This is in answer to . .

Marinerhodes

In Australia we never got any gongs for doing our JOB right.
That is one thing ill never understand about yanks, you get a medal for anything and everything "PTE XXX, YOU ARE HEREBY AWARDED THE SNAPPY SALUTE MEDAL, WELL DONE SON"
Dont take this personally, but what a load of wank
And dont get me wrong, Campaign/service medals are not what i am talking about. of course these have merit.
As do Decorations (not like the christmas tree type)
Original Post Here

Since I have been in the Marine Corps I have held at a minimum a billet of the next highest rank. i.e. LCpl/PFC holding an NCO billet, now a Sgt holding a SNCO billet. Have yet to get an award for it. It all depends on your command. I know of people getting CertComs for taking a picture for an inspection for gear setup so the entire company can get locked on right so we can get half a day off. (It was presented to me as a Cpl at a Company formation. Man you shoulda heard the snide jokes I got, "just for taking a picture". But it provided guidance for the entire company and even the SNCOs/Officers didn't take the time or initiative to do it).

Point being it is the command and what they feel deserves a personal award. In just about any command I have heard of, a person has gotten a Navy Achievement Medal for doing for one year what I have been doing for the past 4 years:

The past 4 years I have managed as a PFC to Sgt over $30million in government assets and have yet to to date to have a single physical discrepancy over $2500.00 (i.e. physical loss or gain of government property with no supporting documentation). Not even an "good job" piece of paper for that. Sure it is my job. But I know of many SNCOs and Officers that would not have been able to do the same.

I had to get it off my chest to some folks that might understand what that little bit of colored ribbon can sometimes mean to other folks as well as your own sense of self worth to the units you deidcate yourself to.

Last edited:
I think it all comes down to differing systems If we did a good job of something, usually the Boss will just shake your hand, and say well done If you guys do something good, you get a chestfull of crap that says im a good soldier. In our system, you know a good soldier, because the crap ones are pulling extra duties, or sweeping the parade ground while the good ones are at the boozer. It sounds like you are good at your job, im not doubting that, but it is your job, so isnt that what is expected of you, and that you do it to the best of your ability? Just because you have the ability to do it better than someone else, even if they are of higher rank, does that really merit a medal? I dont want to start any fights or anything, but i would much rather have the personal satisfaction of doing my job right for my own self worth, as opposed to having a piece of cloth on my chest. Johnno

I think it all comes down to differing systems If we did a good job of something, usually the Boss will just shake your hand, and say well done If you guys do something good, you get a chestfull of crap that says im a good soldier. In our system, you know a good soldier, because the crap ones are pulling extra duties, or sweeping the parade ground while the good ones are at the boozer. It sounds like you are good at your job, im not doubting that, but it is your job, so isnt that what is expected of you, and that you do it to the best of your ability? Just because you have the ability to do it better than someone else, even if they are of higher rank, does that really merit a medal? I dont want to start any fights or anything, but i would much rather have the personal satisfaction of doing my job right for my own self worth, as opposed to having a piece of cloth on my chest. Johnno

Agreed. Medals are for campaigns, long service, gallantry/bravery and outstanding service, medals for minor service of merit degrads from the whole honours and awards system. The benifit of our system is that a man wears a medal, you know he really has done something to deserve it.

The soldiers walking around with CIBs, Ranger tabs, and pathfinder badges get my attention. Their medals mean nothing to me. A medal is pretty much being in the right place at the right time. A skill identifier however shows that they not only stood above their peers to earn that slot but they also passed the school to earn the badge. A CIB is the superbowl ring of the Infantryman. I cant speak for everyone but you easily misunderstand me.

Last edited:
In order of the respect I instantly have to the man inside the uniform...
Combat Medic Badge
Medal of Honor
Ranger tab right shoulder
and then the
Combat Infantry Badge

Any of these and I instantly STFU and listen to anything that comes out of their mouth when they decide to speak. The rest of the tossed salad on the chest unless it has a V device I take no note of it. Its more about how I was raised than anything else.

I personally don´t give a **** about salads.

CIB, Ranger tab, combat diver(trident) or combat medic get my attention.
That shows me they are good at what they do, and they have the intestinal fortitude to fight to get there.
Don´t get me wrong though, I have nothing but respect for ANYONE serving his/her country in any capacity wheather it be as a cook or aviator.

