Another example of hypocritical Europe.

Ted said:
Well LG, my opinion on British beer is made by the uber-brits from The Specials: " the beer tastes just like piss". I have tried on many occasions to drink this foul smelling, warm syrup, which reminds me of travel diarrhea. I prefer a strong Belgian tripple beer anyday of the week. For Pilzerner I'll have a Czech or German pilz. The only decent beer from that island is made by the Irish!! (Sorry for bringing that up guys)

Hell yeah, Leffe and Hoegarden all the way! Some British ales are pretty good though. Other than that, I've been drinking British Carling lager for the past 3 years of my life. It ain't good the first time and it won't get any better any of the other times. But it was good enough to provide a lot of fun.

bulldogg said:
Only in this forum could a thread about global warming end up being a pissing contest about beer.
:)

Why yes! Did you not know that the two are intimately connected? Don't remember how exactly...Let me grab another beer.

For starters IG: I care! Secondly; it is useless because the major players are not ready to do any concessions. It is too expensive, the others won't stick to them and many many more excuses.
They bagatalize the problem by saying: well every so often the earth heats up. True, but this time a few hundred million of people will die!

1 liter of petrol gives 600 times more energy than 1 liter of gas, and huge powers such as the rich oil countries will do whatever they can do to prolong their oil imperiums, it doesn't matter if it is dangerous to the enviroment or not. We try on various ways to reduce the amounts of CO2, such as pumping CO2 back into depleted oil wells to get the last amounts of oil on the ground - but then we again prolong the oil age...

Unless someone comes up with a kick a** fuel source and the oil companies are going through legal law suits for hurricane generation caused by using their oil based products - the Koyoto agreement will come in on second place.

Last edited:
Yep, if you are a stand-up guy and admit what are don't do, then you're the villian.

If you're a charlatain that says one thing and does another, you're the hero.

So hoorah for the charlatains!

I think you are too critical of the oil companies, they are good business men and realize that before long their supply of oil will run out and they need to have a product to sell, they are already adjusting to produce and sell more E-85 and more vehicles are being designed to run on E-85. Advances in hybrids mean that even without E-85 gas consumption will start to go down, of course hybrids would sell better if someone would come up with the not so brilliant idea of putting a hybrid engine/motor in Ford Explorer chassis, we love SUV's because they are bigger, not for their off road capabilities, something that is rarely if ever used.

There is a plant under construction at the present time in southern Wyoming that will produce very high quality diesel fuel from coal.

This foolish drivel of the oil companies controlling the world is just so much ignorant liberal blather.

Rabs, should we wish to discuss TRUE European hypocrisy I would offer the following...

Hatred of Israel is the most striking symptom of the Western disease. On the face of it the dilemma there is a no-brainer for any classic liberal: A consensual government is besieged by fanatical suicide killers who are subsidized and cheered on by many dictators in the Arab world. The bombers share the same barbaric methods as Chechens, the 9/11 murderers, al Qaedists in Turkey, and what we now see in Iraq.

Indeed, the liberal Europeans should love Israel, whose social and cultural institutions — universities, the fine arts, concern for the “other” — so reflect its own. Gays are in the Israeli military, whose soldiers rarely salute, but usually address each other by their first names and accept a gender equity that any feminist would love. And while Arabs once may have been exterminated by Syrians, gassed in Yemen by Egypt, ethnically cleansed in Kuwait, lynched without trial in Palestine, burned alive in Saudi Arabia, inside Israel proper they vote and enjoy human rights not found elsewhere in the Arab Middle East.

When Europe frets over the “Right of Return” do they mean the over half-million Jews who were sent running for their lives from Egypt, Syria, and Iraq? Or do they ever ask why a million Arabs live freely in Israel and another 100,000 illegally have entered the “Zionist entity”? Does a European ever ask what would happen should thousands of Jews demand “A Right of Return” to Cairo?

Instead, the elite Westerner talks about “occupied lands” from which Israel has been attacked four times in the last 60 years — in a manner that Germans do not talk about an occupied West they coughed up to France or an occupied East annexed by Poland. Russia lectures about Jenin, but rarely its grab of Japanese islands. Turkey is worried about the West Bank, but not its swallowing much of Cyprus. China weighs in about Palestinian sovereignty but not the entire culture of Tibet; some British aristocrats bemoan Sharon’s supposed land grab, but not Gibraltar.

