Another stupid protest

Mighty Mouse

SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

I think these nuts should be grateful that the soldiers died for their right to live in a free country and stop being disrespectful.
This guy formed his own church with his own family and it seems like he doesn't like this country, nice guy huh?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050828/ap_on_re_us/soldier_funeral_protests

Disrupting a funeral ought to be against the law. People have a right to their grief in private. Those that violate this should be held to the strictest measure. I say a year or two in prison ought to cool their heals.

THe local radio stations here in Clarksville, TN got a hold of this story on friday. The word was out that anti war protesters were going to ambush the 2 funerals held on SAT. They were rallying for people to come out to support the 2 fallen soldiers. Everyone around here thinks protesting the funeral is extremely disrespectful.

"Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq."

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

I am not a religious Person, but I have read the Bible. Now there is this thing, called Do to others as you would want done to you, or something along those lines...

wow. thats crazy. a funeral is not the place to protest anything, and it is entirely disrespectful. have they now concious? these protesters pick their battles in order to gain national attention, which makes it even worse.

as far as military funerals go, i saw this website and almost cried by the time i was done with it. warning, it happened in texas, but politics aside, it was a great gesture, i think.

http://members.accessus.net/~tmcdonld/lighthse/Texas.htm

I got the 411 from the local radio stations on this one. A few people that were there called it. It seems the protesters were total out numbered by people who were in support of the troops. The police kept the groups seperated all through out the ordeal. I guess people on hogs and tractor trailors stopped by to drown out the protesters with engine noice and horns. As the protesters left, they were chased out by people on foot and in trucks.

People answered the call to combat the idiots who protested the funeral

but still it's sad that it had to get to that stage, the funeral has already been invaded by outside forces,

it's sickening to think you may soon need laws to stop people protesting funerals.

whatever you're politics or personal belief's this HAS to stop

Is that a real Reverand of a real Church, or just a liberal idiot playing a Reverand, so they can try to make Christians look bad?!!

chewie_nz said:
yes....i liberla one saying god hates gays :roll:

What is liberla?

phoenix_aim54 said:
Is that a real Reverand of a real Church, or just a liberal idiot playing a Reverand, so they can try to make Christians look bad?!!

As I said, it looks like he founded his own Baptist chirch with his own family being the only members!

you are correct on that notion Mighty Mouse. The church is solely made up of family members. Who else in their right mind would join such a church?

That is sick, people dishonor God by doing that.

If i might say something; God loves everyone, when Jesus came to earth he ate with sinners, prayed for sinners, talked with sinners, spent time with sinners, and loved sinners, for we are all sinners, but the lord says hate the sin love the sinner; if someone is living in sin you pray for them, you show them love, kindness, courtesy, but to have these people do what they do and say they are spreading God's message is blasphemous.

Arrrr. Blatent, concious, uncalled for, innappropriate, cruel, vicious, demeaning, stupid, aggravating, aggitating, etc. shows of a desire to get attention. Scary thing is, I have met people who, although not this far, are on the road to it.

There are more of them out there!

:crybaby: It's a sad state of affairs when supposedly religious people demonstrate just how stupid and fanatical they can be by desecrating the final moments of a man or woman's bodily existance (their funeral). (I would have said moronic but that would have been a put down for a group of people who can not help themselves and are usually very nice people [morons]). These religious people with their myopic vision of the meaning of "selected" verses from the Bible are guilty of the very thing that they accuse everyone else of being - they are "ungodly".

:twisted: When you look very closely at these screwballs one thing you realize very quickly is that they are not "wrapped" very tightly - their elevators don't "go to the top floor" and they are "light" in their loafers.

:confused: In a word "NUTS".

======================================================

:idea: SOP for dealing with these kooks:

1) Carry a big net - for trapping errant escapees.

2) Carry jacket w/straps - for holding errant escapees.

3) Carry needle filled with tranquilizer - for calming excited escapees.

4) Drive a very very BIG bus - for transporting escapees "back" to the loony bin.

======================================================

It's either follow the SOP or break out the fire hose and cool them off - escapees don't like water.

I never understood the twisting of the Bible, Koran or Talmut for that matter. You'd think that just 10 commandments are easy to understand and the basis of a religion based on love for yourselve and neighbour. How can this twist into something so ugly and disturbing?

Last edited:
Err... yep, that means "G'day" in my hometown dialect. But seriously, because I post a lot from work I get to do this in iregular intervals. Since you automaticcaly get logged out I lose posts. I was checking wether or not it would post. Hence the silly post and the edit underneath.

i really hope that, the next time that family does something like that again, tehy'll get their teeths knocked out or worse!

Back