Anti-Aircraft guns

--

January 22nd, 2005  
Darcia

Topic: Anti-Aircraft guns

I was wondering whether AA guns where becoming outdated by SAMS, are if they still have some purpose left.

I believe they have became outdated but I was wondering what other people felt about this.
January 22nd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yup their out dated but I love'um like the M163 and M167 VADS or the Sgt. York DIVADS anf the mother of all American anti-aircraft guns the T249-B Vigilante 37mm Cannon.

On another note:

Cool I've got the same sig at another forum.
January 22nd, 2005  
Darcia

One thing is alot of nations still have them. But would Surface-Air-Missle's be thier replacement then?
--
January 22nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

The AAA is still quite useful. Especially for the lowest of flying aircraft. Also when a combat jet approaches what they do is they often put up a steel curtain of lead that the plane may not be able to manouver away from.
Strangely enough, only one combat flight simulator, F-15 Strike Eagle III ever simulated this.
January 22nd, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

one word: cheaper
January 22nd, 2005  
Chinaman

AA guns not only shoot planes

as demostrated by the germans, flak 88s and high caliber ones are tank killers

small AA guns are devesting aginist infantry and tanks

the best part about AA guns is that they are not bad looking at all
January 22nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

AAA wouldn't do much against a modern MBT.

AAA is only arround because it's cheaper than a missle but a lot less effective. There are also systems like the Phalanx that are designed to shoot down incomming missiles.
January 22nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

To have no AAA because you have enough SAMs is like having no shovels because you have enough fork cranes. You need both.

If anything, non-radar reliant AAA is impervious to electronic warfare. They're also very hard to detect from the air, especially when we're talking about fixed wing aircraft. Maybe better detected by choppers with IR sensors.
January 23rd, 2005  
Darcia

Well are AA guns exspensive to operate or are they pretty cheap. One thing I was thinking could make them a little exspensive is the bullets since they can shoot so many. I know SAMS are more exspensive though.
January 23rd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Nothing's cheap man. Freedom ain't free. It's friggin' expensive.