"Anti military Germany"

ObjSRgtLw

Episode of the series Germany vs. USA, it's really a good show and gives a great understanding of each other countries. The German guy is the perfect liberal representative of our country for that is what we have most these day ;). Gives you good insights on both cultures I think, so check out other episodes- it's all in English.
Please feel invited to comment and discuss anything you see on this show.

Germany vs. USA

One MAJOR difference: In America almost every Politician is or has to be a Patriot and almost everyone is supporting the troops- in Germany to be a Patriot often kinda puts you in the right corner of Politics and for Germany that means bad things are going to happen (at least for your career), supporting the troops- I don't know, I never felt supported and many times you are not even respected like every other human beeing, there's nothing coming back from the majority of the public- the general belief is that we chose this job so we have to live with the sometimes hard consequences. So it's our job and that comrades die means for most people that we should leave Afghanistan...

Obj... we have a choice man. We have a choice. Seriously. Both of us have issues with this. If you have the time and money, visit us in DC.

That's a very very nice vid. Thx for that. It shows the sad situation with the military in germany. Yes, we've got this "special" history where a lot of things went terrible wrong, and we mustn't forget that, but the antimilitarism in germany today is a bit too intense. In germany, soldiers who are wearing their uniform (e.g. fridays at the way home) are often offended by (mostyl young) people just for wearing the uniform and what it stands for. But a lot of soldiers don't wear their uniform in public. A few months ago our President (Horst Köhler) has said that he would like to see more soldiers in uniform in public.
And what they said in the video about our conscription is unfortunately true. It's a duty for every german male that is around 20 years old, and the only way to avoid the military service is to have physically complaints or to have mental reservations by handle a weapon. But in fact, like they said in the video, just 1/3 from them are do there service. But it doesn't work otherwise, because our army is too small for all of them since the end of the cold war.

It was your choice to sign the contract.
It IS up to you to live with the consequences. Good or Bad, it´s on you.

Having said that.
You will have to find your own reason for serving.
May it be the guys next to you on the field or the proud warriortradition of your nation.
(Say what you want about germany, but I have nothing but respect for the fighting men of germany during any timeframe in history.)
Sure your warriorethos got defiled by people in uniforms.
So how about it, time to show the world you are past that or time to hide inside the gates?

I dunno about you, but had I been german I guess I would have wanted to show the world the corps esprit and warrior ethos that the german FIGHTING men were known for and let people make up their own mind.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.
//KJ.

It was your choice to sign the contract.
It IS up to you to live with the consequences. Good or Bad, it´s on you.

Having said that.
You will have to find your own reason for serving.
May it be the guys next to you on the field or the proud warriortradition of your nation.
(Say what you want about germany, but I have nothing but respect for the fighting men of germany during any timeframe in history.)
Sure your warriorethos got defiled by people in uniforms.
So how about it, time to show the world you are past that or time to hide inside the gates?

I dunno about you, but had I been german I guess I would have wanted to show the world the corps esprit and warrior ethos that the german FIGHTING men were known for and let people make up their own mind.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.
//KJ.
Quite interesting and positive statement, thank you.
Of course there's a lot of whining and maybe not enough looking in the future and trying to make things better. For every true soldier it's about the Comrade first- no doubt, and there is no doubt about the strength of German Military in the Military History. But just get a German uniform and wear it some months in public- it will take it's toll on you, you will get into fights you don't want, many will look down on you (and or spit on you), almost all question you- few will respect you. As a matter of fact the public behaviour will affect you in some way. That feeling is often expressed by many soldiers- and I can't help it myself though I'm beginning to think about it like you described it. Still it's kind of hard, because you entered the Forces without knowing how damaged the relationship between Public and Military in Germany is- I admired soldiers and respected them- I thought people would do the same when I would become a soldier- there was kind of a shock. For intelligent people there is no doubt that the military is an instrument of politicians and people living in Germany openly chose to have and or send soldiers- it's not the soldiers making any decisions, it's a Paradox why people still express their peaceful position with hating soldiers who are fighting for it or preserving it or just have a job like the Policemen.
I hope I made my point here.
Just imagine that your post would be considered fascist already in Germany for many many people- hard to believe but that's the truth.
I didn't give up hope for changes but I think a profound change will need a trigger point or a politician who has the nuts to face that topic and change things.
I am living with my decision and I'm still happy I chose the way of the warrior ;), but forums are a way of adressing problems- that doesn't mean I'm always running around with a bad attitude blaming every civilian for it. But you made a good point KJ. I should keep that in my mind.

Last edited:
its basic psychology i think.

the german people are putting up a huge defense mechanism, perhaps out of guilt, so that ww2 type stuff will never happen again.

but this isnt the 1940s. i could understand this attitude after in the 20th century but they have to get past it now.

despite the horrible past, it's an entirely different country today...completely democratic just like any other western nation.

germany acknowledges its past wrongdoings and now its soldiers who are fine young men like any other soldiers, men who want to protect liberty and humanity, should be respected for their decision to defend freedom and democracy.

thats my 2 cents, coming from an american jew. :mrgreen:

When I re-enlisted in South Korea (though I didn't serve out the second term due to family issues) the people serving were one of the top reasons for doing so. "Protecting the public" wasn't exactly a motivator. Doesn't matter whether the public likes you or not. Yeah it's great to be appreciated but it doesn't matter. It's not really why you're there.
If they hate the fact that you wear the uniform, then don't wear it outside. It doesn't matter and it doesn't change who you are or what you do. When you are needed, they will be sh1tting their pants crying for people in uniform to show up. When it happens don't forget to take a warm shower, shave, cut your nails and take a relaxing stroll to the burning village.

Back