Any difference in 4 Years of ROTC and 2 Years of it?

JulesLee

Is there any difference if you take 2 years of senior ROTC instead of 4?
I dont have much money.. and I want to join the Army.. and I was considering 2 years of CC because of less money + I wont get 4 year scholorship anyways.. average is 2 i heard..

and is Junior ROTC good for you if ur gonna go into senior ROTC?

JulesLee said:
Is there any difference if you take 2 years of senior ROTC instead of 4?

Yeah, a commission.

As for JROTC, of course it's good, even if you aren't planning to join ROTC or enlist, good JROTC programs are almost always a positive if nothing but for the activities.

PJ, I may be looking at this in a different way, but I think he might be referring to the difference between taking the first two non-obligatory years of college ROTC in addition to the contracted two years of the senior course, as opposed to just taking the latter two mandatory years to get the commission.

There are many ways to go with each plan (more if you are enlisted already); for the freshman and sophomore year, you can just take the class with no obligation, or you can apply for scholarships which are very competitive. In the last two years, you have to contract, and can apply for a few scholarships.

The main difference between the 2 year and 4 year plans: money. The more you committ yourself to the dark side, the more money they will throw at you.

I'm contracted under an SMP agreement, so I drill with my Reserve unit and take the college course. I get more money from the Reserve, a tuition waiver from ROTC, and a monthly stipend of like $300 I think, plus some money for books.

Also, for you to be in the ROTC program, you have to be enrolled in a FOUR year, approved degree program at a university. Community college is a no-go if you plan on a commission through ROTC. You're better off taking loans for the first two years of college if you don't get a 4 year ROTC scholarship, and then when you contract, use your GI Bill (yes, cadets are now eligible for it) to pay off your loans and pay for school. Money will be tight, and you will work your ass off mentally and physically, but if you are serious enough about it, go for it. As we say in the the Corps of Engineers, Essayons! "Let us try!"

I hope I'm not bloviating here.

Back