another hypothetical question

behemoth79

If Russia had been a neutral country during WWII, would Germany have been able to win? They would be able to focus their forces to their western front and not have to fight a two front war.

i Don`t think we would have been able to push them out of europe and back into Germany, we would IMO been able to contain them in Europe leading to a stand off.

I dont think it can even be hypothetical because I can't see Russia ever being nuetral...Stalin was too paranoid for that. Besides, Hitler ever since he started the war, his major goal was to destroy communism and Russia. He saw Russia as a prize that could bring massive economy to the nation to help purify the world around them. Hitler believed in the Lebensraum too heavily to give up Russia. But, no we couldn't have won if Russia wasn't there :?

kar98k said:
I dont think it can even be hypothetical because I can't see Russia ever being nuetral...Stalin was too paranoid for that. Besides, Hitler ever since he started the war, his major goal was to destroy communism and Russia. He saw Russia as a prize that could bring massive economy to the nation to help purify the world around them. Hitler believed in the Lebensraum too heavily to give up Russia. But, no we couldn't have won if Russia wasn't there :?

Agreed. Hitler's ambitions lay East and South, not West. And there's no way that the Western Allies would have been able to even think about landing in Normandy etc without having the Soviet Union on their side. I also highly doubt the USSR could have remained neutral either.

Doppleganger said:
kar98k said:

Agreed. Hitler's ambitions lay East and South, not West. And there's no way that the Western Allies would have been able to even think about landing in Normandy etc without having the Soviet Union on their side. I also highly doubt the USSR could have remained neutral either.

Totally agree as well.

The fight would have been longer and harder, but I have know doubt that we would have won in the finish. Much of this would have depended on just what new weapons both side might have developed in the mean time. Also there could have an atomic bomb used in Germany.

I believe if we didn't have the Russian's fighting it would have been hard but we would have won because of all the foolish decisions Hitler had made in that war. :rambo:

Doppleganger said:

Bout sums the whole situation up, Russia could never had been neutral because of Hilters ambitions in the east. And the bread basket known as Ukraine.

Trusting Hitler was the one time where Stalin should have been more paranoid rather than less. Whenever Germany invaded the Soviets had made no preparations. The suprise was complete and total. The reason why the Soviets hadn't prepared for a German invasion? Stalin wanted to show good will to Hitler and thought preparing would run contrary to that goal. Stalin didn't want to risk a war with Germany, instead he was content to simply solidify his control over the Soviet Union.

Lastly, to give you an idea of how complete the suprise was. Russia lost an estimated two thousand aircraft on the first day of Operation Barbarossa.

Anyway, if the Soviet Union had stayed neutral than Hitler wouldn't have been distracted from Operation Sea Lion. Ultimately I believe that the Germans would have fought a long and bloody campaign in the British Isles before being forced off by a combination of American and British forces. The end result would have been dramatically higher British and American casaulties.

Without Russia's involvement I believe what is happening in Iraq today would have happened in Europe- a bloody occupation and insurrection. If the might of the German machine was turned and focused on Great Britain she could not stay afloat. No disrespect intended but just look at the math of the numbers that would then be arrayed like an arrow at group of islands a scant few miles from occupied land and thousands of miles from Allied help. Now I do not believe the British people would give up fighting and resisting but the military would have been crushed.

But a very good point was brought up in regards to Hitler's mental state and the number of blunders he made. The biggest being attacking Russia. The latest documentary I saw in regards to Hitler said he was suffering from tertiary syphillis and parkinsons disease... that would explain alot.

I think that if Hitler would have concentrated on winning in the western front and not turned on Russia he would have won. Russia I think would not have gotten too involved if Hitler wouldn' thave betrayed them.

Back