Anyone have any camping tips? - Page 2

--
Boots

August 13th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Knife. A good knife is invaluable. A khukri works exceptionally well.
August 13th, 2004  
Justmac

Topic: Camping tips

I could be of assistance if I new whether you would be driving to your desination, staying in one place or would be hiking, what type of luxury expectation you have and how well you are geared....We do alot of camping in SA and surrounds.

if all else fails, put the experience down to learning.
August 13th, 2004  
TheSunsetSniper

Generally we drive within a mile of the site, but we end up hiking around a couple miles to explore the area. We take our packs when we do this for various reasons. The camp stays in one place though. As for my gear... i believe i am well geared. I may not know how to best use it, but I have a hatchet, knife, fire equipment, compass and all those other important items incase we get lost in the sticks.

The way i see it, you learn everywhere you go, so if you use your head, the next time you wont make the same mistakes... eventually you will make very very few mistakes.
--
Boots
August 17th, 2004  
Sooners1

Never sleep in your clothes. Wear as little as possible because no matter how cold you are when you are ready to bed down you will not stay cold, then you will have sweaty clothes. No this is not meant in a sexual way either. The tents retain heat and it will get warmer in there then you will think. Always take tobasco sauce with you. Another thing is take a camper instead of tents, one with air and heat. That way you have no worries about anything, like takin the house with you.
August 18th, 2004  
sgtbreeden

Why is everyone giving tips on camping??? learning is the best part. But I might as well join the band wagon here.

1. Always spray yourself down with sugar water especially when going into swampy areas or areas with standing water.

2. Comfort is not your concern when you are out there.

3. Your main concern will be the snakes (refer to the comparison in the jokes section of this forum) http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=2524

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me I have lots of helpful hints that will definitely keep you comfortable.
August 19th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent driller
I got a bootylaod of tips, but these are my main ones:
Keep feet(and the rest of you) clean and dry.
Do the thingy with the tarp under the tent.
Roll everything that's rollable as tight as you can to save space.
Don't bring anything you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED!!!
Bring toilet paper.
Bring a small shovel/ entrenching tool.
Bring laxative.

...And bring a big stick to beat off bears, coyotes, and small children who want your trail mix
Why do comment 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 sound very very very familiar? and I'm not sure where you got 7 from, but sure!
August 19th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunsetSniper
I can understand the uses for an entrenching tool but there really aren't many things you absolutly need it for is there? Other than digging a small moat around your tent. It's not like i'm going to need to dig in while i'm camping.
Ok Scenerio: You are hiking through the woods with your pack. You have to go to the bathroom. No one else wants to walk by a pile of poop or smell it, so you want to dig a hole, do your business, cover it up. Keeps everyone happy, and dosen't leave a pile of poop and toilet paper for all to see.

Also, it can be a weapon, if you need one.

Also, if you have "wings" on your tent (basically a area outside your tent that you can keep your pack in) make sure your tarp extents to the wings. Otherwise the water from the ground will get it really really wet.

If you happen to sleep in a shelter half, well, don't, especially in 20* and freezing rain while very very sick (horrible horrible cold that no one has forgotten that I had... ew).

Use a ground pad if you have one. It bascially goes between your sleeping bag and your tent/tarp/dirt. The ground absorbs body heat, and the ground pad will act as a barrier, therefore, you keep the heat! The small amount of extra wait will be nothing in the long run.
August 19th, 2004  

My tip: If you're not sure what you're doing, bring someone who is.
August 19th, 2004  
>*CrAzY*<

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1217
My tip: If you're not sure what you're doing, bring someone who is.
best one out there...