Any parents out there?

crazytanker

As you know, I'm a Drill Sergeant in the US Army - a job I consider to be incredibly important. So today, I get a call on my cell phone from my son's vice principal saying that I needed to come immediately. She wouldn't tell me why, only that I needed to come right away. So I told my SFC I had to go, something is wrong with my kid at school. She of course didn't have any issue with it - I mean it was my kid.

So I get there, in my ACUs and wear my campaign hat in the building - you know what they say "If this hat comes off, you'd better run" - and I go to her office. She tells me that my son - who is 7 - is a day dreamer, isn't serious about his student career. Ok well my kid has top notch grades, he does his school work before he plays or whatever. Straight As, honor roll, top notch. And I'll you the truth, I told her off and asked her what her f----- problem was. I mean I was yelling in my best get-off-my-obstacle DI voice.

I understand maybe being concerned about him day dreaming but I didn't appreciate the way she handled it. It was NOT an issue of leaving and going down there, I mean my SFC has kids and she's told us several times if it's your family, kids especially, you go. No questions. It was that she made it out to be a huge issue, an emergency, when it really wasn't. It was something that she should have called and set up a parent-teacher conference or whatever. Yeah sure it would have still ticked me off, but I may have been nicer about it.

And let's be honest, I really hate yelling when someone might be genuinely concerned or doing their job. But seriously? Don't make me think my kid is hurt. I mean I look out for my recruits (you hit my recruit you answer to me). If you want to see a real ticked off parent...mess with my kid.

Thoughts?

PS: I have to go back tomorrow to talk to his teacher at her request. What...the...hell.

As you know, I'm a Drill Sergeant in the US Army - a job I consider to be incredibly important. So today, I get a call on my cell phone from my son's vice principal saying that I needed to come immediately. She wouldn't tell me why, only that I needed to come right away. So I told my SFC I had to go, something is wrong with my kid at school. She of course didn't have any issue with it - I mean it was my kid.

So I get there, in my ACUs and wear my campaign hat in the building - you know what they say "If this hat comes off, you'd better run" - and I go to her office. She tells me that my son - who is 7 - is a day dreamer, isn't serious about his student career. Ok well my kid has top notch grades, he does his school work before he plays or whatever. Straight As, honor roll, top notch. And I'll you the truth, I told her off and asked her what her f----- problem was. I mean I was yelling in my best get-off-my-obstacle DI voice.

I understand maybe being concerned about him day dreaming but I didn't appreciate the way she handled it. It was NOT an issue of leaving and going down there, I mean my SFC has kids and she's told us several times if it's your family, kids especially, you go. No questions. It was that she made it out to be a huge issue, an emergency, when it really wasn't. It was something that she should have called and set up a parent-teacher conference or whatever. Yeah sure it would have still ticked me off, but I may have been nicer about it.

And let's be honest, I really hate yelling when someone might be genuinely concerned or doing their job. But seriously? Don't make me think my kid is hurt. I mean I look out for my recruits (you hit my recruit you answer to me). If you want to see a real ticked off parent...mess with my kid.

Thoughts?

PS: I have to go back tomorrow to talk to his teacher at her request. What...the...hell.

Thoughts, well...

1) I do not understand the problem with a child being a "day dreamer", if he was 17 I would be concerned but 7 is ridiculous, kids have to be kids and be allowed a childhood.

2) While technically school can be considered a career in much the same way Janitors can be "Maintenance engineers", going to school is preparation for a career it is not in itself a career.

3) Mate why do you need to shout at people, you do realise that we are not for the most part deaf, nor are we afraid of loud noises we just think "does this guy have a psychological problem or something", my point is that there is a time and a place for everything and trying to out muscle a school teacher perhaps does not meet that criteria especially one that may be trying to help you.

4) I am confused about the hat story, it is common etiquette to remove hats indoors unless for religious reasons.

Last edited:
I agree with MontyB...the child is SEVEN!!!!!! If his grades are good then what's this the problem???? Daydream ing? Hell, I still still do it do it and I will be joining AARP next year!
So, huh?!
GM, BTW!

When you go in to speak with her tomorrow, apologize for losing your temper. After she accepts your apology, explain to her that you had to leave your job to have a meeting with her because your very concerned with his education and behavior in her class. (this may keep her from calling you for frivolous reasons in the future)

Also, let her know that you're available for conferences but only quick trips to the school when it's an actual emergency.

Talk to her about the reason why she may have a problem with his "day dreaming". I don't believe there's anything wrong with a child daydreaming at all, as long as he isn't interrupting the class and participates. .. Maybe she isn't keeping her class interesting enough?? He may be finishing his work before everyone else and doesn't know what to do with this extra time.

Try to find out a little more detail about he's really doing and offer some suggestions.

Good luck

Last edited:
I'll admit I definitely lost my temper. I agree, 7 year olds should be allowed to day dream a little. Like I said, his grades are top notch, but in my opinion if he's finishing early then there needs to be something in place to keep him busy. Either reading or working on extra homework or classwork etc. And that's either on my end, or theirs, I'm not sure which. I mean he loves to read, so maybe I'm not understanding why that's not an option/not being exercised?

And like I said, it was not an issue of leaving. I mean all I have to do is tell my SFC what's going on and go. It was an issue that she made it seem like a straight out emergency whereas it really wasn't. And if there is an issue we need to discuss, I'd much rather set up an appointment then I call tell my superiors this day I have to go at whatever time to have a parent-teacher conference.

When my son started school when he was 5 years old, he came home from school one day and told me that his class teacher refused to let him go to the toilet and told him to wait until lunch time and that he almost dirtied his trousers.

The next day I went to the school and asked the Head Mistress why he was refused, she stated that children going to the toilet disrupt's the class and he had plenty of time to go during morning break time. I asked her if she realised the damage that can be done to a small child's body by refusing a child to go to the toilet, I then said that from now on my son goes to the toilet whenever he needs to and if he is refused again I will bring in the Health Authority. I didn't raise my voice, I simply told her in a calm manner.

I read my son the riot act and that he ONLY goes to the toilet if he has to and not to bugger around to get out of lessons.

Last edited:
When my son started school when he was 5 years old, he came home from school one day and told me that his class teacher refused to let him go to the toilet and told him to wait until lunch time and that he almost dirtied his trousers.

The next day I went to the school and asked the Head Mistress why he was refused, she stated that children going to the toilet disrupt's the class and he had plenty of time to go during morning break time. I asked her if she realised the damage that can be done to a small child's body by refusing a child to go to the toilet, I then said that from now on my son goes to the toilet whenever he needs to and if he is refused again I will bring in the Health Authority. I didn't raise my voice, I simply told her in a calm manner.

I read my son the riot act and that he ONLY goes to the toilet if he has to and not to bugger around to get out of lessons.

Well I was much calmer with the teacher as opposed to the Assistant Principal. We discussed things, and it appears that Scotty is completing his work ahead of time, and doesn't have anything school related to do, so he daydreams or doodles or what have you. The teacher was concerned because she felt that maybe he should be in a more advanced class, which is an option for next year.

Don't even get me started on the reading in class part.

But, it won't be at this school. Found out today that once I get this class graduated it, I'm shipping up to Ft. Jackson with the rank of Sergeant First Class, not Staff Sergeant. So once we get up there and get him enrolled I'll mention it then.

Back