Any More Unusual Military Terms/Names ?

DTop

I have noticed that different military branches have different terms for similar things. I'll start it off (I think they're right). See if you can you come up with any more? How about other than U.S.?

Civilian term: Store
U.S. Army: Post Exchange
U.S. Air Force: Base Exchange
U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps: Geedunk (ship's store)

Your turn.

The reason the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marines bicker amongst themselves is that they don't speak the same language. For instance, take the simple phrase "secure the building".

The Army will post guards around the place.
The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.
The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters
The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.

from: http://www.military-quotes.com/jokes/military-jokes-2.htm :lol:

My boyfriend, being ex-Army Ranger (now AF.. what was he thinking, right?) Always confuses me with Army lingo.. for instance, your career in the AF is called, your AFSC, or Air Force Specialty Code. A code which identifies what your job is.
Mine being a 2A571. 2A5 is heavy aircraft maintainer. "7" is the level, and 1... is Crew Chief.
Army calls it MOS.
Marines and Navy? ... anyone? :)

Battleaxe said:
My boyfriend, being ex-Army Ranger (now AF.. what was he thinking, right?) Always confuses me with Army lingo.. for instance, your career in the AF is called, your AFSC, or Air Force Specialty Code. A code which identifies what your job is.
Mine being a 2A571. 2A5 is heavy aircraft maintainer. "7" is the level, and 1... is Crew Chief.
Army calls it MOS.
Marines and Navy? ... anyone? :)

I've already asked this in another post, but just in case you miss it .. what batt did he serve in and when? I'm a former batt boy myself.

AF has very confusing lingo - even working with PJs, TACPs, CCTs, A-10 bucks, etc all of the time I could never remember it.

Marines = MOS
Navy = Rate

redneck said:
The Marines call it "Infantry," for everybody.
:lol:

I was with a Navy unit for a while (I'm Air Force). That was interesting. For one thing, they fall in backwards! They fell into four elements starting at the front right corner next to the guideon, which makes sense. But the extra people fall in in the first element and go back instead of the last and go forward... I was so confused for about a week. :?

Oh and a memo is a chit?!

Don't know of any actual military lingo, but I've got some from Cadets.

Washroom:

Sea Cadets: Head
Army Cadets: Latrine
Air Cadets: Washroom
We Pilots: Place to go pee

Dining Hall:

Sea Cadets: Mess
Army Cadets: Mess
Air Cadets: Mess
We Pilots: Subway

Back