Another blow to peronal responsibility

Duty Honor Country

In today's world, no one is responsible for their actions.

Judge upholds verdict
Stadium vendor liable for selling beer to drunken fan

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- A state judge on Friday upheld a $105 million verdict against a Giants Stadium concessionaire for selling beer to a drunken football fan who later caused an auto accident, leaving a girl paralyzed.

State Superior Court Judge Richard J. Donohue in Hackensack rejected an effort by Philadelphia-based Aramark Corp. to throw out or reduce the verdict.

Its vendors sold beer to Daniel Lanzaro of Cresskill during a 1999 New York Giants game hours before he caused a car crash that left then 2-year-old Antonia Verni paralyzed from the neck down.

"It sends a message to Aramark and other beer concessions around the state that they have to change their ways," said David Mazie, a Roseland lawyer representing Verni's family...
READ MORE

This stuff bugs the hell out of me. Another favorite is how the marijuana advocates (i.e. hippies :lol: ) swear up and down that pot is safe and smokers are persecuted out of ignorance and apparent random maliciousness by the government, but when someone commits a crime while they're high, it becomes an issue of "being under the influence" and therefore they are no longer responsible for their actions. Want some cake? :?

In the academic world the lack of personal responsibility is out of hand, too many kids around here are handed everything they ever got and have absolutely no concept of earning anything in the real world. It's funny, but also kind of scary, when some kid driving a new BMW and living off a $1000/month "allowance" from mommy and daddy (I am not exagerating here) tries to tell me how they are fighting for the working class' needs. I'm sorry, but they have no idea what we need, I've held down jobs since I was 14 years old, including construction, firefighting, and the technical powerhouse that is furniture moving, and some punk wants to tell me that what I know is right about life in the real world is wrong.

:lol: Sorry, kind of blew out my breach there.

This kind of thing is why I'm most worried about the direction America is going. We've got crazy liberal lawsuits fundamentally changing the way the law is to be viewed (that citizens are stupid fools who need to be controlled by corporations and the gov't) and meanwhile the response from the conservative side is to send the FCC after Howard Stern? Jesus Christ, does anyone have a head on their shoulders these days?

Are you sure this is a "personal responsibility" case?

The laws about serving intoxicated patrons are fairly straight forward and the vendor seems to have broken those (assuming of course that the vendor was the only source of alcohol).

Problem as I see it is in the monstorous amount of cash being awarded in lawsuits which is more a judicial failing than a personal failing.

I dont however disagree with the sentiment that person responsibility has become a joke but this is a trend throughout the entire western world and not US specific.

Redneck said:
In the academic world the lack of personal responsibility is out of hand, too many kids around here are handed everything they ever got and have absolutely no concept of earning anything in the real world. It's funny, but also kind of scary, when some kid driving a new BMW and living off a $1000/month "allowance" from mommy and daddy (I am not exagerating here) tries to tell me how they are fighting for the working class' needs. I'm sorry, but they have no idea what we need, I've held down jobs since I was 14 years old, including construction, firefighting, and the technical powerhouse that is furniture moving, and some punk wants to tell me that what I know is right about life in the real world is wrong.

Right on.
Most of them don't even interact with the working class. I've got to admit I usually have a pretty generous allowance but I have held down working class type jobs here and there. I used to work in a factory just to see what it was like, and I also worked at a retirement home for a while. And didn't run either of those as some kind of "manager standing in" etc. I was a regular grunt where my credentials didn't apply.
Even then I don't pretend that I know what it's like to be working class. But I do know enough that a lot of these kids have the wrong assumptions about them... the Communistic ideal model I guess.
There's nothing glorious about being poor. Nothing. If I need a new CD player, I can go outside and get one. Just like that. A heck of a lot of people cannot do that. They have to sit down, think, calculate and maybe wait a few weeks or a month and do so.
Urrgh.
The most sophisticated piece of travelling equipment I've had is a mountain bike, but by far my mode of transport have been shoes. I wear them until a good deal of the sole is actually foam and not even rubber :lol:
I think (and hope) I have a decent sense of self responsibility. The only problem is when I mess up I have a very hard time forgiving myself. :(

Oh wonderful....

and, say if a teenager shoots someone, and they can't blame substances, they'll find a video game in the house- *sues company*

This reminds me of something that is somewhat related:

A person sued a microwave company for false advertisement. Apparently, this person dries his pet cat in an oven (now why the hell he does that I am not sure). He bought a brand new microwave and saw the tag "works just like an oven". Well, guess what idea he got...

Why you can be stupid and hold other people accountable is beyond me. Sigh.

They need to work out a "Disbarrment for a Really, Really Stupid Court Rulings" a.k.a. "WTF Were YOU thinking, ya retard???" process for judges in the USA.

godofthunder9010 said:
They need to work out a "Disbarrment for a Really, Really Stupid Court Rulings" a.k.a. "WTF Were YOU thinking, ya retard???" process for judges in the USA.

infringment notices;

talking to the media while drunk and/or being overly stereotypical

using a product in a manner that required a blatently obvious warning label to be applied to all future products

not thinking about your actions and as a result hurt/killed;
a/ innocent bystander
b/ yourself

Back