anti military in school

OpsSpec04

Lately with the end of the year coming closer, some people who are totaly anti-military and government are talking alot of trash about the military and stuff, and I don't know how to really handle it. And they are only running their mouths when I'm near. Is there anything I can do to get it off my mind...I'm not one of those people who can just let things roll off their back...not when I care too much about it. And I'm really like.....for the military ... obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have enlisted. But..anyways...I just don't know what I can say to tell them that the media is never right and they need to be more respectful to me. They can have their opinion, and I'll defend their right to say it, just as long as they don't go saying it just because I'm around. I don't know...tell me what you think. :roll: thanks

They are only doing it to see you get mad buddy, if you give in to it and tell them off they win, it would make me mad too but they will only find humour in it if you show them your mad, just try and ignor them really, sorry that's all the advice i have :)

GUNNER

as long as its talking, just keep in your mind that soldiers gave them that right of freedom of speech. To do anything would basically blow away that freedom. Its understandable bro but its their right. I would love to be within arms reach of someone burning an American flag...but even as disgraceful as it is...its their right.

shrug it off. I have to go to class in uniform on certain days, and I've been spit on, called all sorts of names...but you can't do anything. You stoop to their level, and you're just as bad as them.

what makes me sick is what they did to those returning from vietnam call them fascists and pigs. Most who went liked the war just as much as the hippies but knew that when your country needs you even if you dont agree its your duty to fight.

Those clowns are just broadcasting the fact that their bellies are as yellow as the streak that runs down their backs in place of a spine.I went through pretty much the same when I wore my uniform when traveling and even when I wore it to Midnight Mass one Christmas at my father's request. A former classmate tried to put me down but I was amazed at the support that came from the parrishiners that were in ear shot of her remarks.Wear those blues as proudly as I always did. USNVietnam and Cold War Vet.

I remember when I was in highschool I had a lot of friends who were into the whole "punk" thing where they thought it was cool to hate the govt and the military. They gave me a hard time about joining the military but I would just say "Atleast you'll be able to sleep safe at night."

We fight for their right to put us down and talk crap. Remember that! Everyone in the military has had their fair share of people like that and when I come in contact with someone like that I simply smile and walk away. :D

Pogue said:
and I've been spit on,

Actually if someone spits on you intentionally, that falls under the category of an assault, so feel free to restrain their happy asses for awhile. Learned that one from COPS. :lol:

By and large, it's pretty good around here as far as respect for the military goes, with just a few junior hippies mouthing off and acting out their hippie hero fantasies of telling the man off or some such bull (Pogue, I had a bum spit at me once, now that's a dang NBC attack :lol: ). But like czar said, they're showing their yellow sides, I've seen a couple folks that were yelling and screaming at me when I was in uniform, but when I walk by them every other day in civvies you could hear a mouse whisper. I think it's the same mentality behind yelling "pigs" at cops and the like, they know that nothing will happen to them, but they get a rush out of it, kind of like a hippie rollercoaster.

Yeah i know that. Its the same here. In some cities like Frankfurt or Berlin if you wear your uniform ouside the base, you`ll get spit, insulted as nazi or even be beaten up.....
During my first year in the army two comrades from my platoon were beaten up by a gang of russians outside a club on friday evening.
Next week the whole platoon showed up and had a "serious talk" to that gang.
Next morning when our commanding officer saw out little injuries like black eyes and so on, it rained penalies for the whole platoon.
But they werent so hard, and after that he asked us if won a least...
The whole platoon answered with a "jawohl herr hauptmann"
he smiled, said "well done guys" to us and walked off......

What is "jawohl herr hauptmann"?

Redneck is right in most states here, spittin on someone is considered an assault and retaliation is fine. However, you have to think about what some of the guys that have been before you would do, guys like DTop. They have actually been through this with more force than any of you will probably have to face. Find these men and talk to them, it is a matter of self discipline. I dont know if I was in their place if i could walk away but if that is waht an old salt told me is the right thing then that is what I would be strivin for.

I will not retaliate. When I am in that uniform, my actions are reflected upon the Army as a whole, and the US. Turn the other cheek, and it makes the Army look that much better.

jawohl herr hauptmann

Deleted.

Edit: For some reason I cannot delete this post so I am forced to exhibit my ignorance. Grrrr...

Edit: No I don't... It means "Yes Sir, Captain". Thanks Redneck :oops:

I agree with those who said shrug it off chances are they are just all talk no show. At least you have the guts to join the Military, that (in my opinion) is the hardest choice you can make. If they spit on you by all means kick their asses.

you just can laugh about those guys.
Joining Military means becoming a part of a such a awesome, great, big thing, those sissies even cant imagine.
with your sign you immediatly get 1,5 million comrades in the US that rely on each other to the death. I would go even further and say that every soldier in the world, that deserves that name will respect you.

Or you can try the Mr. Cool approach. Walk up to them; stare the leader in the eye; say something along the lines of "We keep u safe at night"; and then walk away and dont look back.

Pollux said:
[...] those sissies even cant imagine.
[...]

Watch out when you start dissin the sissi. :lol: Somehow the similarity in pronouncing sissi in finnish and sissy in english never ceases to amaze me.

Don't upset the "stealthiest animal in the forest". :) They might be the sworn "enemy" of all MP's but one learn's to respect ones adversary.

As to the dissin military in the school. It's hard to think of that in acountry where 80% of the male population serve their time, and every fifth man is in the reserve.

Tell them that there are still countries where even conscription is widely considered a privilege of a citizen ready to take responsibility over the decicions he/she has made through democratic institutions.

I basically agree with all of you. But since we shouldn't illude ourselves that one day this sort of people will just disappear from around us, I'm afraid we really need to find a way to deal with it. There should be some sort of a standard conduct for those who get insulted or called names. I mean it's weird that we're here wondering what one should do in that case.
For I would just be like: " We keep you safe at night ".

It'd burn my arse to see something like that happen. But still, restraint is the better man....yet revenge is bitter sweet. Oops, I say that outloud? lol Knowing me, I'd walk up and render the salute along side the man in a show of support. Spitting on me though, they'd be a whole new ball of wax, someone would have an extra joint in their body or maybe just a new open sore.

Back