Anti-war mom Cindy Sheehan gives up her protest

--

May 29th, 2007  
Team Infidel

Topic: Anti-war mom Cindy Sheehan gives up her protest

Cindy Sheehan, the mother who became an anti-war leader after her soldier son was killed in Iraq, says she is walking away from the peace movement. Sheehan says her son died "for nothing." And she says her activism has cost her health, her husband and her savings.
FULL STORY
May 29th, 2007  
Marinerhodes

I can say that she may have firmly believed in her cause. I will say also that she went about doing it the wrong way.
May 29th, 2007  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
I can say that she may have firmly believed in her cause. I will say also that she went about doing it the wrong way.
You are right on the money.

Or as we say in Massachusetts, "Dawn breaks on marblehead."
--
May 30th, 2007  
phoenix80

I'm so happy to hear this. It's so surprising to see how leftists treat their own
May 30th, 2007  
Fox

*sigh*.....oh, man, it's feel good to hear that Cindy Sheehan is leaving as a "leader" of Anti-War protesters.
May 30th, 2007  
mmarsh

Quote:
I agree,

I had a big fight with Doody about this a year or so ago. I supported her initially, but I have since somewhat changed my mind. It became more of a circus freak attraction than a political rally. It was time to end it.

Her crusade did highlight how little the people in power care about the human costs that their little military adventure has caused. To my knowledge, Bush and Co has still not attended a single funeral yet. He's either completely disconnected from sentimentality or more likely he's too afraid of having to explain to the Families of why their child is dead.
May 30th, 2007  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
I agree,

I had a big fight with Doody about this a year or so ago. I supported her initially, but I have since somewhat changed my mind. It became more of a circus freak attraction than a political rally. It was time to end it.

Her crusade did highlight how little the people in power care about the human costs that their little military adventure has caused. To my knowledge, Bush and Co has still not attended a single funeral yet. He's either completely disconnected from sentimentality or more likely he's too afraid of having to explain to the Families of why their child is dead.
This is due to the saying: "If I do it for one of you I will have to do it for all of you or seem unfair to many of you."

This does not mean he feels the losses any less than than you or I. Keep in mind, MOST people in general are unaffected by the death or misfortune of someone unless it has impact on their life.

The war has caused many deaths to be sure. We know what the toll on life is for the war. But how many more deaths would there have been if we had not gone to war? How many lives did we actually save by going to war? You can not answer that nor can I.

I doubt Cindy Sheehan or the majority of people have stopped to consider these things.

The world is fast becoming used to the instant gratification. They only look to the here and now. They aren't thinking 5-10 years down the road.
May 30th, 2007  
KJ

I might not have agreed with her/ the way she went about doing it, but I actually gave her cudos for sticking up for what she believed.

Now she´s just another quitter...
May 30th, 2007  
mmarsh

Quote:
This is due to the saying: "If I do it for one of you I will have to do it for all of you or seem unfair to many of you."

This does not mean he feels the losses any less than than you or I. Keep in mind, MOST people in general are unaffected by the death or misfortune of someone unless it has impact on their life.

The war has caused many deaths to be sure. We know what the toll on life is for the war. But how many more deaths would there have been if we had not gone to war? How many lives did we actually save by going to war? You can not answer that nor can I.

I doubt Cindy Sheehan or the majority of people have stopped to consider these things.

The world is fast becoming used to the instant gratification. They only look to the here and now. They aren't thinking 5-10 years down the road.
I don't accept that. There have been several presidents that have attended soldiers funerals or given memorial services for those KIA.

They include

Lincoln
FDR
L.Johnson
Carter
Reagan
B.Clinton

Source:
http://hnn.us/articles/1784.html

I'll slightly amend what I said earlier. I am sure Bush does feel something, but I think the real reason he won't go is because of his pride, nothing more. Bush attending a funeral would be admission of responsibility on his part of the deaths of these young people.

Remember, This President never takes responsibility for ANYTHING.

Jimmy Carter is a good man, but he was not a good president. At least he had the guts to accept the responsibility for the 1979 hostage rescue disaster and the deaths of the servicemen involved. He attended their services, but that fiasco and his admission of responsibility cost him the presidency. Do you think Bush and his neocon puppeteers would ever have the courage to do the same about Iraq, especially if it risked giving up power?

Hell would freeze over first.

Bush wants the glory of being the 'war president' like that obvious publicity stunt on the aircraft carrier but wants nothing to do with responsibilities and Burdens of being the CnC during War. Having to meet people like Cindy Sheehan is not on his "important" list.
May 30th, 2007  
Chief Bones

Topic: No 'feel good' feelings .....

Sorry guys ... I have absolutely no 'feel good' feelings for Ms. Sheehan. The ONLY lasting consequences of her actions, was to smear everything her son stood for - he "VOLUNTEERED" to serve in Iraq and fully supported the "MISSION" (a free Iraq), our soldiers were tasked with ... he gave his life in support of the mission that others might celebrate the freedoms so many Americans take for granted (Ms. Sheehan included).

Footnote: I was never in agreement with the decision to invade Iraq ... I believe we invaded Iraq with NO justification.

As far as GW Bush, I really believe that the number of deaths resulting from his decisions don't even arise to the level of his caring ... I believe that the ONLY thing that he really cares about, is convincing people around the world that he is infallible with his decisions (his King George crown is slipping and the ONLY thing he really cares about, is trying to put the shine back on the crown).