Anyone have any camping tips?

--
Boots

August 12th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Topic: Anyone have any camping tips?

Anyone have any tips on camping? Things that just might make the experience a bit more comfortable. Marksman was telling me some like "Don't touch the tent if it's wet, it will leak", or "Don't wear perfumes becuase it attracts snake." Simple random tips. I'm sure you would love to write page after page on this subject, Marksman, so go ahead! You can do it here!
August 12th, 2004  
usaf0296

Dude, always make sure all your food is sealed up tight, you don't wanna wake up with a raccoon or god forbid a bear trying to eat your pringles you know, been there not fun at all.
August 12th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Ditto... only happens once. Ours was three coyotes... i ended up running at them with my Ka-Bar trying to scare them away, though i think my yelling was enough.
--
Boots
August 12th, 2004  
LIPS

Keep your sleeping gear dry water proof every damn thing you are taking as "Murphy's Law" will come into effect.
August 12th, 2004  
Keist IV

If you use a tent, buy a standard tarp at your local hardware place or one of the Marts out there to use as a ground tarp under the tent. Keeps water from seeping in through the floor from the campers weight laying inside. Just make sure if the tarp is too big, trim or fold it so that it is at least 2" underneath all the edges. I gave that tip to one guy and I thought he would know better but he bought a huge arse tarp and had it hanging out about 3 or 4 feet past the tent flooring and it did rain puddling a crapload of water between tent and tarp. I set my tent up on top of said tarp and traced around the tent onto the tarp then cut it and folded the edges back about 2" and duct taped it.
August 12th, 2004  
usaf0296

Topic: speaking of water

always put your tent on a slight mound if you can find it, i know this is stupid, but i put my tent up at the bottom of a hill one time and when it rain water just rushed under the tent, it was awful, i had to move the tent in the rain.
August 12th, 2004  
silent driller

I got a bootylaod of tips, but these are my main ones:
Keep feet(and the rest of you) clean and dry.
Do the thingy with the tarp under the tent.
Roll everything that's rollable as tight as you can to save space.
Don't bring anything you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED!!!
Bring toilet paper.
Bring a small shovel/ entrenching tool.
Bring laxative.

...And bring a big stick to beat off bears, coyotes, and small children who want your trail mix
August 12th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

I can understand the uses for an entrenching tool but there really aren't many things you absolutly need it for is there? Other than digging a small moat around your tent. It's not like i'm going to need to dig in while i'm camping.
August 12th, 2004  
Keist IV

Also a little black carpet or some platic bags to place your boots/shoes on or in once you settle in for the night. Otherwise, you get those pesky dirt crumbs floating all around your tent and in your blankets. Hey, a moat might be a nice touch.
August 13th, 2004  

Topic: Re: Anyone have any camping tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunsetSniper
Anyone have any tips on camping? Things that just might make the experience a bit more comforta.ble.
My tip would be; don't if you don't have to! It'll never be comfortable.