self Booting Live CD ........... and if you like it you can get the Full thingy .

My Personal Favs. are Fedora , Susi and Slaxware .

Get any one of them From here http://www.linuxiso.org/

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Last edited:
Hi,

I was recommending a Live CD ......... YOu see that LInk http://www.linuxiso.org/ it has Many Linux Distrubutions.......... you can choose any .............. the One you have been reccommended is fine but no the Top Notch one ....... i have 10 CD of Ubuntu Linux CD's........ they were sending CD free of Cost Anywhere in the world once and i ordered 20 ;) .

I would have Gone For Fedora or Slax myself but that's everyones Personal Choice.

1. Now Download the .ISO File
  2. Save it Anywhere on your Hardisk
  3. Open that File with your Nero Burner
  4. Burn a CD
  5. And you are ready to Rock
  6. Put the CD in the CD ROM and Restart It will autometacally Boot Into the LInux you have Downloaded]

Last edited:
Ubuntu is fine for a test to see how Linux behaves, but I found it a bit boring. I would either go for Mandrake, Fedora or SUSE, but as SwordFish_13 says it is a matter of taste and what you are going to use it for.

Is Linuxiso.org really updated? I used to find many outdated distributions and broken links? Too late to check it out, perhaps I do something constructive in the morning... ;)

Hi,

Uhm YOu got that .ISO Image Downloaded yet ? .......... after you Download the .ISO file ( it's one file you are going to Download ......... Just one File , this File Autometacally Opens with Nero )

Get a Nornal CD ...........Put it in the CD Writer ............ Open the Nero ............. you will be able to open that .ISO file with Nero .......... it will do the rest ........... just Burn the CD and you are done.

I can't get this to work:-(

i've dowloaded the live cd suse of that site but i can't work out how to burn it, it comes zipped up and when i use winrar to open it loads of stuff appears and nero doesn't see ant of it.

KC72 said:
I can't get this to work:-(

i've dowloaded the live cd suse of that site but i can't work out how to burn it, it comes zipped up and when i use winrar to open it loads of stuff appears and nero doesn't see ant of it.

Okay, unzip the files (right click, select extract to and your drawer of preference)

Start Nero
Choose the menu command "File" and then select "Burn Image"
The "Open" dialog box appears
Select your download LinuxISO file and click Open
The "Write CD" dialog box appears with some tabs, Click the 'Burn' Tab
Confirm that 'Write' and 'Finalize' are selected
Click on "Write". Watch it burn, get some coffee - eject the disk and off you go :)

Get the latest version of Nero, the older ones required some parameter changes as Nero didn't reckognize ISO images. As long as you select "Burn Image", "Burn ISO" or similar menu options you cannot go wrong.

Last edited:
got it burned and working:p

but now i'm confused again, i don't know how to my modem connected and get on the internet.:-?

What version of SUSE did you download? I know the Winmodems RPMs were not included in the 9.0 distribution.

i've downloaded all the stuff i need for my modem, put them onto a usb data staorage thing but i can't find it when i go onto suse, is there a suse map?

Last edited:
Back