anyone felling like a new chinese vs us cold war stirring up?

Bacara

I think a new cold war is starting up between the US and China, it all started when China shot down that satellite in i think 2006 or 2007, also as China turns into a superpower, things will heat up further. This is only my opinion, but i wont to know what you guys think about the situation.

Bacara, it started a long time ago, when exactly no one can really say for sure. It's not exactly a USSR vs USA Cold War either. Too many differences.
It is a lot more complicated than you think.

Bacara, it started a long time ago, when exactly no one can really say for sure. It's not exactly a USSR vs USA Cold War either. Too many differences.
Well said and as someone who only knows the Cold War as stories I'd say its a long time coming before you'll understand. At least not like someone who grew up knowing that if we ever heard the air sirens we had exactly 11 minutes before we were vaporised and there was SFA we could do about it. You learn not to worry about 5h!t outside your control.

Bacara

I don't think so, for two reasons.

First, both China and the USA need each. Labour is cheap in China and China needs cold currency in order to modernize itself. In short, there is a economic umbilical cord between the two that neither are willing to break.

Secondly, China might act like a superpower but beneath the surface they have severe political problems. As people are granted economic freedom a political freedom movement will soon follow. For example, People are buying cars, but soon they are going to want to start driving them somewhere. And there are places the government would prefer its citizens not go.

Secondly, China might act like a superpower but beneath the surface they have severe political problems. As people are granted economic freedom a political freedom movement will soon follow. For example, People are buying cars, but soon they are going to want to start driving them somewhere. And there are places the government would prefer its citizens not go.

This may actually not be the case.
The rationale for China being a candidate for becoming a democracy or a free country is usually based on the Taiwan and South Korea model. However, both these countries received a lot of pressure from the United States to become freer, democratic states. Both countries still to a large extent rely on the United States for protection.
China does not fall into this category. A situation where the citizenry live comfortably with reasonable wealth under political restrictions and with little say in politics is probably a higher possibility. As long as the Communist Party do a good job which it seems like they're doing. Their leaders are smart and don't have to tap dance as much as their Western counterparts and they're riding on the groundwork of one of the most benevolent and wise dictators the world has seen: Deng Xiao Ping.

Well said and as someone who only knows the Cold War as stories I'd say its a long time coming before you'll understand. At least not like someone who grew up knowing that if we ever heard the air sirens we had exactly 11 minutes before we were vaporised and there was SFA we could do about it. You learn not to worry about 5h!t outside your control.

Right - Here we used to say 'Why worry - if it happens we won't even know about it'.

Or knowing your country would get torn up by a superpowers tanks if they decided they didn´t want to use nukes...

Many shapes and forms of a third world war have been played out in wargames through the years.

The largest victory was that it never had to be fought.

My humble opinion.

oh yea that is completely true, there will be no paranoia like the 40's and 50's, and i THINK that it will be more economic then military or nuclear like the cold war. I think the two sides will try to out do each in economic power over the world, which china has a considerable amount as does the US

Crap the China won't need to go to war. They just need to buy us. We'll sell....anything for buck.:-x

Great, another cold war and I'm too old to take part in it :(

I don't think those who took part in the first one were really able to enjoy it anyway. It was just too 'cold' of a war, lol. What was the most exciting point, the Cuban Missile Crisis? Yeah, I think that's about it.

You forgot the Vietnam War, the Korean War, Afghanistan (the 80's one), Indonesia ('50s and '60s I believe), Borneo, Cambodia... a lot of sh*t happened during the Cold War. All of it interesting. All of it tragic.

You forgot the Vietnam War, the Korean War, Afghanistan (the 80's one), Indonesia ('50s and '60s I believe), Borneo, Cambodia... a lot of sh*t happened during the Cold War. All of it interesting. All of it tragic.
Yeah but I was talking more in terms of a direct US-vs-Soviets conflict... Baah, nevermind, you're right, good point. You got me, lol. :)

The cold war presented continual and high-octane political pressure, daily, weekly, monthly, annually. Like living on a knife-edge.

Say what you want about nukes. But in the end, I think they are what kept the cold war from turning hot between Russia and the US. Unless there'll be an alien invasion, deterrence is the only thing they'll ever be used for.

I don't think those who took part in the first one were really able to enjoy it anyway. It was just too 'cold' of a war, lol. What was the most exciting point, the Cuban Missile Crisis? Yeah, I think that's about it.
That sounds pretty exciting, if you ask me...

Back