Anti-Aircraft guns

Darcia

I was wondering whether AA guns where becoming outdated by SAMS, are if they still have some purpose left.

I believe they have became outdated but I was wondering what other people felt about this.

Yup their out dated but I love'um like the M163 and M167 VADS or the Sgt. York DIVADS anf the mother of all American anti-aircraft guns the T249-B Vigilante 37mm Cannon.

On another note:

Cool I've got the same sig at another forum.

One thing is alot of nations still have them. But would Surface-Air-Missle's be thier replacement then?

The AAA is still quite useful. Especially for the lowest of flying aircraft. Also when a combat jet approaches what they do is they often put up a steel curtain of lead that the plane may not be able to manouver away from.
Strangely enough, only one combat flight simulator, F-15 Strike Eagle III ever simulated this.

AA guns not only shoot planes

as demostrated by the germans, flak 88s and high caliber ones are tank killers

small AA guns are devesting aginist infantry and tanks

the best part about AA guns is that they are not bad looking at all

AAA wouldn't do much against a modern MBT.

AAA is only arround because it's cheaper than a missle but a lot less effective. There are also systems like the Phalanx that are designed to shoot down incomming missiles.

To have no AAA because you have enough SAMs is like having no shovels because you have enough fork cranes. You need both.

If anything, non-radar reliant AAA is impervious to electronic warfare. They're also very hard to detect from the air, especially when we're talking about fixed wing aircraft. Maybe better detected by choppers with IR sensors.

Well are AA guns exspensive to operate or are they pretty cheap. One thing I was thinking could make them a little exspensive is the bullets since they can shoot so many. I know SAMS are more exspensive though.

AA guns are useful against infantry, light APCs and helicopters.

Jet planes fly too fast to get easily hit but AA guns are useful to disturb planes to get them climb higher to SAM's firing altitude.

As Whispering Death already mentioned, there is the Phalanx. It's absolutely amazing. Very effective and not going away any time soon.

I was just watching a show on how some F-117 pilots where talking about during the first gulf war they where heading into Baghdad and the AA guns starting going off and they dove right into it. Which kinda shows how bad the aim is cause they missed the bombers when they dove right into the enemy fire.

Darcia said:
I was just watching a show on how some F-117 pilots where talking about during the first gulf war they where heading into Baghdad and the AA guns starting going off and they dove right into it. Which kinda shows how bad the aim is cause they missed the bombers when they dove right into the enemy fire.

What type of AA guns did the irakies use?

100mm russuian made guns

57mm auto AA gun

23mm quad AA machinecannon

14.5 quad AA machinegun

ive heard of iraqi soldiers firing their rifles into the air before apaches owned them with the chian gun, aparently they wasted precious ammo

The Apache is actually well armored. You cannot take it out with an assault rifle and I think it'll even be hard to do with a .50 MG.

the_13th_redneck said:
The Apache is actually well armored. You cannot take it out with an assault rifle and I think it'll even be hard to do with a .50 MG.

It comes down, don't worry. The worst enemy of the helo pilot is one single man armed with assault rifle. Hits by 23mm and 12.7mm will at least damage badly and every spot isn't armored at all.

To get helo armored enough to take hits, would it's weight increase too heavy to get fly. Usually helo's rely more in tactics, cover and speed than armor's thickness.

Back