Another Spitfire nearly rebuilt

Beautiful to watch and that V12 engine is amazing.

If I remember correctly the MkXVI had the 37 litre Rolls Royce Griffon engine.

Thanks for posting this Monty, I enjoyed every second of it:thumb:

Beautiful to watch and that V12 engine is amazing.

If I remember correctly the MkXVI had the 37 litre Rolls Royce Griffon engine.

Thanks for posting this Monty, I enjoyed every second of it:thumb:

No worries, their facebook page has a number of videos about the final stages of its restoration and test flights.

It also seems that they have been given a role in the restoration of another Mosquito initially to display quality, the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre has been given guardianship of a small collection of aircraft
It includes:
- de Havilland Mosquito
- Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk
- Tiger Moth

https://www.omaka.org.nz/projects.html

No worries, their facebook page has a number of videos about the final stages of its restoration and test flights.

It also seems that they have been given a role in the restoration of another Mosquito initially to display quality, the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre has been given guardianship of a small collection of aircraft
It includes:
- de Havilland Mosquito
- Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk
- Tiger Moth

https://www.omaka.org.nz/projects.html

I'd be interested seeing the Mosquito made ready for her airworthy certification, an amazing versatile aeroplane.

At the local flying club there is an airworthy Tiger Moth, trying to take off in our strong South Easter she makes very little forward progress.

I know very little if anything about the Kittyhawk.

Another Lancaster should be airworthy fairly soon, ""Just Jane"" is going through a very detailed restoration.

I would like to see a Wellington made airworthy as well as a Halifax, but I wont hold my breath.

I'd be interested seeing the Mosquito made ready for her airworthy certification, an amazing versatile aeroplane.

At the local flying club there is an airworthy Tiger Moth, trying to take off in our strong South Easter she makes very little forward progress.

I know very little if anything about the Kittyhawk.

Another Lancaster should be airworthy fairly soon, ""Just Jane"" is going through a very detailed restoration.

I would like to see a Wellington made airworthy as well as a Halifax, but I wont hold my breath.

Here is an odd in flight video of the Spitfire doing a few tricks.

http://youtu.be/kpVefKX1XoI

Here is an odd in flight video of the Spitfire doing a few tricks.

http://youtu.be/kpVefKX1XoI

Interesting video, thanks for posting it

Years ago I was in convoy near Boston in the UK when we stopped for a break at a truck stop, as I was sitting inside I heard a Rolls Royce Merlin not far away, I ran outside and saw a Spitfire being put through her aerobatic paces. It was amazing to watch, the sound of the Merlin sent shivers down my spine.

An older chap (who I assumed was a WW2 vet), came and stood beside me simply said ""Beautiful""

My own experience with aerobatics was when I was a 15 year old air cadet in a Chipmunk, two years before I joined the RAF at RAF St Athan. Strangely enough, two years later I did my trade training at RAF St Athan.

Although the Spitfire was a beautiful and iconic aeroplane, the most underrated fighter of the Battle of Britain (and beyond) was the Hawker Hurricane. She could do things the Spitfire could, for example the ""Tank Buster"" in North Africa.

Last edited:
Interesting video, thanks for posting it

Years ago I was in convoy near Boston in the UK when we stopped for a break at a truck stop, as I was sitting inside I heard a Rolls Royce Merlin not far away, I ran outside and saw a Spitfire being put through her aerobatic paces. It was amazing to watch, the sound of the Merlin sent shivers down my spine.

An older chap (who I assumed was a WW2 vet), came and stood beside me simply said ""Beautiful""

My own experience with aerobatics was when I was a 15 year old air cadet in a Chipmunk, two years before I joined the RAF at RAF St Athan. Strangely enough, two years later I did my trade training at RAF St Athan.

Although the Spitfire was a beautiful and iconic aeroplane, the most underrated fighter of the Battle of Britain (and beyond) was the Hawker Hurricane. She could do things the Spitfire could, for example the ""Tank Buster"" in North Africa.

As far as the ETO went RNZAF Squadrons tended to fly the Mosquito, and Typhoons, I think 486 Squadron flew the Hurricane I and 2B in a ground attack role.
In the PTO they mainly flew the F4U Corsair.

As far as the ETO went RNZAF Squadrons tended to fly the Mosquito, and Typhoons, I think 486 Squadron flew the Hurricane I and 2B in a ground attack role.
In the PTO they mainly flew the F4U Corsair.

Both the Mosquito and the Typhoon were amazing aircraft, the Mosquito as you know was a very versatile and the Tiffy had the firepower of a small war ship if I remember correctly. Again if I remember correctly the Royal Navy used limited numbers of Corsairs

Both the Mosquito and the Typhoon were amazing aircraft, the Mosquito as you know was a very versatile and the Tiffy had the firepower of a small war ship if I remember correctly. Again if I remember correctly the Royal Navy used limited numbers of Corsairs

At one stage 486 Squadron also flew the Tempest but it doesn't seem to have been popular with the RNZAF, we stuck to Mosquitos and Typhoons for ground attack and the Mosquito for Pathfinder squadrons.

The Corsair was popular in the Pacific I suspect because it was damn near indestructible.

At one stage 486 Squadron also flew the Tempest but it doesn't seem to have been popular with the RNZAF, we stuck to Mosquitos and Typhoons for ground attack and the Mosquito for Pathfinder squadrons.

The Corsair was popular in the Pacific I suspect because it was damn near indestructible.

The Tempest is basically a typhoon with a thinner laminar flow design for its wing. She was basically used by the RAF.

The RAF also used the Mosquito for pathfinder operations into Germany, she was an amazing versatile aeroplane, even used by the OSS for some of their sorties.

The Tempest is basically a typhoon with a thinner laminar flow design for its wing. She was basically used by the RAF.

The RAF also used the Mosquito for pathfinder operations into Germany, she was an amazing versatile aeroplane, even used by the OSS for some of their sorties.

The Corsair was the RNZAF's most prolific aircraft of WW2, we purchased about 430 of them between 1944-48, interestingly we also had several examples of captured German and Japanese aircraft here for evaluation, it would be interesting to find out what happened to them.

The Corsair was the RNZAF's most prolific aircraft of WW2, we purchased about 430 of them between 1944-48, interestingly we also had several examples of captured German and Japanese aircraft here for evaluation, it would be interesting to find out what happened to them.

Captain Eric Brown of the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm was CO of the enemy aircraft flight in UK, where various types were tested. Eric Brown flew more different types then any other pilot to my knowledge as well as carrier landings and take offs.

426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight RAF, nicknamed "the Rafwaffe", was a Royal Air Force flight formed during the Second World War to evaluate captured enemy aircraft and demonstrate their characteristics to other Allied units. Several aircraft on charge with the RAE Farnborough section were also used by this unit.

I too wonder what happened to those aircraft.

Back