Anyone ever written an Essay to get into Army OCS?

I'm writing an essay in application for Army OCS. It's supposed to be a one page and I think I've got a good one so far. My main problem was compacting everything I wanted to say into one page. Has anyone ever written an essay and gotten in? I would like to compare, and see if I'm on the right track. As soon as I finish it for good, I will post it, and allow you to suggest and critique. Thanks.

I wrote an essay for Army ROTC, I don't know if that really counts. I think it was more important for them to have a writing sample then to really read what you wrote. Did they give you a topic that you had to write about or was it a free for all?

My Essay

Yea, you have to write on the topic "Why I want to be an Army Officer"

I finished it, so if you want to read it, feel free to critique it and/or give me feedback:

When I was in high school, I belonged to Army JROTC, and I was the first sergeant of my company. I led the drills, called cadence, conducted inspections, and I was up for promotion to captain the following school year, but unfortunately my schedule conflicted with other courses that I needed for college, and I was unable to continue in the program. However, Army JROTC was the first course that I ever took that gave me a sense of accomplishment, confidence in myself, and pride in the feeling that comes from being able to set goals, achieving them, and earning the respect of your peers while at the same time doing something in pursuance of a noble cause. I set a goal for myself to go to college and satisfy my educational objectives to prepare myself, so that one day I could prove worthy of becoming a leader in the United States Army. My life experiences and my strong desire to succeed coupled with an unrelenting work ethic and a strong sense of duty and commitment to my country, make me an excellent candidate for officership in the United States Army.
An Army Officer needs to represent and embody the core values, struggles, and sacrifices that have made and continue to make America great. Throughout my life, I have prided myself on being disciplined and goal oriented, overcoming all odds and obstacles to achieve my potential. I, too like many Americans came to this country with my family, seeking a better life. We didn’t have a lot of money, we didn’t know the language, but what we did have were minds full of hopes and dreams and the desire and push to make them a reality. In little to no time, I learned the English language, and only a year after coming to this country I was identified by my school as a gifted student. I pushed myself constantly to be better in everything that I did, preparing myself for a college education, thirsty for knowledge and achievement, and finding my way through obstacles that presented themselves in my path.
A United States Army Officer needs to not only possess leadership and intellectual abilities, but also have a proven track record that demonstrates it. During my undergraduate years, I was actively involved in the leadership of my campus and the local community. With commitment, dedication and hard work, I was able to lead two groups on campus as President and member of the Executive board to make a positive impact on our campus and in the community. My efforts as a leader on campus led me to achieving one of the highest honors of the University, “Student Leader of the Year for 2003.” Besides being a leader on campus, I held a part-time job to help pay for my studies while keeping an overall GPA of 3.33 and a major GPA of 3.75. Today, in my graduate MBA program, I hold a 4.0 GPA and continue to be involved by forming part of various local organizations that promote leadership and advancement for young students in the community.
Finally, the Army Officer of today needs to have a strong sense of duty and commitment to the values upon which America was founded. When I became a citizen of the United States four months ago, it was one of the proudest days of my life. I knew in that instant that I raised my right hand that all of the hard work and sacrifice up to that point had paid off, and that many great things were still to come. I am now very grateful to be a citizen of a country where I am free to pursue my goals and dreams free from oppression, and I would expect nothing less of myself than to give back to my country by serving in the United States Army and helping to advance the ideals for which so many have fought and died throughout the course of our history.
Today, more than ever, America needs young leaders that are not only committed to the values that drive us, but that also live by them, and are willing to do whatever is necessary to preserve them. These young leaders must also be intelligent, possess leadership abilities, and be able to deliver under pressure with poise and grace. Evidenced by my life experiences, hard work, and achievement, I am confident that I have what it takes to be that leader, and ask for your kind recommendation for the Army Officer Candidate School Prog

Throw in something about the army core values and how they relate to your life. Take out the GPA standings. While it is important that doesn't mean much in the essay. The essay is a quick note to remind the review board that you understand what it means to be an officer. My essay was considered one of the best they had seen.

Use your GPA in the interview. This is to show WHY you want to be an officer not why you are QUALIFIED. They know you are qualified or you wouldn't be in front of them. So use this to say what made you go into that recuiters office and sign up for OCS.

Words like Tradition, Honor, Respect are good to impliment. Throw in the JROTC stuff to show you have the drive and ambition. Defintaly find the core values and show how those relate to you and why you want to be in the military.

Hope I helped!

Back