Anti-Deployment Protests that are Ridiculous

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
This one's more like a personal rant about a certain err... movement that's been going on here. It hasn't picked up much momentum but you meet guys who say this sort of crap wherever you go.

They are angry at the fact that South Korea sends troops abroad on peacekeeping missions according to the demands of the United States and other foreign countries.

Okay, let me put it this way.
First of all, every guy who goes abroad is a volunteer. Not just a volunteer, but also has the signatures from his or her parents (both if alive) who sign an approval form before deployment training and after deployment training (just before actual deployment). There are so many guys who want to go that it's very competitive.
No South Korean soldier has fired a shot in anger in any of the present deployments to my knowledge. A few died in some strange ways, one lieutenant ate his own bullet (suicide), there was one friendly fire incident in Iraq and one translator was killed in Afghanistan and purely by accident because he happened to be with Americans that day who were the target. All volunteers, no one forced them to go.
Now, for your regular career military guy, South Korea gives some benefits but in terms of pay it's utter crap. Let me give you an example. A newly promoted Sergeant First Class or Gunnery Sergeant will be paid about $2,000 per month so about $24,000 per year. It's not good at all, especially if you happen to have a family. It's inevitable because of the size of the military Korea requires. In comes a deployment opportunity. You go to wherever it is is available and you get paid about $20,000 in bonus ABOVE what you're getting paid normally and it's for a 6 month deployment tour. Tell me that's not a winner. Sh*t, I want to go!
Let's not even go into the whole thing of how deployment helps the military become more focused and smarter and more experienced, especially with MOOTW.
The best part is, NO ONE TOLD YOU TO GO!

And there are these civilians who PROTEST this.
It's like they're doing it for fun.
You know what? I think protesting is too damned safe nowadays.

Just like people in my college who insult and deride my friends for joining the Army. If someone is forcing you to join up, that's one thing. But this is just total disrespect for no real reason.

I can guarantee that I would NEVER protest against soldiers. Recruiting officers, maybe if I was particularly angry. Politicians and high ranking generals who have never fired a shot in anger sending soldiers around? Look out.

I see what you're saying here. However, the US military is a completely volunteer military. Everyone in it ASKED to be in it. The difference here is that when once they ASK to be in, they are now the property of the United States and are to do anything the United States deems fit. So, the military personel need to know what they are getting into BEFORE they join.

As for "anit-depolyment" protests....Well, we have people here who protest the military in general. They sit outside of military bases and hold up signs and the like. I like to go to the oposite side of the street and hold up signs which say "Support our Military" and a nice big American Flag.

hemp-organic_2008_1677584

My sentiments. I love American soldiers and America. I don't like politicians and pentagon lobbyists who send soldiers into harm's way for questionable causes.

My sentiments. I love American soldiers and America. I don't like politicians and pentagon lobbyists who send soldiers into harm's way for questionable causes.
Well put. I would like to see if these same politicians would make the same decisions if they kenw that their own children were going to be deployed to the hot zones. I doubt it, but some of them might not have the same feeling for family that I do, so lets just use their money. Would they make the same decisions if their MONEY were to have to be over there for a whole term? I doubt it.

With that being said, I'm still willing to do the job that they tell me to do. It's what I volunteered for and I knew it when I signed the papers. :???:

Though a number of congressmen served in the military, none of their kids are in the military. And I'm betting that it's been at least 50 years since the son of a congressman saw frontline service.

Yeah McCains son is a Marine Officer. Pallins son is Army enlisted and going over with a Stryker Brigade shortly.

Jimmy McCain served as an Infantry Marine in Al Anbar province. Yeah I'd call that the front line.

Stryker Brigades don't hang out in the Green Zone eithier.

Still, definitely a small number I assume. As of one point during the Bush Administration it was 0. Read it somewhere... ah well.

I agree with Ex-Navy cobra's point that most of Washington is out of touch with war situations beacuse they have no connection to them.

On a seperate note, I have a feeling that McCain and Palin's kids will be untouched, if they're good parents. If I had the power to get my kid a military career, discipline, and background without letting them get in harm's way I can guarantee that I would.

Well McCains son already did one tour in the box as a Lcpl, before getting an appointment to USNA. So I'd say given the area he was in he got lucky and made it out in one piece.

Just a few, I wish military service would be a requirement for president what do you think should we start the amendment process?

Back