All these foreign territories that were acquired through blood and iron and held on to by reasons of “national security” are somehow different matters when Jews are not involved. Yet give Israel a population of 250 million, massive exports of oil and terrorists — and wipe away anti-Semitism — and even the Guardian or Le Monde would change its tune.
http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson200312300000.asp

Is THIS not hypocrisy??

Come on Bulldogg, what is this? When did you start to use the binairy approach: all that is not 1 is automatically 0!

Hatred of Israel is the most striking symptom of the Western disease.

Being critical doesn't make you a hating entitiy! Yes I am critical about the building of that wall, the attacks on refugee camps or head shots by rock throwing kids against a Merkava Tank. And no, I don't think that action without overlooking the consequenses are the way to go. Rabin understood this during the '90's and Sharon now......

All these foreign territories that were acquired through blood and iron and held on to by reasons of “national security” are somehow different matters when Jews are not involved.

So what does this mean? That we have different standards when it concerns Jews?....... I hope not, because you should know better. And yes we are hypocritical in many cases, so is everybody on the stage of world politics.

So what does this mean? That we have different standards when it concerns Jews?....... I hope not, because you should know better. And yes we are hypocritical in many cases, so is everybody on the stage of world politics.
amen.

Isn't hte author of this fine piece of research the one and same as that other article that made my blood boil? You know... that one about the Old Land? I reckon it is....

Yep I thought so! Where did they find him..... he must lead a happy life in that Hoover institute.

Last edited:
He is a tenured professor at Stanford University and a farmer near Fresno, California. Proof positive stereotypes of both Californians and academics are highly flawed assumptions.

Europehas an extremely horrible past when it comes to the Jews. Even prior to Hitler they had long been the whipping boys of all European peoples, hell the word ghetto itself comes from the name given the place where the Jews lived in a city.

I would argue that the Holocaust caused but a temporary sense of shame and remorse and that the vast majority of Europeans do not give a monkey's flying nether regions about the Jewish people in Israel or in Europe. There are laws against anti-semitism in places but were the sentiments of the common folk in favour of the Jews I would argue the laws would be unnecessary. Hate crimes and neo-nazi groups are common still across the continent.

There is a double standard when it comes to Europeans and their treatment of Israel. A country besieged on all sides cannot afford the stance of appeasement Europeans would have them follow. Raids on refugee camps would cease were the refugees refusing shelter to terrorists carrying out attacks against Israelis. Kids would not be being shot in the head were they not throwing rocks at a tank in the first place.

Sit in the tank and tell me at even as short a range as 50 metres that you can discern a rock from a hand grenade. Don't want to get bit, don't kick the dog.

I agree with you that the Jews have gotten the short end of the stick on many occasions. But imo this has been linked with religion and not with racism or anti-semitism.
The third lateran Concily (hope I translated this correctly) in 1179 forced the Jews to live in separate quarters in the city. Over the ages and in many cities they choose to live together, thus making the best of a bad situation. It is kinda like the Italians, Irish and Chinese quarters in many American cities.

For the rest I more or less agree with you. I have trouble with your "all Europeans" because that would include me and many of whom I know that this doesn't apply. Europe did learn it's lesson after WW II and therefor are we very susceptible the breaches of human right. Even when committed by the Israeli! We point at this fact, but de facto action has rarely been taken. Hypocritical.... maybe..... wrong, I don't think so!

I didn't say "all", just Europeans, a bit of a blanket statement but let me refine it to "it would appear that most Europeans"... better?

I would also point out that in the case of Jews you cannot seperate religion from anti-semitism as you try in the above post. What makes a jew a jew is their religion and anti-semitism and racism with this one particular culture are inseperable from their religion.

Its also a bit of a specious argument to link forced segregation with voluntarily flocking together in a new country.

Last edited:
I didn't say "all", just Europeans, a bit of a blanket statement but let me refine it to "it would appear that most Europeans"... better?

"...long been the whipping boys of all European peoples,"

But this is beside the real argument :) The reason why I threw in the religion bit is that with the secularisation of Europe, the "they murdered Jezus" argument is lessening. This has been an excuse from Roman days to have a progrom once in a while. The Russians had their own reasons and more progroms.... but that is a different story.

Its also a bit of a specious argument to link forced segregation with voluntarily flocking together in a new country.

Yes, you got me there. I have no clue what to say or how to relay this bit! :thumb:

Back