However, when working with other nations forces I instinctively "read their chest" to figure out if we have been working at the same place before ie:Campaign medals and such.
I find it to be a good opening to conversation when we have worked in the same mud/sand/hills/jungle.

//KJ

I don't normally respond to this type of a thread but in this case I'll just say that I don't feel it's my place to judge whether or not somebody deserves whatever award they're wearing. I'll admit I'm not familiar with many of the awards of other countries' military awards. I am familiar with many of the major awards and anyone wearing them deserves my respect. I noticed no mention of the Purple Heart, I am familiar with what it takes to be awarded one of those and I'd like to add that to the list of respected awards mentioned here.
If the Aussies aren't as liberal with awards than the Americans, then that's their business. I'm sure that the USMC is a bit more stingy than the USAF for example but that still doesn't diminish any of their individual abilities or achievements. Individuals have their accomplishments in peace and in war. I think there's really nothing wrong with an award as a goal to improve an individual's performance. Pats on the back work, as do challenge coins, ribbons and so forth. They serve to motivate and there's no military in the world that doesn't value a motivated soldier.

Top is a stud who has the badges and the medals. He would be the perfect example of a soldier who would get my attention. He has this young grunts absolute respect.

Unfortunately, the Purple Heart has lost a lot of its meaning (in general) due to what it is being awarded for in our current conflict.

The same is said for the BSM and SSM, I have also seen and heard of a few "Vs" being handed out. Not really the norm on that latter, though.

But on the other side of the coin, if we're going to discount medals now, then CIBs, CMBs and CABs should be thrown in too. Look back on what it took to get a CIB during the Vietnam war and now look at what it takes. There's a huge difference, guys. If you're infantry and deploy, count on your CIB regardless of what you do, the same goes for the CMB and the new CAB.

I always try to give the benefit of the doubt until I get to know the guy, but I don't assume he knows his **** just because he's sporting the scare badges.

I'm staying out of this one for personal reasons. I've earned my fair share of things and that's it. I don't talk about nor do I share it. I'm a strange creature.

If you earned something then you earned it.

'Nuff Said...

Honestly, I have nothing against the skill badges, the bronze or silver stars, the CIB, or any medal that recognises long service (eg 15 years plus). It is the meritous service medals that sh*t me to tears. The only meritous service medals in Aus to speak of are the CSC or the CSM and you pretty much need to either have restructured a battalion, rewritten the manual of land warfare or merged 2 brigades successfully in order to get one. There is no lower scale recognition, because at that level, you are just doing your job.

The purple heart is in my humble Australian opinion a joke. Our diggers have been getting shot, stabbed, filled with schrapnel and breaking bones for years... yet they wear nothing to shout it out loud in public. It is part of the Aussie culture that you shut your mouth and get on with it, cos no matter how bad it is there is some other bloke worse off than you. If years down the track you want to show a mate your scars when you are telling tall tales over a few beers, then so be it, but you don't flash it about, and it isn't something to be proud of.

My opinion is that people have a right to be recognized for what they do for their fellow soldiers and for their country in general. I don't know anyone who wears their PH just to go out drinking. I have mine and they stay tucked away in a box in the closet. I know what they mean to me and those who served with me each time know what happened at those times.
Aussienick, I'm sure you folks do things differently and good luck to you. That's no reason to call my Purple Hearts (or anyone else's) a joke. There was nothing even slightly humorous about them to me, I can assure you. IMO, your comment is insulting and unfounded. Your entitled to your opinion but I must take exception to the way you've phrased it.

My opinion is that people have a right to be recognized for what they do for their fellow soldiers and for their country in general. I don't know anyone who wears their PH just to go out drinking. I have mine and they stay tucked away in a box in the closet. I know what they mean to me and those who served with me each time know what happened at those times.
Aussienick, I'm sure you folks do things differently and good luck to you. That's no reason to call my Purple Hearts (or anyone else's) a joke. There was nothing even slightly humorous about them to me, I can assure you. IMO, your comment is insulting and unfounded. Your entitled to your opinion but I must take exception to the way you've phrased it.

Fair chop mate. No insult intended. I've got nothing but respect for our American allies (yourself included), it's just my opinion on that one particular item. I'm sure there a plenty of things about the ADF that you'd find pretty odd as well.

Once again mate, no insult intended to you or any other recipient of the medal. It's just the system that I find odd, and it is just different from the Aussie culture, as I said in my first post. I'll retract the word "joke" as that is probably a bit too strong.

Last edited:
Back