Anyone have any camping tips?

TheSunsetSniper

Anyone have any tips on camping? Things that just might make the experience a bit more comfortable. Marksman was telling me some like "Don't touch the tent if it's wet, it will leak", or "Don't wear perfumes becuase it attracts snake." Simple random tips. I'm sure you would love to write page after page on this subject, Marksman, so go ahead! You can do it here!

Dude, always make sure all your food is sealed up tight, you don't wanna wake up with a raccoon or god forbid a bear trying to eat your pringles you know, been there not fun at all.

Ditto... only happens once. Ours was three coyotes... i ended up running at them with my Ka-Bar trying to scare them away, though i think my yelling was enough.

Keep your sleeping gear dry water proof every damn thing you are taking as "Murphy's Law" will come into effect.

If you use a tent, buy a standard tarp at your local hardware place or one of the Marts out there to use as a ground tarp under the tent. Keeps water from seeping in through the floor from the campers weight laying inside. Just make sure if the tarp is too big, trim or fold it so that it is at least 2" underneath all the edges. I gave that tip to one guy and I thought he would know better but he bought a huge arse tarp and had it hanging out about 3 or 4 feet past the tent flooring and it did rain puddling a crapload of water between tent and tarp. I set my tent up on top of said tarp and traced around the tent onto the tarp then cut it and folded the edges back about 2" and duct taped it.

speaking of water

always put your tent on a slight mound if you can find it, i know this is stupid, but i put my tent up at the bottom of a hill one time and when it rain water just rushed under the tent, it was awful, i had to move the tent in the rain.

I got a bootylaod of tips, but these are my main ones:
Keep feet(and the rest of you) clean and dry.
Do the thingy with the tarp under the tent.
Roll everything that's rollable as tight as you can to save space.
Don't bring anything you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED!!!
Bring toilet paper.
Bring a small shovel/ entrenching tool.
Bring laxative.

...And bring a big stick to beat off bears, coyotes, and small children who want your trail mix :D

I can understand the uses for an entrenching tool but there really aren't many things you absolutly need it for is there? Other than digging a small moat around your tent. It's not like i'm going to need to dig in while i'm camping.

Also a little black carpet or some platic bags to place your boots/shoes on or in once you settle in for the night. Otherwise, you get those pesky dirt crumbs floating all around your tent and in your blankets. Hey, a moat might be a nice touch. :lol:

TheSunsetSniper said:
Anyone have any tips on camping? Things that just might make the experience a bit more comforta.ble.
My tip would be; don't if you don't have to! It'll never be comfortable. ;)

Camping tips

I could be of assistance if I new whether you would be driving to your desination, staying in one place or would be hiking, what type of luxury expectation you have and how well you are geared....We do alot of camping in SA and surrounds.

if all else fails, put the experience down to learning.

Generally we drive within a mile of the site, but we end up hiking around a couple miles to explore the area. We take our packs when we do this for various reasons. The camp stays in one place though. As for my gear... i believe i am well geared. I may not know how to best use it, but I have a hatchet, knife, fire equipment, compass and all those other important items incase we get lost in the sticks.

The way i see it, you learn everywhere you go, so if you use your head, the next time you wont make the same mistakes... eventually you will make very very few mistakes.

Never sleep in your clothes. Wear as little as possible because no matter how cold you are when you are ready to bed down you will not stay cold, then you will have sweaty clothes. No this is not meant in a sexual way either. The tents retain heat and it will get warmer in there then you will think. Always take tobasco sauce with you. Another thing is take a camper instead of tents, one with air and heat. That way you have no worries about anything, like takin the house with you. ;)

Why is everyone giving tips on camping??? learning is the best part. But I might as well join the band wagon here.

1. Always spray yourself down with sugar water especially when going into swampy areas or areas with standing water.

2. Comfort is not your concern when you are out there.

3. Your main concern will be the snakes (refer to the comparison in the jokes section of this forum) http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2524

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me I have lots of helpful hints that will definitely keep you comfortable.

silent driller said:
I got a bootylaod of tips, but these are my main ones:
Keep feet(and the rest of you) clean and dry.
Do the thingy with the tarp under the tent.
Roll everything that's rollable as tight as you can to save space.
Don't bring anything you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED!!!
Bring toilet paper.
Bring a small shovel/ entrenching tool.
Bring laxative.

...And bring a big stick to beat off bears, coyotes, and small children who want your trail mix :D

Why do comment 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 sound very very very familiar? and I'm not sure where you got 7 from, but sure!

TheSunsetSniper said:
I can understand the uses for an entrenching tool but there really aren't many things you absolutly need it for is there? Other than digging a small moat around your tent. It's not like i'm going to need to dig in while i'm camping.

Ok Scenerio: You are hiking through the woods with your pack. You have to go to the bathroom. No one else wants to walk by a pile of poop or smell it, so you want to dig a hole, do your business, cover it up. Keeps everyone happy, and dosen't leave a pile of poop and toilet paper for all to see.

Also, it can be a weapon, if you need one.

Also, if you have "wings" on your tent (basically a area outside your tent that you can keep your pack in) make sure your tarp extents to the wings. Otherwise the water from the ground will get it really really wet.

If you happen to sleep in a shelter half, well, don't, especially in 20* and freezing rain while very very sick (horrible horrible cold that no one has forgotten that I had... ew).

Use a ground pad if you have one. It bascially goes between your sleeping bag and your tent/tarp/dirt. The ground absorbs body heat, and the ground pad will act as a barrier, therefore, you keep the heat! The small amount of extra wait will be nothing in the long run.

Back