Anyone ever heard of.......

Heck yeah! He was one hell of a guy. Kind of neat how he became a movie star after the war and starred in a movie about his own exploits. Wasn't he the most decorated U.S. soldier in the second World War?

Also it's kind of funny that the Army wanted to reject him at first on the grounds that he wasn't healthy enough to serve.

Was he the one the movie To Hell and Back was based after? I don't really know much about him except that I've seen the movie.

Yes, and the actor who played him was him. :lol:
That's the movie I was talking about, he played himself in it, and it told the true story of his exploits in WWII.

Medal Of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, US Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Sounthern France) World War II Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal with German Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksmanship Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion Of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, and the Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

I wouldn't feel worthy to speak in his presense. He was a stud and a true hero, in my book.

No doubt, Sir. I have had the honor of meeting three Medal of Honor winners (all from WWII), and I was like a schoolgirl around them, to be honest :lol: . The strange thing is is that each one of them was a very pleasant, soft spoken gentleman, not the Sgt Rock G.I. Joe type that you would think of when you consider the things they accomplished. And in the interviews you see of Audie Murphy after the war, he seems to be the same way, plus being rather small statured. Definitely all cases of not judging a book by it's cover.

Indeed, I would like to hear some true written accounts of him though, like in battle. Or something written by another G.I. who served with him. Would be interesting.

Back