Any sword lovers out there??

mvilla2426

Hey everyone......

I have one sword....... a katana to be exact. Dexter bought it for me and insists I learn to use it while he's gone (he 's got all sorts of swords, and alot of other weapons)

Anyway, I've read a little about Japanese swordsmanship, particularly Ia-do (don't know if I am spelling it right) and I do like the philosophies behind it........

Any sword lovers out there?

Someone call me?

My family sells swords and knives and edged weapons at local swap meets and gun shows. Swords are fun :p . I'm more into the European weaponry. My favorite is a Crusader Sword, Carlos V. You hang it blade down and it forms a cross.

Once my brother almost severed the tip of his finger cleaning a razor sharp Samurai sword. Idiot.

We also have a double-heading Viking battle axe I fell in love with. Its not exactly a sword, but same idea.

Are you familiar with the Dadao? That's scary.

:rambo:

Ranger,

The whole thing is still pretty new to me.......

I've seen alot of them.... and done some um.... *cough cough* onorthodox things with them, but I don't know a whole lot about them as of yet.... I'm trying to learn.

I have seen a battle axe though..... It is the only thing Dexter ever showed me that scared the heck outta me.

I'll have to ask Dexter what the Dadao is.... whenever I hear from him again. (Sorry..... waiting around for a guy thats fighting in a war can be rough when you have not heard from him in a while)

Anyway... griping done.

Sorry about that :(

Unorthodox things with a sword? :twisted: I'm sure that's an interesting story. ;)

A Dadao is a giant Chinese head-cleaving sword. Terrifying, just terrifying. Hold on I'll dig up a picture.

http://store6.yimg.com/I/greatsword_1799_7258133

It's bigger than it looks in the picture. About 3 feet long. They used em right up through WWII against the Japanese. :twisted:

:D

HAHAHA!!! :lol:

I just looked at that picture of the Dadao.......

Its not scary looking at all!! I'm sure you could do alot of scary things with it..... but its kind of a turn on to me......lol (I'm a strange chick). But I probably shouldn't say that....... There are probably lots of kiddoes reading this.........

Ahhh...the cult of steel! I've been collecting swords (and other weapons) for years...in fact, just this morning my family gave me a curved, Arabian-style knife as a Father's Day present. I also have a number of assorted sabres and rapiers, a couple of katanas, and a gladius.

I tend to shy away from weapons inspired by movies, with a few exceptions that well-meaning relatives pick up for me now and again.

Oddly enough, I actually know how to use most of the weapons in my collection; I have been active in medieval reenactments and live-action role-playing for nearly as long as I have been collecting.

Swords pay for my gas, rent and food so I'm rather partial to them. Also you were very close on the spelling; it is..... "Iaito". An Iaito sword is a practice blade meant for learning to draw the sword. In traditional Japanese martial arts most masters will have you training the drawing of the blade for possibly years before you do cutting with a fully functional Katana. The Iaito blade is usually lower in weight, it is also not tempered or sharpened. This is on purpose as you will be drawing this sword very very repetitively and it's less wear on your joints.....like Tennis Elbow..there is Sword Elbow...=)

I'm of course rather partial to the Hanwei and Bugei Katanas as I do feel they are the HIGHEST quality/value cutting Katanas available on the market. Yes I’m biased….=)

I love western style swords as well....especially Viking and Roman era swords... When all is said and done though I have to say that the Katana is simply one of the most perfect blade designs in history. I am proud of my European heritage and love the European swords, but I have to say a TRUE deferentially clay tempered folded steel katana....is probably the greatest sword of human history. It is awe inspiring in it’s art, science, and it’s function.

That said that DaDao / Horse chopper was used pretty effectively as late as teh 1930's in WW2 against the Japanese.......course it was carried by LOTS and LOTS of really angry Chinese........=)

"To study the history of the sword, is to understand the history of man."

Im not much on swords at the moment, but a friend of mine is into the ol jui jitsu tournaments and sword touranments so I keep an eye out for him some bamboo to practice with lol. I like his collection and just for gits and shiggles I got a morning star. I about gasped when he got another sword and paid $550 for it...but then I thought back to paying more than that for a paintball gun lol. He has bought a couple ww2 Japanese swords and I forget where the latest came from. He always loves talking about swords and if your looking for someone to BS about em, I can give you his AIM and he'd be more than happy to talk about swords and clue you in. PM me if your interested.

We got about a dozen kukhris in stock. People seem to love those.

How long is your dad's weapon? I've seen really small kukhris under a foot long and huge ones almost 3 feet long. I think the most practical are the size we get, about 16".

Oh yea I almost forgot this story! I was at the swap meet working at our stand, I had cut myself earlier so I had a bloody cloth. I see my principal coming down to my stand! Well, my principal and I aren't exactly on good terms (had something to do with the box of donuts I "took" from her birthday party, and the female undergarments I hung around the school, and when student government elections came and everyone had their posters up, I hung ones saying "VOTE FUTURE RANGER FOR PRINCIPAL, END TYRANNY AND OPRESSION UNDER THE REGIME OF OUR TOTALITARIAN PRINCIPAL!!!", among other things). Well anyway, my principal is coming so I grab a kukhri on one hand and a bloody cloth in the other. When she walks by, in my deepest scratchiest most evil voice I say "Hello Mrs. Principal... I never expected to see you here today..."
in a shaky voice "whoa Future Ranger..... what are you doing here?..."
evil voice "I work here... This is my stand... We sell... *holds up kukhri*... edged weapons..."

Ah it was great :twisted: :twisted: :D :lol:

anything dangerous thats made of metal...

I have a mongolian dagger and an old util/combat knive from the 70's(my dad's from the MC).

I'm waiting till I get a job then I'm gonna buy myself a nice little ninja katana... and a set of shurikins...

I have a katana with a traditional black and white handle (pretty well made), a little black katana (super sharp), a fantasy sword ( just looks cool), a machete, and a shuiruken (spelled it wrong...again... :oops: too lazy to look it up...)

~Peace

I have a naval officer's sword that I use for for parades and armed drill exhibitions. Caught a lot of attention at my city's 4th of July parade today (yes, today, the third). :D

Back